Pore Fill an iPad?

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Mods you can move this if it's inappropriate, but my thinking is this is where the people familiar with the material hang out.

I dropped my iPad and it shattered the corner much like a shattered car windshield (non viewable area). I was wondering if I could possibly force epoxy into the cracks to hold the shards in place. So far they're laying pretty flat. Would I need to thin it out? What should I use to thin it out?

Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

-Gary

Last edited:
Thanks. I have the new one ordered already, but I want to give this one to my parents to use. It's not bad, just the corner. I blame the stupid magnetic cover! I thought I was holding the iPad itself but when the iPad hit the ground and I was left holding the cover only . . . let's just say there were a few dirty words uttered that I had to tell my four year old never to repeat. Parent of the Year!!

Rather than epoxy, I'd try water thin super glue and some sort of squeegee to force it below the surface. Shave off the excess with a razor blade. This is pretty much what a windshield repair kit will do, but they use UV curable glue and sunlight to "set" the adhesive.

Funny. Same thing happened to me when I was showing my wife that I could "hang" the iPad on the fridge by the smart cover. Thankfully, no damage when it dropped. And the cover looks great against the stainless steel.

Rather than epoxy, I'd try water thin super glue and some sort of squeegee to force it below the surface. Shave off the excess with a razor blade. This is pretty much what a windshield repair kit will do, but they use UV curable glue and sunlight to "set" the adhesive.

What he said. I've fixed many a windshield bullseye crack that way (265,000 miles on one original windshield). Could hardly see them when it was done. There are size limits for the bullseye, read the package.

PS

I was glad this thread wasn't about this :http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?61589-The-Futulele

Last edited:
Triminion got it right. I would NOT glue it, or you'll never get it off if ou want it done correct.

Search YouTube first, then get the parts. I did the same on my iPad2, 1 month after I got it!

Got the glass, tape and Metal bezel from gadgetfix on eBay. . .no affiliation, but that's where I got them.
The tape was a little shy, so I'd get two sets or buy my own. . . it's REALLY thin double sided 3m tape.
Glad I got the bezel- mine got ruined during removal.
Heat gun was priceless (thanks MGM).
Ran my scraper (putty knife) on the grinder to bring it down thinner.

Cost about $60 plus my labor 1 hour. The hardest part was finding the gorilla glass. I'm not entirely sure I got it, BUT, it doesn't seem flimsy like some others I've seen described, and the packaging looks right. Of course, anything from China does these days.

Bottom line. . . I'd do it again if I had to. I'm on the iPad right now. . .

Ken, truth be told, I cringed when my wife got me an iPod Touch. I thought,"What for?" I had to upgrade to the 32mb version for more memory. It's invaluable to run music through the PA to practice. Suffice to say, I said the same when she got me the iPad2. Glad I have a wireless router in the house. . . I'm never on my computer anymore.

Now, with my latest project building PA and Bass cabs, I can use the touch to run pink noise through the speakers and analyze it with my RTA app on the iPad so I can flatten the speakers with an eq, and notch feedback easily from the monitors on stage.

I'm now scoping out the new Mackie DL1608, not for the amount of channels, bit for the size and power. All I'll need is that direct to an amp (no eq needed). Just gotta sell another Uke to fund it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACo3VgXijlU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Aaron

Last edited:
Top Bottom