Maui Music - pre vs post fire? Please explain

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Saw a listing for a 1994 Maui Music concert uke that included the description "pre-fire" in the listing. What were the particulars on the fire, and, are the "pre-fire" or "post-fire" ukes the more desiarble, and why?

Aloha Eyeguy,
Recently purchased one and would like to know about them as well.
Read somewhere that the fire ocurred in 1998.
Hope to get more info..........................BO.............................

Pre fire ukes were made before there was a fire caused by lacquer fumes being ignited while using a sawzall cutting a door Jamb You can identify most of the prefire ones with the large headstock...Peter injured his hands in the fire and after downsized as he had workers and went back to a one man operation and started making more ornate deluxe models with oval soundsholes...you can tell the exact production by looking at the serial number mm/yy/number in production sequence. He does have a small run of more basic models again...by the way i prefer the postfire ones since they are all made by peter himself although he did check and tune and the prefire ones to0.

mgm thanks for your info..you are the best..i am trying to get a special order maui music tenor peter says it will take a year but i told him i will wait...i got a 1998 maui music tenor from ebay and the sound is great!!! i live in san francisco bay area but grew up in wahiawa...ha ha..

Top Bottom