What gives?

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was just sitting here thinking Uke. The ukes I built. The Ukes I set up. The ukes I want to build. I started counting ukes I set up, built and or sold over the past year. I'm small time, so it hasn't been as many as you would think since I don't do this for a living, but more of a hobby. But, after counting, I have sold and sent 6 of my ukes to Hawaii. I started thinking, why the heck would someone from the meca of Ukes, builders etc, would someone from there bother with buying and being sent a uke from here. Don't get me wrong, there are awsome ukes from the mainland, but I am talking at my level. I don't built high end (yet) $600-$1500 ukes like some of our craftsmen. But I am talking more moderate priced ukes (under $200). I would think the choices of local shops in Hawaii would have an abundance of choices to bother having one shipped in to the island. I think it is cool, and love it, but just odd. I even have a few in South America, and a couple I sent and going to be sending to Asia. Kinda cool, but.. Dunno, maybe I been lazy today and didn't do anything but ponder, lol..

Just a guess on my part, but I always assumed that most of the $200 ukuleles for sale in Hawaii are made in factories in Asia and may not be set up before sale. So maybe it's the opportunity to get a set-up ukulele for a non-set-up price, or to get a hand built ukulele for the price of a factory made one. Good question, though.

Maybe they just wanted that Tudorp Mojo and reguard you highly of your work..nothing wrong with that..:)

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with taking plenty of time to ponder. Some of us could do with a bit more of it, and we might get into less trouble! I think that's neat that your ukes travel everywhere.

I think your ukes are beautiful.

Because you are honest and you do good work, and I second the mojo! :D Oh, and that they are beautiful! Wait til you get the Aphids up and running... ;)

One Upmanship, i reckon, Tudorp - there are THOUSANDS of Hawaiian ukes in Hawaii ...... but there are only 6 Tuporp ukes - so they are obviously VERY SPECIAL UKES! :)

I like that!!

cheers
Roberta

You folk are way too kind. I have a long way to go, and allot to learn before I could consider myself building a "good" uke. But, for now, I just enjoy doing it, and doing the best I can at my skill level.. But I do think it's cool that I have a few scattered around the globe.

I suspect your ukes are bought as a take anywhere instrument,......"possibly" worn as a pendant while traveling! :D

cheers,

Top Bottom