Good uke for travel???

steelarts

Reaction score
I'm off on a fishing trip to India early next year and am looking to take a uke with me to play around camp. Any ideas? I don't want to spend a fortune and am thinking Makala Dolphin or Flea. The Flea is about 6x more expensive than the Dolphin, but I don't mind paying if it's worth it as a travel uke.

The flea can take a beating, but the soundboard is pine and is pretty soft. I love my flea, but there is something to be said about a cheap dolphin that you can bring in the boat without worrying.

Another option would be to go plastic

I'm off on a fishing trip to India early next year and am looking to take a uke with me to play around camp. Any ideas? I don't want to spend a fortune and am thinking Makala Dolphin or Flea. The Flea is about 6x more expensive than the Dolphin, but I don't mind paying if it's worth it as a travel uke.

I like the kala thin line travel ukes. Can't go wrong for the price:quality. And it travels easily

Carbon fiber by karadoo! Never have to worry about anything, even a bullet!

Not sure how inexpensive or small you want to go but the Kala KA-S seems like it should do the trick. $65 or so and good sound for the money in this newb's opinion.

Well, I don't have a carbon fiber uke (not that I don't want one), but I do sport a Fluke walking across campus, walking the dog, and longer travels. My criteria for a travel instrument included 1) exceptional durability, 2) tenor, and 3) relatively loud. Domestic manufacturing and color choices were welcomed extras. The Fluke has car camped from the beaches of the East coast to Utah.

Last week, I strummed across campus, and was fine until the first landing of a stairwell. I caught my toe, bumped my shin, and "splat" went my Fluke. It fell soundboard down, perfectly flat with no bouncing. The bruise faded, and the Fluke was without a mark. However, I just almost took my KoAloha on my trek across campus.

Lessons Learned
1. Do not strum while climbing stairs.
2. If you have a travel uke, use it.

The kala thin body travel ukes sound good and are nIce and thin, come with a soft gig bag that fits nice and snug. Easy to get in overhead bin on plane above carryon bags. Sturdy too. Lots of volume.

I've gotta also vote for the Kala thinline. I don't have one now, but someone loaned me one that I played one for several months. It has an amazing volume for such a thin instrument. I've been thinking of getting one just because I liked everything about it. And it is a good travel uke.

my Kala travel uke should be with me tomorrow, really happy i bought it after reading some of the posts here tonight

I'd opt for a Blackbird Carbon Fiber uke. Not only would it be way more durable, you wouldn't have to worry about humidity, water, dirt, dust... really anything. You could play it in the water, bury it in the mud, cover it with fish guts, then wash it down with a hose and some dish soap. At the end of the day, you will still have a very nice sounding uke to play.

I've beat the crap out of my Ovation/Applause acoustic/electric UAE20's over the years and they still sound and play sweet. With their lyracord backs and solid spruce tops they are both durable and sonically sweet. They take about a year and a half to break in, so many do not have the patience to do that. It's more than worth the wait. I also recommend solid body ukes like Stagg, Elleuke and Peanut. They are all rugged for road trips. Ric

ukulele324.jpg

35858Ukulele110.jpg

Ukulele228.jpg

My granddaughter Starlyn guarding my black UAE20:

HuntingtonBeachUke5.jpg

On a trip to the Philippines in 2008. I played it on a boat off 100 Islands, Philippines while sea water was constantly splashing on it. It still plays perfect to this day:

Ukulele530.jpg

Ukulele562.jpg

Earth Day at the Mission San Luis Rey in Oceanside, California. Above and behind me on the left and right are two Vox DA5 amps hanging from the frame by bungee cords. They each have a microphone and instrument cable plugged into them. If you look close enough, you’ll see a boom microphone stand on both the left and right:

Ukulele582.JPG

RolandAmp3.JPG

RolandAmp6.JPG

Here’s an Airline solid body I performed on at the Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim in 2010:

NAMM201005.JPG

This is a Stagg Tenor Strat played from it’s headphone jack through a $5 buck set of amplified computer speakers:

StaggUkeAmp.JPG

Eleuke played through the same speakers:

EleukeAmp.JPG

Between me and my sons we have three Kala travel ukes, love them, very tough and portable. They have been with us to several countries and on long camping trips. I have played Fleas and like them too. I love that they are made in the US, I do have to say I didn't like the Flea with the plastic fret board. If you do get the Flea I would pay the extra for the wood fret board. Good luck.

All ukes are -by definition- travel instruments:)

All ukes are -by definition- travel instruments:)

Thank you.

I never have nor will I ever understand what makes a thin uke any more a travel uke then any other ukulele. I have not ever traveled with a uke and wishes it were thinner to meet some size restriction. I am sure the kala and everyother thin uke is a fine instrument but it is not any easier to travel with.

Get a decent soprano and rock out.

following this discussion because I'm trying to figure out which uke to take to the beach for a week in May (Fort Myers).

I'm leery of taking either of my wood ukes because of the salt, sand, humidity, sweat, etc. I'm afraid they'll get damaged. The Dolphin seems the obvious choice but I feel like I won't be able to hear it well enough on a windy beach due to it's small size.

#2 I was a bit confused about you mentioning going plastic as an alternative to the Makala Dolphin.

The new Makala Dolphins are plastic, and can take a hell of a beating. I regularly bring mine to the skatepark in my skatepack, needless to say it's taken a quite a few hits and still works perfectly. I would recommend going plastic if you want something cheap and durable.

I guess I don't need to say you should replace the strings with Acquila Nylguts, and you've got an awesome little 'travel' uke :)

I guess i would go cheap in case it was sat on or lifted, but that's my opinion. The Makala Dolphin in my car takes a hell of a beating and works like a charm. I had a plastic one from Toys R Su that did the job on a beach trip, small enough to fit in my carry on bag. If you're going electric - Peanut! Sooo portable. This is now my travel ukulele, and I fly quite a bit. Fun to play on the plane. Thank you all for the many terrific photos from your travels, I'm really enjoying these!

My definition of a good travel uke is one that sounds and plays ok and is easily replaced.
The cost of an instrument is one factor, but sentimental value is some thing the can't be replaced.
I use Dolphins and my Fluke for those trips to the beach and camping where I don't want to expose one of my other ukuleles too.

Top Bottom