PDA

View Full Version : Humidifier story

hoosierhiver
03-13-2012, 05:19 AM
Heard an interesting story about an old woman who had a mint condition vintage Martin. Someone asked how she kept it in such great shape and if she used a humidifer. She said she put a small orange in the case very fall and after a year the orange was hard as a rock. Might have to try it.

joejeweler
03-13-2012, 05:28 AM
Hehe,.....not sure how much moisture over a whole winter one orange can give off, but neat story. I run my sears 3 gallon humidifier ALL the time, and fill it twice a day. This keeps the whole house comfortable for us also,.....no more dry noses and i don't have to fuss with individually humidifing dozens of ukes and guitars.

BTW,.......she tried prune juice on her hubby,.....but he's still an old f*rt! :D

hmgberg
03-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Navel or Valencia? Can anyone recommend a way to fit the orange in the case? Also, what do you do with the rock hard orange - I'm wondering if I can use it as a dehumidifier in the summer?

Lalz
03-13-2012, 05:45 AM
One word: mould

chrimess
03-13-2012, 05:49 AM
must be a blood orange to maintain the Martin vintage stain. pineapple/mango will work for mainly Hawaiian music.

Navel or Valencia? Can anyone recommend a way to fit the orange in the case? Also, what do you do with the rock hard orange - I'm wondering if I can use it as a dehumidifier in the summer?

Kayak Jim
03-13-2012, 06:29 AM
...and as it shrivels you can see that its giving up it's moisture. I think Oasis got the ideal from that old lady!

ksiegel
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Heard an interesting story about an old woman who had a mint condition vintage Martin. Someone asked how she kept it in such great shape and if she used a humidifer. She said she put a small orange in the case very fall and after a year the orange was hard as a rock. Might have to try it.

Actually, Mike, I'm the one who related this story.

I was at the Dance Flurry Festival in Saratoga Springs, NY the 3rd weekend of February, and playing with several Old-Time music players on my Firefly. (And it blended in quite nicely, even though I don't play clawhammer style). One of the players was a woman a bit older than I am, in that nebulous range of between 55 and None-of-your-business, and she had a very nice (but not mint - it was certainly well played!) Martin D-something. I noticed that she had an orange rolling around in her case, and I speculated that it was either lunch or a humidifier.

She allowed that yes, it was a humidifier - she'd been using oranges as case humidifiers for more than 45 years, and had never so much as had a crack in her instrument. She bought a new orange every November and put it in the case, and by the end of may, the fruit was shrunken and hard, and she tossed it. While we didn't get into a discussion about what kind of orange she was using (it looked like a Navel to me, but it was a quick glance), I said I'd be worried about it getting moldy, and she said that she'd never had a problem with mold.

The orange fit nicely behind the neck, between the neck heel and the accessory pocket in the case.

I really do wish I'd gotten her name, though - I'd like to find out where she got the idea to use an orange.

I'm thinking about kumquats for one of my uke cases, as an experiment...

(not really)

-Kurt

Kauai808
03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
must be a blood orange to maintain the Martin vintage stain. pineapple/mango will work for mainly Hawaiian music.

that made me laugh. good one!

coolkayaker1
03-14-2012, 04:33 PM
I want to make sure mine is humidified. I don't want to take any chances at all.

I'm going to use a cantaloupe.

Oranges, cantaloupe, kumquats... it'll be fun opening my case at UWC and watching the fruit flies come out.

Nickie
03-14-2012, 05:14 PM
What a bunch of fruits! You guys kill me...

ksiegel
03-15-2012, 03:05 AM
I guess sopraninos would use grapes... and then you'd have raisins at the end of the season...

-Kurt