Where have all the Big Island ukes gone?!

fretie

Reaction score
It took me ages to hunt down my spalted mango Big Island tenor but now that I have it I am thrilled with the instrument and glad I hung in there to find one. :D

Now I have decided that my other ukulele will be a Big Island koa Honu. I'll tune this one in high G so that I have a tenor in both high and low G (the mango is sounding splendid in low G).

But again, hard to find, very hard to find. I've sent out some emails to my favourite uke dealers and either they don't reply (like in the case of uke republic: meaning they don't have any in stock?) or yup, they don't have any in stock, as in the case for Mim who has some cutaways but no traditional Honu. :eek:

So, what I'm wondering is what's up with Big Island? Can't keep up with the demand or perhaps, alternately, slowing down their production? I dunno, just pondering.....:confused:

Big Island is gearing up and getting ready to make their Made In Hawaii Imua line of ukuleles....somewhat diverting focus for a short while.

Ah, now that makes sense....

What will the Imua line be like or is it going to be a surprise?

Thanks Poppy, I'm onto that Honu tenor that Bounty Music in Maui has.

Seastrings has quite a few Big Island but no tenor traditional Honu, only the rope series honu.

I have one for sale. Big Island Honu Tenor, traditional, excellent condition, not a scratch on it. Includes case. $400 plus shipping. I live in Oregon, just bought a new uke so this one must go. My email is losttikiman@comcast.net if your interested.

Hey guys, thanks for those suggestions.

I'm all set now though having ordered a Honu from Bounty Music on Maui. All done 'cept the waiting....it should arrive in the mail here next week.

Top Bottom