Rick Turner, Compass Rose, solid mahogany, mint

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmyers

Reaction score
Hi , I purchased this uke a couple of months ago in anticipationn of my new custom Compass Rose, ukulele (which was delayed). I have now received my new Compass Rose and it is everthing I wanted and expected. So my base Compass rose, all mahogany uke, is now available for sale.

I purchased it a couple of months ago from the original UU owner.
It is a winner in every respect. I had the action professionally adjusted and the playability was increased dramatically. I also changed the strings to Fremont Blacks and the transformation was complete. It plays as well as my much more expensive custom Compass Rose.
So it is for sale . I paid $850 delivered on UU for this instrument and put about $100 bucks into it and made it a fine instrument.
I am willing to sell same for $850 delivered in case (not pictured, soft case in new condition).
I will also consider a trade for a Collings UT-1 or UT-2 Tenor in mahogany.
Please PM me if you are interested. Pics are included, more are available on request, a sound sample is available if you can stand my voice.
Bob Myers

Attachments

• CaseUUMahogany.jpg
    CaseUUMahogany.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 333
  • BackFLMahogany.jpg
    BackFLMahogany.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 230
  • MahoganySides.jpg
    MahoganySides.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0139.jpg
    DSC_0139.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 193
  • CaseUU2Mahogany.jpg
    CaseUU2Mahogany.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
For your info I will trade this uke for a Collings UT-1 or UT-2 in solid mahogany, with appropriate price adjustment.
Bob

Hi , I purchased this uke a couple of months ago in anticipationn of my new custom Compass Rose, ukulele (which was delayed). I have now received my new Compass Rose and it is everthing I wanted and expected. So my base Compass rose, all mahogany uke, is now available for sale.

I purchased it a couple of months ago from the original UU owner.
It is a winner in every respect. I had the action professionally adjusted and the playability was increased dramatically. I also changed the strings to Fremont Blacks and the transformation was complete. It plays as well as my much more expensive custom Compass Rose.
So it is for sale . I paid $850 delivered on UU for this instrument and put about $100 bucks into it and made it a fine instrument.
I am willing to sell same for $850 delivered in case (not pictured, soft case in new condition).
I will also consider a trade for a Collings UT-1 or UT-2 Tenor in mahogany.
Please PM me if you are interested. Pics are included, more are available on request, a sound sample is available if you can stand my voice.
Bob Myers

Please explain..... :D

Last edited:
Never assume, I' have heard that a thousand times yet I posted this item without the word Tenor.
As to the request to explain the professional action lowering. I had the nut adjusted so that the action at the top fret was lowered to about 1/16 inch. We did not lower the saddle which was already at 1/8 inch at the 12th fret.
Playing the most common chords at the top of the neck are now effortless and without buzz.
Bob

Thanks for the additional information. It might also help if you could disclose how long the original owner had it; i.e., when was the ukulele built? (I don't know if Compass Rose ukuleles have serial numbers, but if this one does, that's the number is also useful information.) Someone's decision to buy this might hinge in part on whether it's a relatively recent build or is several years old. Thanks!

The serial number and build date are on the top of the peghead.

And the case in two of the photos is not included with it is that correct? An unphotographed gig bag is what it'll be sent in?

The serial # is 11 272. Meaning unit was #272 built in 2011, the gig bag is brand new and made by Access, model stage one.
Bob

I do not know why a serial number or when it was built has to do with the quality of Compass Rose ukes. These are are well made and beautiful ukes no matter what the serial number it has.I do not believe Rick Turner makes partial quality ukes.

Last edited:
I do not know why a serial number or when it was built has to do with the quality of Compass Rose ukes. These are are well made and beautiful ukes no matter what the serial number it has.I do not believe Rick Turner makes partial quality ukes.
it is perfectly reasonable to ask the age of an instrument for sale.

it is perfectly reasonable to ask the age of an instrument for sale.

I always like knowing what the age of the instrument is too...Doesn't change my decision especially if it's a Turner Compass Rose, but it's nice to know...

Give me a break guys, I have revealed everything. My original listing was not intended to hide anything. My listing may have been incomplete in some ways but not for any reason other than my own expectation of info a perspective buyer needs. When asked, answered, in all cases. In addition you could have recognized that this uke was purchased by a highly regarded member of this site just two months before I listed it. In addition I am only selling it as I have finally received a new Compass Rose Tenor in Sycamore and Cedar that was ordered months ago. Frankly, I'll sell that one and keep the mahogany as they are both great ukes, but I doubt anyone would pay the price of the new one. I posted the new one on this site for all your info, with pictures, and by the way the action was high at the nut end on the new one as well, in my opinion. I compare each uke with others I own including a William King tenor and a Mia Moe tenor. The best action from the maker, I have found, so far, over the last 8 or so was the Mia Moe tenor, my Santa Cruz Concert didn't need adjustment either. But this is a personal preference. I like to have my instruments set up just perfectly and each the same so the playability is equal with the same strings.
Others may differ, including makers, which is all good.
So bless all your comments. It might be revealing to check out all my recent postings and purchases, also.
Bob

again, all the best with the sale Bob. We were merely responding to an antagonistic and totally unreasonable post above. It's a beautiful instrument. It does make a buyer wonder though why an instrument so meticulously crafted as yours would need further tweaking, that's all. You've explained everything in great detail now, as being about your personal preferences in playability. It's beautiful, a good price and have no doubt will be sold. Cheers.

again, all the best with the sale Bob. We were merely responding to an antagonistic and totally unreasonable post above. It's a beautiful instrument. It does make a buyer wonder though why an instrument so meticulously crafted as yours would need further tweaking, that's all. You've explained everything in great detail now, as being about your personal preferences in playability. It's beautiful, a good price and have no doubt will be sold. Cheers.

The simple answer is that if Rick were to have sent it out with the action adjusted as low as bobmyers wanted, another player might have wanted it higher and adjusting the nut for lower action is the sensible thing to do versus replacing the entire nut and starting over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom