Indian rosewood vs macasser ebony tonewoods??

UK Paulie

Reaction score
I know this subject is largely a matter of taste and personal preference but its opinions I'm asking for here if thats ok. As a tonewood do people think Indian rosewood or macasser ebony would be superior? If anyone has experience building with or playing Ukulele's using these woods what are people's views on them? How would you describe the sound? Thanks in advance. Mahalo!

There is nothing like YOUR experience in any of this. Why not build two nearly identical ukes with different woods and tell us your subjective experiences? Get a few ukes under your belt; don't expect the experienced luthiers here to a) all agree. b) to provide a magic formula

Or, better still, do a search of this board and see the sometimes heated and always bias debate on this! We all have our views and it is somewhat pointless visiting this one yet again.

There is nothing like YOUR experience in any of this. Why not build two nearly identical ukes with different woods and tell us your subjective experiences? Get a few ukes under your belt; don't expect the experienced luthiers here to a) all agree. b) to provide a magic formula

I didn't expect anything. I simply asked for opinions. I'm not a luthier so its unlikely that I'll be building anything anytime soon although I would dearly love to one day.

Or, better still, do a search of this board and see the sometimes heated and always bias debate on this! We all have our views and it is somewhat pointless visiting this one yet again.

I just asked for opinions. If you'd rather not give yours thats fine. Others may want to though and unless I'm missing something (entirely possible...) there isn't any harm in that...

With respect, we have all already done so more than once. Search the board and get some answers...

With respect, we have all already done so more than once. Search the board and get some answers...

With equal respect, if you dont want to give your own opinion thats fine. As I said, others may be happy to. Thanks anyway.

Hahaha. But we'll keep asking, Pete. Until we get the answer we already decided upon!

LOL! I'm not asking one person in particular, I'm asking ALL the members...I have looked through the posts i could find and contrary to what some say, there are no threads that answer this particular question. I have no idea why people get so ratty about things like this or, and probably more pertinent, why somebody answers at all if only to say they dont want to give their opinion?? Seems a little bit futile to me....

Hahaha. But we'll keep asking, Pete. Until we get the answer we already decided upon!

Or until we see an answer from someone other than the person that has already documented their opinion.

I have worked in IT for 15+ years and during that time I have had to visit numerous internet forums/boards to find information and ask questions on subjects in my related field as well as others. It never fails to surprise me when a knowledgeable contributor takes the time to answer a question with "do a search" or "I have answered this already".

My opinion is if you are going to take the time to reply to a post why not add some information. If you feel that you have nothing new to offer, that you have already given the info, don't bother replying. Some of us ask questions, to which the answer might be obvious or already stated, on the off chance that another side/opinion might be presented.

Don't take it as a personal affront when someone asks a question directed at numerous users that has already been answered by yourself. Move along to the next thread.

Anyway, to respond to the original poster, I am in the process of completing my first acoustic stringed instrument, a concert ukulele. I used Bolivian rosewood for the back and sides and it is coming along nicely. the sound box has a nice full sound when beat like a drum. I hope that is a good indication of the finished product and will update when I am finished. My experience is with solid and semi-hollow electric 6 strings so this build is a learning experience. I have found a good bit of invaluable information on this site.

Sorry if my wee joke, directed at Pete, caused any grief. I know Pete could handle it but I agree a bit with you Sanmatisse.

Sorry if my wee joke, directed at Pete, caused any grief. I know Pete could handle it but I agree a bit with you Sanmatisse.

No worries, no grief inflicted. I have been lurking on this particular board for a couple of months and know that Pete, you and others posses awesome skills which you freely share with us noobs. I would not have been able to get to this point of my build without absorbing the info and knowledge of y'alls contributions:
IMG_0234%20small.jpg

See what I did there? I went scorched earth then threw out the compliment.

Or until we see an answer from someone other than the person that has already documented their opinion.

I have worked in IT for 15+ years and during that time I have had to visit numerous internet forums/boards to find information and ask questions on subjects in my related field as well as others. It never fails to surprise me when a knowledgeable contributor takes the time to answer a question with "do a search" or "I have answered this already".

My opinion is if you are going to take the time to reply to a post why not add some information. If you feel that you have nothing new to offer, that you have already given the info, don't bother replying. Some of us ask questions, to which the answer might be obvious or already stated, on the off chance that another side/opinion might be presented.

Don't take it as a personal affront when someone asks a question directed at numerous users that has already been answered by yourself. Move along to the next thread.

Anyway, to respond to the original poster, I am in the process of completing my first acoustic stringed instrument, a concert ukulele. I used Bolivian rosewood for the back and sides and it is coming along nicely. the sound box has a nice full sound when beat like a drum. I hope that is a good indication of the finished product and will update when I am finished. My experience is with solid and semi-hollow electric 6 strings so this build is a learning experience. I have found a good bit of invaluable information on this site.

Thank you! That was my point, if you are going to respond....oh well...I really appreciate your help on the tonewoods question too, thats what I was hoping for, a new or different perspective. I hadn't even heard of bolivian rosewood so I've learnt something new today! Look forward to an update when you finish your concert uke. I really hope its everything you are hoping it will be. Kind regards.

No worries, no grief inflicted. I have been lurking on this particular board for a couple of months and know that Pete, you and others posses awesome skills which you freely share with us noobs. I would not have been able to get to this point of my build without absorbing the info and knowledge of y'alls contributions:
IMG_0234%20small.jpg

See what I did there? I went scorched earth then threw out the compliment.

Hey i tell you what, that looks amazing. I'd love to see the finished instrument. What did you use on the top? Mahogany?

Hey i tell you what, that looks amazing. I'd love to see the finished instrument. What did you use on the top? Mahogany?

Yeah, mahogany. I have been building electric guitars for a few years. The primary species of wood I use for the electrics are for the body mahogany and swamp ash. For the tops various types of maple. For the fretboard I use maple and rosewood. I have a nice supply of cutoffs from the years and this Uke has been built using mostly scraps (the rosewood is stock).

Just this one build has got me really exited about jumping into acoustics.

Top Bottom