Anyone know about Mele ukulele?

mentalfloss

Reaction score
I am looking at a Mele tenor and I wondered if anyone has any time with one?
How do they play and sound?
Thanks in advance!

I don't have one or ever played one but was very interested in getting one a while back. I ended up getting something else for $$$ reasons.

There is some good info in this thread. There is some other info scattered throughout the forum about mele.

I like Mele's and have had a number of them. Cheryl Rock totally rocks if you're buying one directly from them - they'll set up the uke however you want, and take good care of you!

Anyway, I'm selling off my longer scale instruments, so if anyone's interested in a Mele 8 string tenor with cutaway, I have one for sale or trade - $435 with canvas-covered hardshell case, and that includes free shipping within the continental USA.

It's a Solid Mahogany and Sitka Spruce Mele 8 string Tenor Ukulele with Cutaway in excellent condition. Ebony fretboard, bridge, and peghead overlay. Ebony binding on top and back with rope purfling on the sides. Approximately 17" scale, with 14 frets to the body and 19 frets total. Pearl position markers at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, and 14th frets. High quality geared tuners. Bone nut and saddle. Satin finish.

Very cool and versatile intrument which sounds beautiful tuned to GCEA or EAC#F#. The paired strings give it a very full and lush sound. The G and C paired strings are tuned in ocatves, and the A and E strings are tuned in unison.

You can also play this as a 4-string instrument - the 4 unstrung tuners do not cause any buzzing or problems. But the instrument shines as a rich-toned 8-stringer. If you do use it as a 4-string instrument, you should use regular tenor strings, not just 1/2 the 8-string strings - you'll want the heavier gauge of regular tenor strings to give you a full tone.

Nice sustain and resonance and excellent volume.

Currently strung with 8 strings to GCEA, using Aquila 8-string Tenor strings.

Note that the photos show the back as being rather light-colored - the real color of the mahogany is the same as in the photo of the uke's side!

Anyway, let me know if you're interested!

Attachments

• DSC07358.JPG
    DSC07358.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC07365.JPG
    DSC07365.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC07363.JPG
    DSC07363.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC07364.JPG
    DSC07364.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC07368.JPG
    DSC07368.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I am looking at a Mele tenor and I wondered if anyone has any time with one?
How do they play and sound?
Thanks in advance!
Here's a thread from awhile back . . . and you have checked out their website, right?

Last edited:
look up the video of mele ukulele double neck tenor. man its awesome. I just thought i should say that. lol. and from what ive seen mele ukuleles are indeed nice buys.

My first uke was a Mele direct from the guys on Maui. I have had several others since but love that one the most. Saving up for a tenor next time I am in HI. A definate good buy.

I had the opportunity to play a Mele mahogany tenor a few years ago. I was quite impressed by the sound. I haven't played one since then, so I can't say how the current production models are. I'm sure there's a few members here who have one who can share with you their input.

Top Bottom