The lightest tuners?

Sayyadina

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to change tuners on my Risa koa concert because the ones it came with (some closed geared ones without a brand name) are rather heavy and make the uke very neck heavy. I have read the tuner threads on the board and they were somewhat helpful, but weren't really about the weight. So what are the lightest (geared) tuners on the market?
And how much do friction tuners weigh in comparison? I have seen there are super light peghed tuners on the market now, but they are rather expensive and I don't like how they look at all.
Thank you for your help! :)

To some, there are advantages to weight up top on the headstock. These would be the builders, some of them, okay, less than some of them. And, they could also be players that understand fundamentals of the build in regards to weight up top, which are even less than the less than some of them.

Of course, most boards are full of players that will tell you otherwise, and the builders that condone weight up top usually don't say anything.

Personally, I think pegheads are very light, but I'd never use them, too light . . .

-Aaron

To some, there are advantages to weight up top on the headstock. These would be the builders, some of them, okay, less than some of them. And, they could also be players that understand fundamentals of the build in regards to weight up top, which are even less than the less than some of them.

Of course, most boards are full of players that will tell you otherwise, and the builders that condone weight up top usually don't say anything.

Personally, I think pegheads are very light, but I'd never use them, too light . . .

-Aaron

Thanks for your answer, I find it a bit hard to understand what you mean :).
What do you mean by fundamentals of the build in regards to weight up top? That it's not good if the top is too light? Why would that be?

Thanks for your answer, I find it a bit hard to understand what you mean
Indeed it appears you are saying the thing once, twice, three times a... whatever.

So you think it is a good thing to have a bit of weight on the neck part of your uke. No problem. What is your motivation/foundation for that? Personal preference, balance for the left arm (too light does not have to bee good always), does it hang better from a wall, more momentum when you swing?
Please enlighten us in one clear sentence ;)

I, for one, found a Koaloha superconcert in the store to be a bit awkward to hold due to the top-heaviness. I'm sure you get used to it, but my beginner skills tend to focus around the soundhole/body, and that's where I like my balance point.

On topic again, Gotoh UK12 aluminums are really light.

Last edited:
i would think that the friction tuners are lighter cuz they have less parts, but i really dont know. ask mr. frodo here on uu. our own little howlin hobbit. :nana:

LOTR RULES!

Top Bottom