Baritone sound hole size?

mr roper

Reaction score
I ordered the Harptone baritone kit without the sound hole cut so that I could try doing a simple inlaid rosette. Could someone tell me what the usual sound hole diameter is on a baritone?

Ed

I'd start a little smaller than the chart recommendations so you can "tweak" the air chamber resonance. I had a guitar that had a bad resonance in just the wrong spot. Reducing the soundhole size might have fixed it, but it was a finished guitar so that option wasn't available to me.

Thanks. Now that I know the hole size I can setup and make some trial cuts for the rosette on scrap.

Thanks, Allen. I'm not sure if I'll do 2 13/16 or 2 7/8 but a 1/16th won't make much difference, right?

I wouldn't loose sleep over it. There are a heap of other things to consider before you start tweaking the size of the sound hole for optimum performance.

Yeah, and this is a somewhat unproven design and my learner building skill is going to add a whole lot more variables than the size of the sound hole.:rolleyes: BTW I think the kit as designed comes with a 2 3/8 sound hole.

The sound hole on the Musicmaker's Dakota baritone kit is 2-3/8. My vintage Harmony bari has a 2-5/8 sound hole.

Top Bottom