Strumming: Picks?

JKoval

Reaction score
Hey guys. Are picks like... taboo to ukuleles? Because I think this will be a much more smoother transition if picks are smiled upon. Thanks in advance for clearing this up!

-Jeff

No, picks are not taboo. I just don't think that a lot of players use them.

Few things are taboo for the uke. Most folks who use picks prefer the felt kind used for bass and occasionally nylon-string guitar. If using a pick makes it more enjoyable, then go for it. :D

There are three types of picks usually used by ukers.

Felt Picks:
35639816-177x150-0-0_-1.jpg

These are the 'classic' used picks for a uke. They have a unique sound across the nylon strings and were used a lot more back when the uke was more popular in the early to mid 1900's.

Nylon Picks:
gr0769y.jpg

These are usually used with guitars, but you can use them on a uke too. Julia Nunes uses these and in no way are they 'forbidden'.

Thumb Picks:
thumbpick.jpg

These are picks that allow you to still have your other fingers to strum with only having to sacrifice the thumb. Herb Ohta Jr. is a big fan of these I know and they are great for finger picking when you want the extra volume and intonation that you simply cannot get from your finger alone. I have been using one of these in the jazz group I am in so I can get that extra 'umph' for solos and melodic lines.

So to answer your question.... NO! Picks are not forbidden for the uke, however if you don't use one you free up a lot of possibilities with strums using your right hand.

Forbidden? No. A good idea? Well...... I'm personally opposed to picks in all situations, guitar included. If you strum with your fingernail, you're always ready to transition into fingerstyle. Come over to the dark side.....

Picks are taboo to ME

:music: <--Just like this guy, I use my fingers

I've never personally seen someone play an Uke or pick an Uke with...well a pick...but the thumb pick looks pretty sick

Forbidden? No. A good idea? Well...... I'm personally opposed to picks in all situations, guitar included. If you strum with your fingernail, you're always ready to transition into fingerstyle. Come over to the dark side.....

I agree I like using my nails...but WITHOUT SOUNDING LIKE A TOTAL GIRLY GIRL i hate it when I break a nail. Like right now for example I broke my pointer nail the SAME one I use to strum on everything urghh:mad: but at least I know it will grow in like a day haha!

Not needing a pick is one the cool things about the uke.

You pick it up. You play it. No muss, no fuss!

(And no accidentally dropping your pick into the soundhole. :eek: )

JJ

Seeing as how I can't grow out my fingernails because of work, I use picks all the time. Mainly thumb and nylon. Never used a felt pick. Most of the time I play with my fingers, but I definitely prefer the thumb pick over fingers w/o nails. Except after an hour or so, the thumb pick sort of hurts. A great nylon pick would be the Fender thin picks. Or the California Clear thin or medium.

When I first started plaing uke I got a mix bad a picks and I tried most of them out. I liked these ones with nylon in the middle but the outside was covered in some sort a felt. I grew to like these rubber ones, I think they are called wedgies. They had 3 different colors, each a different stiffness. I liked them a lot too. I eventually grew out my nails and dont really use picks any more, but thats not to say other people shouldn't.

Like most everyone before me said it is a preference thing, dowhatchalike!

Haven't tried the wedgies on the uke, but I hated them for guitar. Absolutely hated them. So far, I favor the Fender Thin picks for the uke. Weak enough(in flex and thickness) to have a full "strum" sound instead of a raking type sound, but also weak enough to do a "taco fold" to make it stiffer.

That's the lead singer from the Digital Underground. They had a song titled "DoWhatchaLike"

I cannot stand flimsy picks for the guitar, perhaps I'll put use to the messes of them I have around my house. :p

-Jeff

Top Bottom