Those with tenor and concert - give me your impressions of why I would want both

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Just recently purchased a nice tenor uke and I am having a blast with it, even though I don't know what I'm doing quite yet. That will come. Question is, having the tenor already, I'm naturally curious about what the potential advantages/disadvantages might be in acquiring a concert uke as well. I do believe I will purchase another tenor to leave in low G, but for those of you with both tenor and concert, tell me what you like and kinda don't like about both the tenor and the concert size. Thanks

Just recently purchased a nice tenor uke and I am having a blast with it, even though I don't know what I'm doing quite yet. That will come. Question is, having the tenor already, I'm naturally curious about what the potential advantages/disadvantages might be in acquiring a concert uke as well. I do believe I will purchase another tenor to leave in low G, but for those of you with both tenor and concert, tell me what you like and kinda don't like about both the tenor and the concert size. Thanks
I like the tenor for the fuller sound. I also like physically playing the tenor scale. When I play pop songs or songs from the the singer/songwriter period, I prefer the tenor, and my super tenor which I have in low G. When I play Hawaiian songs or songs from Tin Pan Alley, I love the traditional ukulele sound that I get from the concert. I like having the options. I am also picking up a soprano.

All sizes are good.

Must have all sizes. Many, many different models in all sizes...

...and different makers...

...and different shapes and colors and woods...

...must have more ukes...

Scooter

If you're looking for a legit way to validate the uas, the concert will give you more of a soprano tone with a little more room for your fingers than the soprano. I like playing sopranos and tenors, so I split the difference for a travel uke.

Some songs require a rather long stretch between frets. The concert helps a lot in reaching those pain free. Any uker with any serious UAS won't rest until they have two tenors, one high G and one low G, and at least one of the smaller sizes. I have five now. Low G tenor, high G tenor, concert and soprano, plus a self made cigar box uke.

To me, there isn't really a great reason to own more than one ukulele. However, if you are someone who is afflicted with UAS and must own more than one (or ten), you might as well get more variety by getting different sizes to start with. (before moving on to different woods, makers, etc. etc...)

Impossible question. If you like the tenor and all you want is a dedicated low G instrument, you should probably get a tenor. I don't like to mess with success, unless its simply for experiment. I'd wait until I was buying one I didn't need to get a concert. And I am primarily a concert player.

It took me a while and some experimenting to realize that a tenor is perfect for Low-G tuning. The concert which I keep in High-G provides a bit more room to navigate around the fretboard and I use it to get the hang of a tune and then move it to the soprano where I like the more traditional uke tone little better. For overall tone, I've found I really like a pineapple soprano and plan to expand the family in that direction.

Last edited:
i am a tenor player, i love tenors because they are really loud, they are great for fingerpicking as well as strumming, i do own one concert, and to be honest i did'nt play it much, a couple of weeks ago i dug it out dusted it down and played it for the next week and i really had a ball, it was nice to hear that soprano sound again whilst still being able to fingerpick, another thing that struck me was that some of my chord positions were not half as much of a stretch on the concert, would i buy another one, well for me one is enough, but if i did'nt have one i would certainly buy one they can be really refreshing

One disadvantage for a beginner is that playing ukes with two different scales and fretboards might confuse muscle/finger memory.

I think if your are going to own two, those are the two scales to own. I am not afflicted with "lowGtis" but if I were I would have the Tenor at low G and the concert high G. The best of both worlds. For me? "gimme reentrant or gimme death"!

No reason to have both. Pick which scale is most comfortable and go with it. I find the concert & sopranos the most comfortable, but still have 1 excellent tenor.

No reason to have both. Pick which scale is most comfortable and go with it. I find the concert & sopranos the most comfortable, but still have 1 excellent tenor.

That's pretty funny,......"No reason to have both".........yet it appears you have all three scales from the rest of your statement. :)

Admit it,......you have the same UAS most of us have aquired! :drool:

To me, there isn't really a great reason to own more than one ukulele. However, if you are someone who is afflicted with UAS and must own more than one (or ten), you might as well get more variety by getting different sizes to start with. (before moving on to different woods, makers, etc. etc...)
you aren't really saying this, are you? :)

Having had a tenor and some concerts I believe I figured out the best of both worlds -- a super-concert! I love it. I like the body size of a concert but like the tenor neck. This is my one ukulele I play.

you aren't really saying this, are you? :)

Having had a tenor and some concerts I believe I figured out the best of both worlds -- a super-concert! I love it. I like the body size of a concert but like the tenor neck. This is my one ukulele I play.

Of course I'm saying it! It means I don't really have a good reason for owning a bunch of ukes other than having UAS! :p

Everything in life evolves and goes in circles. If you get the chance to buy a nice uke, buy it no matter what size it is.

Hopefully it finds a niche in your repetroire; but, if not, it will in time because you need these things.

People say you can't take money with you when you finally go and that's a good reason to buy ukes.

Because you can? :)

Aloha,
For me I like the different sound qualities I get from my tenors and concerts. Also different from uke to uke in the same size. I tend to pick a particular uke for the sound I want for a certain song.
Finger picking chords on a tenor can be a little difficult stretching on some chords so I change to a concert scale.
I have my tenors and concerts with re-entrant and linear tunings so I'd have a variety of sounds.
My Mango Concert low g sounds almost as good as my best tenor low g Koa wood, just lacks volume.
I do have quite a bit of ukes and I don't apologize for it cause I love all of them and do play them all.
My Ukulele Ohana; No one gets left behind...................................BO...............................

I'm on board with others here. I play my tenor for more modern music and jazz, my concert for traditional Hawaiian (or reggae, et al) and when I'm feeling blue. They both have different voices. I'd say, play as many as you can get your grubby little hands on, and figure out what type of music you're drawn to. Then just give in . . . UAS is real. Good luck and happy strumming.

Some songs require a rather long stretch between frets. The concert helps a lot in reaching those pain free. Any uker with any serious UAS won't rest until they have two tenors, one high G and one low G, and at least one of the smaller sizes. I have five now. Low G tenor, high G tenor, concert and soprano, plus a self made cigar box uke.

You still need a banjo uke too! :)

Top Bottom