Repair advise

Ambrosius

Reaction score
I goes straight to the top, not Tech Support, but to the big boys forum. Because I need the best advise.

How can I best build up to compensate for a missing piece from a rosewood fret-board? The fret-board has a run-out of fibers towards the edge on the third fret, so the fret-slot has cut off the fibers. Just suddenly during playing the piece went missing, and the tragedy is that I cant find it to glue it back on.

I tried to take a photo of it, but does not have a camera good enough to show it properly. It's some 2 mm on to the fret at top of the board and 3 mm down on the side of the board, running out to null at the middle of third fret.

My take on this is to get hold of a piece of rosewood and grind it to dust. Mix that with a bit glue of a kind or epoxy, to build up again. Leaving it as is, is not an option, as the fret-wire becomes sharp and it's unpleasant to play.

Any hint, good fellows? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Thanks Timbuck, and my best regards to mrs. Timbuck as well.

Something like that I had in mind. Superglue is the thing? I thought that would harden pretty quickly, but maybe if I just fill the missing part with dry rosewood dust, and drips glue on it, like I understood from the article.

An other thing is the piece is just three months old, by the way it's my six stringer, - inspecting the fret-board pretty closely the rosewood appears pretty porous in that section of the board. Maybe I shall just claim a replacement.

Rosewood dust mixed with glue will not look that good and certainly will not match the missing wood grain. The best way IMO to repair this is to remove the frets on either side of the missing wood and then to match the rosewood grain with another piece of wood. Cut away a strip of wood from fret to fret and glue in a new piece of wood that matches the look and color. Sand the area flat and replace the frets. This is not a job for a noobie if you want it to look right.

Top Bottom