Glueing back, in a sort of Spanish way

Sven

Reaction score
Hi friends. Today my thread isn't about how I do things, since my way of doing this isn't entirely satisfactory. Since I started building my ukes on the new building board with exchangeable soleras, I've put on three backs. They've turned out good but the process was cumbersome.

Earlier, I did it like this:

bild-713767.jpg

That worked fine every time, the string had a good angle and the joint was always tight.

But with the new work board with its many advantages, the angle of the strings isn't as steep. Like this:

bild-733894.JPG

I've seen solutions with spool clamps in slots in the solera / work board but I'd have a hard time making more slots in it.

How do you guys do it? I got the impression that Chuck and maybe Allen build on similar jigs so maybe there is a good and obvious way. Next time I might try using the detachable go bar deck, but I kind of like string.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Sven

Attachments

• bild-713767.jpg
    bild-713767.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 15
  • bild-733894.JPG
    bild-733894.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Don't use a solera! You know I'm not a fan but you could easily modify my system:

When I looked at the solera as a way of completing my kits I used surgical rubber - much better than string in providing a soft clamping surface.

Pete, your forms and moulds are a dream. It's just that I'm stubborn and kind of want my work board to handle all kinds of things. Plus, I always attach the neck before the back since I want to cover the heel with the back. And adjust the neck angle with a shim under the neck while glueing the back.

Liam, go bars is the next thing I'll try.

Any other comments will be welcome!

Sven my little Swedish Pitepalt :D ... I also attach the neck before gluing the back (but only temporary) ..and I use a shim....My set up is a cross between Petes and yours..I've used this for nearly 4 years.. it's getting a bit beat up and it's time a made new one.
PICT0006-9.jpg

Last edited:
Ken, that's another good way of doing it. But this business of temporarily attaching the neck, that is only possible with your "applied dovetail" innit?

I might nick the idea of attaching the little disc at the sound hole tho'.

Ken, I like that form a lot! I've always wondered how to make a form that would allow me to attach a spanish style neck, and I think that may do it.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for a form that would accommodate a spanish neck?

Make a go-bar deck attachment for your solera. Four "tabs" that attach to the underside of the solera, four pieces of all-thread going up, four pieces of plastic or copper tubing over the all-thread as spacers, a deck on top, and you're in biz. Or just do it in a regular go-bar deck.

Also, if you insist on doing it on the solera, then large rubber bands are much easier to deal with. Put a bunch of round headed screws into the underside of the solera and go to town. The ball of string or lacing or bungee cord always gets tangled.

If you want to be inspired to do it the fastest way, then start using hot hide glue!

I use hide glue and the go-bar deck. I've built a really big deck that I can even do Weissenborns in, so it's no big deal.

I don't think that there is any way you could clamp up something faster than with a stack of go-bars. It literally takes 30 seconds or less to have a back in place and clamped.

Many thanks guys. I'll beef up the go bar "roof" I already have, and then make some better bars.

Gobar decks were god's gift to luthiers.

The only faster method is a dedicated single screw press with the right hard foam rubber padded cauls...a major investment in tooling per shape. That's what the Harmony factory in Chicago did. I've got some of their guitar tooling.

Well, there is one faster, and it's even higher tech. It's a holding fixture with a caul with surgical vinyl tubing which follows the exact profile of the glue line...sides and kerfing...and you toggle clamp it in place and turn an air valve which inflates the tubing providing exactly the right pressure all the way around the rim. This is real production stuff... And I might just have to set this up this year.

Thank you Rick. I'll post a pic of what happens.

Chih-Wei, just find some material and flex it.

I like the gobar method but if you are going to use the loopy cord method get yourself 100' of 1/8th or 3/16 inch shock cord. Costs about $10 online. Very useful for binding as well.

My go bars are around the 5mm diameter mark. Solid fibreglass and used in sails for battens. But all kinds of others fibreglass rods are out there. One option I've seen guys use it those for dome tents. Lot's of times the outdoor shop will have them on sale.

I got 5mm-ish fibreglass rods from Goodwinds (the close out section). I got the 48" rods cut in half for internation shipping restrictions. Cheap. $1.09 for two. The rubber feet cost a few bucks from the local hardware. Why didn't I do it sooner..............

I’m just now getting my go bar setup together. But am left wondering about the target poundage for the go bars, how much pressure do I need?

Is there a rule of thumb, or is this more a do it by feel kind of operation, or a range for different applications?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Top Bottom