Changing the regular strings around soas to have a low g tuning

smokemeister25

Reaction score
I was wondering about changing the order of my high G set so i would have low G tune. does it work at all, and if so, how well? i can't find a low G in my area so thought i'd try just swappig them around. i have one coming with my new uke when it's delivered. do they make low G strings that are all nylon as well as wrapped. is one easier to play or does it sound better on a tenor?

so if it works what would that mean doing? swapping the normal C string to a low G and then make the normal E into the C and then use the others where? the other two are about the same diameter....

or would it work better if i used one of the wound low classical guitar strings for a low G on a uke? and if it does work should i try an E or an A?

it's tough living in a ukulele wasteland. nothing available to buy locally. anybody from the forum live in pgh pa that would like to meet a fellow uke fan??????

thanks

Moving strings around like that almost never works. The C string is fat enough as it is, but trying to tune it all the way down to G makes it so floppy as to be nearly useless. You're really better off buying a set designed for low G that has the correct diameters and tension for each string.

An unwound G is usually pretty fat, so you may have to alter your nut for it to fit in the slot. Wound strings ( G, and even C) aren't that bad, are thinner, and can sound much better than the alternative.

Although going low G on a soprano is physically possible, the small body size doesn't lend itself well acoustically to the low registers. After much experimenting, I'm sticking with low G only on my Tenor.

Last edited:
thanks for the help. i kinda thought swapping them around wouldn't be the best solution... otherwise why would they make ones to sell. :) i'm gonna put them on a tenor

I used a spare 3rd string in the 4th spot but had to tune up to D to get a good sound. Dirk at Southcoast suggests tuning a tenor in D anyway.

I use these with the D'Addario J71 tenor strings:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ingle-classical-guitar-string/104564000000000

Free shipping.

If you decide to go with a non-wound string, it will most likely require the nut slot to be widened; they're pretty thick.- DaveVisi mentioned this, need to read things more closely :p

Some prefer nylon and some prefer wound. It just comes down to personal preference.

Many like the South Coast linear set. They come with both a wound G and C:
http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/fwound.htm

Last edited:
I don't live in the Burg, but not too far away in WV. Worth makes a non wound low G set - brown.

I always string my Tenor ukulele as Low G using a normal High G set.
As Pedalfreak says above,use C for G,use E for C,BUT I then fit the HIGH G
string for E and leave the A string in place!
Works fine for me,the Low G is never too loose and floppy,as some claim.
Have done this for ages now and its okay.

Last edited:
There are probably more than a few of us who play Soprano - Long Neck Soprano - Concert - Tenor - Baritone with linear low 4 tuning. If it were such a bad thing, I wonder why string makers run it as an option. The first song from Hawaii to Mainland was a piece calling for a low G. Dirk at Southcoast with the cuatro tuning made me wonder about low g and low a on a soprano. Take a low g and just pull it up a full tone. When I had James Hill play it, he was intrigued. I gave him a low g for his tenor. He said he was going to string up one of his tenors with the cuatro tuning. I wonder if he ever did it.

Top Bottom