Good Ukulele CD's ?

ukezouk

Reaction score
G'day there friends,
I'm sure there's a zillion Ukulele CD's out there..so I'd like to ask if anyone could recommend some good 'Compilation' type Albums featuring different players that could broaden my Uke horizons !
I think this would serve as an introduction to different players and if I like their playing, then I could get their CD..
Any opinions ?

Check out "island Style ukulele", it's a great compilation with recordings by many established veterans and some spectacular younger players (lots of MGMs pals who do the HMS demo videos). Absolutely worthwhile!

not sure of too many compilations, but here's 3 that I have...

1. "with my little ukulele in my hand" (4CD set). mainly old stuff from 1st half of last century. BRILLIANT. trad Hawaiian, country/folk, George Formby etc, wonderful historical record too with beautiful accompanying booklet
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/My-Littl...965303934?pt=AU_Audio_CDs&hash=item33728ef67e

2. "Square Pegs and Round Holes" (American Aspergers Assoc. benefit CD). more modern/contemporary stuff including Victoris Vox, The Barnkickers, Jim beloff, Ian Whitcomb, James Hill, Gerald Ross, John King. Sweet compo
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/squarepegs

3. "Bosko & Honey's Ukulele Safari"...oops, just looked it up and it's sold out...but that is a great one if you can find it on ebay...more way out and bizarro left of centre stuff from all round the world..but awesome

I can recommend stacks of brilliant solo CD's by individuals...I have a pretty decent collection these days of old and new. PM me if you'd like me to send you some. My fave artists are Cliff Edwards, Lil Rev, James Hill, Azo Bell and the Old Spice Boys, Ian Whitcomb, Lyle Ritz, Rose Turtle Ertler, John King, Janet Klein, George Formby, Roy Smeck, Uni & her Ukulele, Victoria Vox etc pretty much anyone who plays the ukulele. :) There is also an awesome record by a member here, 'Dr Bekken' worth checking out...

edit: if you tell us what style of music you're into we could narrow down some particular artists for you that fit in that ball park

Thanks folks...there's plenty of choices for me there..
As I'm new to Soprano Ukulele,I dont really know what I want as regards a 'style' (brilliant,I hear you say !!) ..
I've been thinking a bit about this and have come up with three styles that I'd be interested in
1.Traditional Hawaiian ..
2.Modern players .........like Jake....and ...
3.Vintage players.... GeorgeFormby ..etc..
The boxed set .."With a Ukulele in my hand" seems to be a good starter (thanks Eugene) ..
Thanks also to Laundromatt (I like it !)...Bazmaz and Kapahulu...I'll check out those links ..
great website this one :)

Also, I'd add Kimo Hussey to Jon's list. I can listen to him all day.

''With My Little Ukulele in My Hand" .....just bought it from Mr Ebay.... Aussie$25.00 for 4 Cd's...sounds like good value to me ....

The Best of Ka'au Crater Boys. Good modern Hawaiian music.

The Audiophile CD of Cliff Edwards recordings from the 1940s (SINGIN' IN THE RAIN). Just him with the ukulele and an occasional bass player...to my mind, the finest solo ukulele album of all time.

Suggestions (I also love Hawaiian music, a passion since childhood.)

1. IZ-- you have to have this one, he was the patron saint of Hawaiian music and of uke players.
2. Hawaiian Style Uke (with my fave tune, E Ku'u Morning Dew, which is easy enough to play for beginners, yay!)
3. World's Greatest Hawaiin Uke Songs
4. Solo Uke Songs Great for us players without a band or people to jam with
5. Eddie Vedder Great for strumming with singing, if that is your desire.

This is a good spectrum of Hawaiian uke covering various ways it can be enjoyed; band, solo, strum and sing, etc.

The Audiophile CD of Cliff Edwards recordings from the 1940s (SINGIN' IN THE RAIN). Just him with the ukulele and an occasional bass player...to my mind, the finest solo ukulele album of all time.

agreed doc. this is the one with most of his best recordings on it.

Other personal favorites are albums by The Old Spice Boys and Lil Rev.

Bill Tapia is another who I glaringly omitted from my first post. His stuff is wonderful too...

Another vote for "With My Little Ukulele In My Hand". Lots and lots of varied stuff on there...

A personal favorite of mine is Square Pegs and Round Holes. I play it in the car a lot. The traffic here is horrendous, and it really helps.

I could only find two CDs for Bill Tapia, anyone know where other recordings are available besides the two fromitunes or amazon?

Suggestions (I also love Hawaiian music, a passion since childhood.)

1. IZ-- you have to have this one, he was the patron saint of Hawaiian music and of uke players.
2. Hawaiian Style Uke (with my fave tune, E Ku'u Morning Dew, which is easy enough to play for beginners, yay!)
3. World's Greatest Hawaiin Uke Songs
4. Solo Uke Songs Great for us players without a band or people to jam with
5. Eddie Vedder Great for strumming with singing, if that is your desire.

This is a good spectrum of Hawaiian uke covering various ways it can be enjoyed; band, solo, strum and sing, etc.

Gwynedd,
Thanks for these links. I have Eddie Vedder's CD around here someplace, I like it, but never heard of the rest. Thanks, I think I'll go shopping!

If you like traditional American music - folk/bluegrass/old timey - I'd recommend Aaron Keim's records. Good stuff - get em here, listen to samples here

You also can't beat our own Eugene Ukelele's records for a quality listening experience. Not sure if he's currently selling them, but you should send him a PM - I've got several and they're all great albums.....

This is not neccesarily a compilation, but, in my opinion, it is one of the greatest uke-centric albums ever made by one of the greatest song writers around and for some reason is a group you've never heard of.
It's a Florida based band called The Crazed Mugs. They call themselves a "tiki" band. Which means they play hapa-haole, hawaiian, surf, exotica, jazz, etc. Last time I checked, their latest album, "Find Forbidden Island" was at number 14 on the hawaiian music charts but I'm sure it's higher by now.
Here is their website: The Crazed Mugs
Please check out the website and give them a listen!

Top Bottom