My "Salmon Uke" by Brad Donaldson

GinnyT11

Reaction score
NOW WITH SOUND SAMPLE!

Before Microsoft and Starbucks were behemoths in Seattle, Mr.T and I lived there for 10 years. We were young then (and better-looking!), and we loved the area. We traveled south to the Oregon coast, west to the Olympic Peninsula, and north to Vancouver, B.C. I wanted my Brad Donaldson soprano uke to commemorate our happy time in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I chose Northwest woods---Washington sitka spruce and Oregon myrtle---and on the headstock I wanted a jumping salmon painted like NW Coastal Indian art. Brad made something more beautiful than I had dreamed.
--I asked for myrtle with color, and he gave me stunning chocolate stripes.
--I asked for understated decoration, and he gave me walnut binding and rosette.
--I asked for bearclaw marking, and he gave me a bookmatched piece that looks like moving water.
--I gave him salmon artwork, and he painted an image that could go in the UBC cultural museum.
--I said let's pretend the fret markers are water drops from the salmon's tail, and he said sure.

I am getting more and more attached to it as it opens up.

SOUND SAMPLE with Worth medium brown strings:
http://www.box.com/s/0d400c446da7bda21081

wholefront.jpg

backside-1.jpg

heel.jpg

Last edited:
So purrdy. I hope someday to have a BD to call my own that is half as nice as that one. Congrats on a fine uke

Wowzer, thanks for sharing. Brad certainly is talented. I bought one of his sopranos (compliments of ukeeku, after his review).

Question for you GT133TT.

How is the way you communicated your desires for the uke to Brad? I'm on his list, having communicated with him my email, for a tenor with an anticipated Sept completion. BigSkyUkuleleGirl is on his build list, too.

I may have some things to add--some unique thoughts about my desires for the custom uke (like you, just give him the basic ideas and he can run with them). How did you communicate with him before (did he contact you when you came up on his list?), during and after the build? Thanks.

Last edited:
Oh My!

Just so lovely... congratulations and I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Enjoy!

:cheers:

How is the way you communicated your desires for the uke to Brad? I'm on his list, having communicated with him my email, for a tenor with an anticipated Sept completion. I may have some things to add--some unique questions about my desires (like you, just give him the basic ideas and he can run with them). Thoughts?

Coolkayaker,

Interestingly, I never spoke with Brad---we communicated only by email. He's quite responsive and sent photos at intervals for me to comment on.

I had some clear ideas about what I wanted (wood, fingerboard shape, rosette style, headstock art), but I wanted to be a really easy customer, so I made my requests at the outset in a clearly outlined spec list (headstock and bridge shapes, strings, binding, action, etc), with photos of other ukes to show the look I wanted. When the body was done, we decided that rosewood would look better than ebony for the fingerboard, so I changed my choice as I saw it take shape.

I told Brad several times that I did not want him to hurry on it, and that I welcomed his suggestions. I let him choose the neck wood, for example, and I went with his suggestion for the finish. I decided that if I were going to have an artisan create a uke for me, I should trust his artisan's instincts. I found the salmon art, and I thought we'd have the most email over that, but he adapted the art and painted it beautifully. I revised the salmon's orientation on the headstock, and asked that the green be lightened and an extra line be added---and that was it for the part I worried most about.

The salmon seems to be jumping off the top, and neither Brad nor I wanted his logo to "block" the salmon's leap. Brad suggested putting it on the back. It works well.

PS--Showing my Salmon Uke was my 200th post on the Forum---cool!

Wow! That's not just an ukulele, its an heirloom! Something to treasure, that's for sure. And your comments illustrate why I get so fired up about Brad's work. His ego isn't so big that he is unwilling to step back and consider something out of the ordinary. You wanted an instrument that was special to you, and Brad devoted his knowledge and skill to help make your dream a reality. Very cool in my book. Congratulations GT and way to go Brad!

Last edited:
wow Ginny, you must be ecstatic. That is so gorgeous, so classy, congratulations to you and to Brad on the build. Here's to many years of beautiful music together mate. :)

Very nice. Can't wait for mine later this year.

Ginny it turned out fantastic! Congratulations

Congratulations Ginny,
Wow wee that is amazing and beautiful...love the bearclaw top, much more beautiful than my 2500 custom..almost more like moving water...and the sides and back dark stridations
look very beautiful...most important is the nice sound ....I am glad you are satisfied... love the bindings and all...and the salmon with the tight grain headstock...wow Happy Strummings..

Simply beautiful.

Congratulation Ginny! It's great you have an instrument with so much meaning and beauty.

I'm sure it sounds as great as it looks.

Question - what's the finish on this uke? You mentioned that he suggested a finish? What was that? (Trying to decide what to get on my Donaldson). Thanks!

Top Bottom