The New Martin Style 2 Uke.

Neal

Reaction score
Has anyone played the soprano version? Not the Mexican ukes, but the Nazareth ukes. I have posted this same query many places, and only one person, Curt Sheller, has one, and likes it. Which is good enough for me, but I'm curious as to the consensus generally.

Posted also in "Reviews". Thank you.

I played the Nazareth made Martins last year @ summer NAMM and liked them.
I know this isn't a Martin but Ohana's 38 series is an excellent tribute to the vintage style 2. It's available in soprano, concert and tenor as well.

Thanks. Though good I'm sure, I only have American made ukes on my radar at this time, and only one maker in particular ;).

Thanks. Though good I'm sure, I only have American made ukes on my radar at this time, and only one maker in particular ;).

I know! I love the Fluke and Flea Ukuleles too!

:)

The K's are not Martin, but thanks!

Kamartin. :confused:

I wish I could help, Neal. Are you looking for a soprano? I haven't played the style 2, but I have played the style 3 cherry. I'm sure it would have been better had I not played it immediately after playing a 20's vintage style 2. Not a fair comparison, I suppose. What I might recommend is that you call Elderly. They have them in stock along with a bunch of other Martins, new and old. Ask them to play them for you. I've done that a number of times, and found them to be very honest in appraising the ukuleles in terms of tone and playability. One time I spoke with Brian Hefferan about the Martins they has at the time. He was especially helpful.

ps: glad your Youtube is back!

Kamartin. :confused:

I wish I could help, Neal. Are you looking for a soprano? I haven't played the style 2, but I have played the style 3 cherry. I'm sure it would have been better had I not played it immediately after playing a 20's vintage style 2. Not a fair comparison, I suppose. What I might recommend is that you call Elderly. They have them in stock along with a bunch of other Martins, new and old. Ask them to play them for you. I've done that a number of times, and found them to be very honest in appraising the ukuleles in terms of tone and playability. One time I spoke with Brian Hefferan about the Martins they has at the time. He was especially helpful.

ps: glad your Youtube is back!

Hi, and thanks for that. Oh yes, soprano. Brian was my last resort, I'll get around to bothering him, I'm sure, but I thought a few would have played this thing, as it's been out for a number of months. Alas, not many apparently have. I do like the play of the older Martins, as well as the newer Martin 3 and 5, so I think this one will be a winner as well. I'm hankering for the mahogany because I love the sound of a good mahogany uke, but having all my ukes in mahogany.... maybe koa...?

PS.. the "youtube".... shhhhh- it's still a secret!

I played a Nazareth made one a couple weeks ago and was extremely disappointed. They must've lost the original specs or something because it felt all wrong...the fretboard was super thick, the neck was alright but thin feeling, the top wood was quite thick (even compared to my Pono, which is a pretty heavy build). Maybe if it had been a tenor, the size would have projected more...but all I got out of it was that it was an overbuilt, overpriced, mediocre soprano.

The same shop had a 5K that was gorgeous but also absolutely nothing like the vintage 5K I've played. Honestly, for the price they're asking you'll be better off waiting and finding a 20's-40's Style 1 or 2.

Big shout out to Ohana as well...the SK38 is about as close to a vintage Martin as I've seen recently. If I wasn't saving up for a new guitar I might buy one! It'll have to be after I get a parlor guitar or a Taylor GS Mini, though. And if I don't get either of those, I'll save all that cash and go vintage Martin.

Check out Sprucehouse if you want a good American made Martin homage, though! I hear they're good, though I've never played one in person. I can't say anything positive about the modern Martin experience, though...

Thanks! Having played the new style 3s and 5s, and finding them very nice, it's curious that they would do something different to the new 2 model to make them dull and uninteresting. Old Martins are nice, but the only "vintage" Martin ukes I'd be interested in would be a '50s Stlyle 3, due to the lack of stripe and parend, and those are a bit pricey, so I'll investigate further the new 2's.

Talked to Brian Hefferan at Elderly today. While I appreciate a lot of the input from you good folks, a Style 2k is on the way. I'll let you know. There will be a vid or 2. No one has really reviewed these, or offered sound and vid.

Are you referring to the 2M currently? The all mahogany version made in the USA? I personally actually really liked it! The standard had great playable action and the concert even better sustain. The tone was absolutely perfect on the two that we received.

I was referring to the mahogany, but went with the koa. Good to hear a good review!

Received it today, going back tomorrow, sadly. Not up to snuff, poor intonation. Playability was fine, even changed the G, as that was the main culprit, not real noticeable up until the 7th, but still a bit before. Except for that issue, it would be a fine uke.

Top Bottom