Riptide ukuleles new vs old

SAM!2

Reaction score
As shown here, there is a new 2011/2012 look for riptide ukuleles. However, according to Amazon reviews such as this, the newer version has less quality sound/build (contrary to the first video). Has anyone compared the two? I recently bought the old model and I'm thinking if I should return it or not. Help please! Thanks.

I've played quite a few of the older ones and only one newer one. Only difference I noticed was the ugly logo on top was gone.

My brother has a very cheap (old style) Riptide Baritone...
...I was really surprised on how good the thing sounded. He ordered it from Amazon and it was not "set up", and intonation was perfect, smooth frets, and low action.
He switched to GCEA strings from Southcoast and it sounds impressive.

My brother has a very cheap (old style) Riptide Baritone...
...I was really surprised on how good the thing sounded. He ordered it from Amazon and it was not "set up", and intonation was perfect, smooth frets, and low action.
He switched to GCEA strings from Southcoast and it sounds impressive.

I liked the sound these ukes give. I couldn't get over that logo...but now that it is gone;)

Sorry bump. No one has played the new riptide ukulele and has any complaints about it? I don't really care about the looks, just how it sounds. Can anyone comment on how the new riptide sounds? compared to the old model? I will return my ukulele tomorrow unless anyone can say that the old model really sounds better?! Urgent!

Sorry bump. No one has played the new riptide ukulele and has any complaints about it? I don't really care about the looks, just how it sounds. Can anyone comment on how the new riptide sounds? compared to the old model? I will return my ukulele tomorrow unless anyone can say that the old model really sounds better?! Urgent!

Just to let you know, not many people own these ukes. I've only gotten to play them because I live close to ukerepublic.

Oh I see. Thanks for the response anyway. Everything would be fine but that one amazon review makes me worried.

Oh I see. Thanks for the response anyway. Everything would be fine but that one amazon review makes me worried.

Its one review. Compare it to dolphins reviews here. You'd think the dolphin is the best uke out there...its not. Tell you the truth they are quite cheap and sound that way.

Sam, what someone thinks about their Riptide has nothing to do with yours. If you like the sound of your insrument enjoy it; if not, return or sell it.

Haven't tried the new one either...but have the old one. Despite the goofy Riptide logo, I have really enjoyed playing it. Very good intonation and sustain. Had the action lowered a bit and that made an terrific difference in ease of playing.

If you like the feel and sound, keep it. If not, well, the grass is always greener (and lots of ukuleles consider).

Top Bottom