Best book or video source for beginning strumming technique?

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Not necessarily interested in learning 8 gazillion different strum variations right now, as I am just learning to play uke. Rather, I would like to learn a few simple patterns and techniques for strumming per se, as in what finger(s) to use, etc.

why are you bothered about strumming techniques, play a song of your choice and once you pick up the rhythm of the piece the strum will come naturally, concentrate on other aspects of playing like chord progressions and changing chords smoothly, believe me strum patterns will fall into place like magic the longer you practice

There's this dude Ukulele Mike who has a lot of videos on YouTube and explains basic strum patterns really well. Just google him. He is also like your really nice uncle that you're excited to see on Thanksgiving and always gave you a stick of Juicy Fruit when you were a kid.

There's this dude Ukulele Mike who has a lot of videos on YouTube and explains basic strum patterns really well. Just google him. He is also like your really nice uncle that you're excited to see on Thanksgiving and always gave you a stick of Juicy Fruit when you were a kid.

But, not the kind of uncle that would peer under your skirt when you're bending to get your uke out of its case.

But, not the kind of uncle that would peer under your skirt when you're bending to get your uke out of its case.

I used to hate it when my uncle did that.

Almost as much as I hated having wear that damn skirt...

JJ

Ralph Shaw's Essential Strums for Ukulele is a very good DVD introduction to basic through intermediate strums.

Ukulele Mike is great! I actually watched his videos -- A LOT -- before I even got my 'uke, and practiced strumming (air 'ukulele!), and by the time I had the 'uke I had the calypso strum pattern down pretty well. Once I had that pattern I had a little confidence, and now I don't worry about strum patterns much. I suppose when I get better I can polish things up but right now I'm able to just go with it and often it's not a conscious thing, just what feels right at the time. And as for the calypso strum, I use that for all sorts of things that aren't calypso.

So try his videos -- some of the tutorials are actually for strumming patterns, some are for songs. But they're always fun.

I agree that the UU tutorials are really helpful as well.

I think ukulelemike is one of the very best uke teachers on the net, and I've watched a few! Highly recommended - he explains well, goes at a nice speed - And he is a qualified teacher - he knows his game! :D

Before my uke arrived, I practiced strumming on my cat. He enjoyed the extra skritching so we still do that.

Last year I signed up for Brett's lessons on ukuleletricks.com and have been finding that his tutorials are very well organized and his lessons provide excellent instruction. Brett seems to be a natural teacher and a membership to his site is good value.

Top Bottom