PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a 5 day Ukulele Cruise from S. Carolina?

hoosierhiver
03-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Testing the waters for a 2013 event, who's interested?

http://directlinecruises.com/departure-ports/charleston/

ukuraleigh
03-14-2012, 07:56 AM
I may be interested, but your link broke. :(

UncleElvis
03-14-2012, 08:11 AM
VERY interested! I'd love to see more!

ukuraleigh
03-14-2012, 08:20 AM
The five day itinerary looks interesting. Two days at sea would provide ample of jamming time! :music:

Would this be a cruise with organized workshops etc, or just a coordinated effort to get a bunch of UUers on the same ship and just go with the flow?

Cheers!

hoosierhiver
03-14-2012, 08:29 AM
The five day itinerary looks interesting. Two days at sea would provide ample of jamming time! :music:

Would this be a cruise with organized workshops etc, or just a coordinated effort to get a bunch of UUers on the same ship and just go with the flow?

Cheers!

Ideally I'd like some workshops and performances maybe even vendors.

AKuker
03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
That looks interesting! Less time and expense than the cruise to Hawaii. That could work for us. Let us know what you decide Mike.

guitharsis
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes definitely looks interesting.

coolkayaker1
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
VERY interested! I'd love to see more!

ksiegel
03-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Never having been on a cruise - and being worried about getting royally seasick - this looks almost affordable as a vacation for my wife and me. Depending on the dates, of course.

-Kurt

UncleElvis
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Never having been on a cruise - and being worried about getting royally seasick - this looks almost affordable as a vacation for my wife and me. Depending on the dates, of course.

-Kurt

Ginger. Either in tablet form or just a root that you take a couple of slices off. Works wonders for me.

UncleElvis
03-14-2012, 11:39 AM
OOH! You could cruise to come see me in Bermuda!

Actually, if there's enough time, I might be able to get the department of tourism to organize some cool excursions and stuff.
AND, if all goes well, I'd be playing at one of the restaurants in port and would see if I could sort out some sort of, like, 10% off your meal or a free drink or something if you come play a song with me.

I'm liking this idea!

The thought of Brother Mike in Bermuda makes me very happy!

nix
03-14-2012, 02:09 PM
I would love to go on an ukulele cruise. I work at a college though so I could only go during prime times - summer, winter break or spring break. Great idea!

Nix

Bob-in-Alberta
03-14-2012, 02:32 PM
My wife and I loved South Carolina when we were there last year. Add in a cruise (which we've never done but have always wanted to do) and ukuleles and it sounds like a blast.

salukulady
03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
If you take one from the other coast (california) i'll make dinner for everyone.

coolkayaker1
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
South Carolina departure makes it particularly appealing, Mike.

AKuker
03-14-2012, 04:43 PM
OOH! You could cruise to come see me in Bermuda!

Actually, if there's enough time, I might be able to get the department of tourism to organize some cool excursions and stuff.
AND, if all goes well, I'd be playing at one of the restaurants in port and would see if I could sort out some sort of, like, 10% off your meal or a free drink or something if you come play a song with me.

I'm liking this idea!

The thought of Brother Mike in Bermuda makes me very happy!

You're in Bermda? I love Bermuda! I'd take that cruise just to watch the ship get through "the cut" into St. George's! Meet you at the White Horse Tavern!

Penguinofsorts
03-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Um...yeah!!!

BasicUke
03-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Depends on the $$, but yeah... I might be able to swing it!

Uke Whisperer
03-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Most definitely interested. My wife and I looking forward to hearing more...

UncleElvis
03-15-2012, 07:19 AM
You're in Bermda? I love Bermuda! I'd take that cruise just to watch the ship get through "the cut" into St. George's! Meet you at the White Horse Tavern!
You're on!

I'll be in St. George's this weekend, all day Saturday, playing at my wife's stall. Made seven whole dollars last week... and spent $16 on coffee for us, so... yeah... *LMAO*

White Horse is one of the places I'm hoping to approach to play this summer.

cjensen91910
03-15-2012, 07:46 AM
If you depart from Jacksonville FL it is less expensive. Depends on how many want to tour Charleston first. Charleston is a very nice town.

ukuraleigh
03-15-2012, 08:12 AM
If you depart from Jacksonville FL it is less expensive. Depends on how many want to tour Charleston first. Charleston is a very nice town.

For selfish reasons, Charleston works better as I can drive it. Jacksonville I'd have to add the cost of flights. :(

Still, an east coast 5 day cruise looks cool, regardless of departure...or destination for that matter. ;)

Starby
03-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Depending on my job situation in 2013... that would be amazing!

AKuker
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
That would be great fun. Good luck this weekend! Wish I was there.

OldePhart
03-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I might be able to swing something like this leaving from the east coast with enough warning to schedule vacation and scratch together the moolah.

Of course, I'd have to eat my words. I've a friend who loves cruises and has literally been on cruises almost as much as he's home since he retired last year. I told him they'd have to hog tie me and drug me to get me cooped up on a boat. But, hey, if there are going to be ukuleles... LOL

John

Mim
03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Were working out the details ... but if we are able to get this worked out and able to do 1/2 the things we want to do... this cruise is gonna be AWESOME!!!

Goats Can Eat Anything
03-15-2012, 05:59 PM
I love the idea and Charleston. When would it leave? If it is in the spring, I'd be totally inclined! Perhaps March?

luke'nlele
03-16-2012, 03:34 AM
Hurricane season for cruising south from the East Coast can be from June through December. We like using seabands and ginger but still just completely avoid hurricane season. It would be great if you could schedule the cruise far enough apart (6 months to a year ) from Ukulele Mike/Mike Lynch's Hawaiian ukulele cruise so that anyone who might like to do both would be able. We're not familiar with the South Carolina port but the Baltimore port is our favorite. It has, by far, the easiest embarkation procedure that we've experienced on any coast! And, there is a cruise to New England/Canada during October at the time of the Ukulele Ceilidh Festival in Nova Scotia that sails out of Baltimore.

coolkayaker1
03-16-2012, 03:48 AM
Baltimore would be even better, certainly. Catch the populated NE corridor (NY, NJ, PA, DC, etc) with a cruise from Baltimore.

Ukuleleblues
03-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Found this on a cruise forum, it's kind of long. I have read the same other places:

..... I'm supposed to go on a seven day Carnival Cruise next week. I was told by my dad who's been on Carnival Cruises before that of course I would be able to bring a guitar and so I gave him the green light to set everything up. ....I was looking forward to the island excursions and just sittin' around strumming my guitar during downtime. Well, long story short, I found out just last night whilst looking over the Carnival website that they have a ban on all musical instruments except those brought aboard by the performers! I had never heard of such a thing, nor had anyone in my family. It certainly wasn't listed in any of the literature that we initially signed on for and had it been I would have never gave my dad consent to buy me a ticket (the only place it appears is buried in the FAQ section of their website). After doing some more web browsing last night I read stories from people who've brought guitars aboard Carnival cruise ships without any problems, so now I'm not sure what to think. When I spoke to the rather patronizing Carnival representative on the phone today she claimed that those people must have been "performers" for the ship (they were not). She also informed me I couldn't even bring aboard a small ukulele as that's against "policy". She said if the policy is no musical instruments then that means no musical instruments. I was also informed that since my cruise is only a week away that if I choose not to go they will retain 100% of the price of my ticket!! Now, I really don't know what to do........

You might want to get in writing if you can bring Ukes, and when and when you can play your ukes on the cruise.

hoosierhiver
03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Found this on a cruise forum, it's kind of long. I have read the same other places:

..... I'm supposed to go on a seven day Carnival Cruise next week. I was told by my dad who's been on Carnival Cruises before that of course I would be able to bring a guitar and so I gave him the green light to set everything up. ....I was looking forward to the island excursions and just sittin' around strumming my guitar during downtime. Well, long story short, I found out just last night whilst looking over the Carnival website that they have a ban on all musical instruments except those brought aboard by the performers! I had never heard of such a thing, nor had anyone in my family. It certainly wasn't listed in any of the literature that we initially signed on for and had it been I would have never gave my dad consent to buy me a ticket (the only place it appears is buried in the FAQ section of their website). After doing some more web browsing last night I read stories from people who've brought guitars aboard Carnival cruise ships without any problems, so now I'm not sure what to think. When I spoke to the rather patronizing Carnival representative on the phone today she claimed that those people must have been "performers" for the ship (they were not). She also informed me I couldn't even bring aboard a small ukulele as that's against "policy". She said if the policy is no musical instruments then that means no musical instruments. I was also informed that since my cruise is only a week away that if I choose not to go they will retain 100% of the price of my ticket!! Now, I really don't know what to do........

You might want to get in writing if you can bring Ukes, and when and when you can play your ukes on the cruise.

Thanks for the heads up. What a ridiculous policy.

UncleElvis
03-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Carnival is pretty awful... but I'm biased.

Mim
03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up. What a ridiculous policy.

If it was part of what we are doing it might be different. We shall have to do some research and see!

Matimeo
03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Pallumus and I are very interested as well and will be keeping an eye out for details!

coolkayaker1
03-16-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear they don't allow musical instruments. I was going to bring my son's Jim Root Fender Telecaster with a Marshall Half Stack and play Slipknot's "Pulse of the Maggots" all night long in my windowless ship's cabin.

Canoe Lady
03-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear they don't allow musical instruments. I was going to bring my son's Jim Root Fender Telecaster with a Marshall Half Stack and play Slipknot's "Pulse of the Maggots" all night long in my windowless ship's cabin.

Awesome! I want a room right next to yours! :)

Ukuleleblues
03-17-2012, 02:37 AM
If it was part of what we are doing it might be different. We shall have to do some research and see!
Mim, From what I understand some of the Cruise lines allow you to book a "Theme Cruise". There may be a block of cabins that needs to be committed to, a special community uke room, other constraints, etc. It will be all spelled out in a formal contract. If you don't get a contract you might find your uke thrown in a big pile with all the other confiscated goods when you board and no recourse of action. Maybe Warren Buffet will finance it for his fellow uke players? Seriously, it is just a function of profitability for the cruise line. I'll be curious what you find out.

1931jim
03-17-2012, 02:53 AM
A Carnival without musical instruments. You gottabe kidding. There must be a little song in here somewhere.
If you snooze you loose,
If you cruise you loose.
Bring your own booze,
A cruise And A snooze.

GinnyT11
03-17-2012, 03:46 AM
Mim, From what I understand some of the Cruise lines allow you to book a "Theme Cruise". There may be a block of cabins that needs to be committed to, a special community uke room, other constraints, etc. It will be all spelled out in a formal contract. If you don't get a contract you might find your uke thrown in a big pile with all the other confiscated goods when you board and no recourse of action. Maybe Warren Buffet will finance it for his fellow uke players? Seriously, it is just a function of profitability for the cruise line. I'll be curious what you find out.

I worked selling travel for a while, but I've not worked with Carnival. Cruise lines love theme travel because it sells more cabins, but they want all passengers to have the experience they're expecting. I think their no-instruments policy is to keep random players of random abilities from playing at random times that might disturb other passengers. Now that sort of describes a group of ukers.

I'd suggest contacting a travel agent to ask if he/she would like to manage a group cruise. Let the travel agent, with an established connection with Carnival, ask the cruise line's sales manager if they can accommodate, say, 80 people who want to play uke together. I'm guessing they'd be okay with using certain enclosed spaces at certain times (say, the nightclub during the daytime), but they will be leery of lots of people with musical instruments, especially if they're idly strumming while walking down the halls of cabins at night.

I'm thinking Carnival might be more open to a "ukers cruise" if it were a shorter cruise to the Bahamas, for which they use older ships that they're constantly trying to fill. Those also have more of a party atmosphere in which ukers might be more welcome. A feature to offer the cruise line in the discussion would be a "performance" in the afternoon in the ship's theater of members of the ukers group who want to play a couple of songs. A ukey talent show.
(BTW, I recommend Royal Caribbean over Carnival. They have a 5N Bermuda cruise from Baltimore and scads of 3N and 4N cruises to the Bahamas from Ft. Lauderdale.)

If I can offer any more ideas, please ask.

strumsilly
03-17-2012, 03:52 AM
My wife and I are frequent cruisers. Carnival is not our favorite line, but my grandkids live in Charleston, so I'd be interested, though a lot better boats go out of the bigger ports like Ft Lauderdale. I have brought a uke[usually a dolphin, it likes the sea air] on every cruise I've been on. Never had a problem playing in my room or on deck, even on Carnival.

OldePhart
03-18-2012, 09:38 AM
I have a friend who retired last year and has literally spent more time on cruises than at home for the past 18 months or so (he went on two or three a year even before he retired). We saw him in church this morning for the third week in a row and asked him if he was going into withdrawal yet.

He is always on the hunt for good cruise deals. I remember talking to him a few months ago when he was between cruises and I was ribbing him about one or another of the cruise lines that had a norovirus outbreak. His response was something like "I'd rather be on a Royal Carribean ship with a norovirus than on a Carnival cruise." LOL

John

coolkayaker1
03-18-2012, 02:05 PM
I've been on three cruises--Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival--and I would rank them that way, too. Larger boats from Ft Lauderdale (besides being inaccessible for most of us in the northeast and midwest) are harder to book, I think, for themes (correct me, if I am wrong, Gwennyd). I have not been on a theme cruise, but notice that they are generally on mid-sized ships whenever I look into them. The big, bright and shiny new ships, which seem to get the business from experienced cruisers, don't need a bunch of prattling ukulele pluckers to sell out (I think).

Seems important to have a dedicated large room ready 24/7 just for the ukers--a full-time ukers hangout-- if they want us out of the hallways, restaurants and poolsides while strumming.

ukuraleigh
03-18-2012, 02:20 PM
After reading the negative feedback about Carnival, can I throw out this idea? Why not just do a 1-3 day ukulele event in Charleston?

It's a great city, nice weather in the spring, and we wouldn't have to deal with crazy cruise line policies. ;)

hoosierhiver
03-19-2012, 04:26 AM
I have also pondered a one day lake cruise from Chicago, (Seeso's idea)

GinnyT11
03-19-2012, 04:33 AM
When my son was in high school, they used to go to a small college in the mountains for a week of marching band camp before school started. They stayed in dorm rooms and used the auditorium, gym and practice fields. That would be the kind of locale that would allow a lot of ukers to wander around, jam in small groups, and have dinner together. You could be inside or outside, and there would be air conditioning.

Does anyone know of a location like that? Maybe a summer camp for use in spring, or a small college for use in summer.

coolkayaker1
03-19-2012, 04:48 AM

Or a couple of pontoon boats on Shafer Lake and some passes to the rollercoaster!

http://www.indianabeach.com/

Admittedly, not exactly Bermuda.

The issue with anything Chicago is that it'd have to be in the summer, right around your UWC, though, hh.

1931jim
03-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by hoosierhiver

Or a couple of pontoon boats on Shafer Lake and some passes to the rollercoaster!

http://www.indianabeach.com/
Admittedly, not exactly Bermuda.
The issue with anything Chicago is that it'd have to be in the summer, right around your UWC, though, hh.
If Chicago is anything like SW Ontario summer last year was on a Tuesday. HaHa!!

hoosierhiver
03-19-2012, 05:19 AM
When my son was in high school, they used to go to a small college in the mountains for a week of marching band camp before school started. They stayed in dorm rooms and used the auditorium, gym and practice fields. That would be the kind of locale that would allow a lot of ukers to wander around, jam in small groups, and have dinner together. You could be inside or outside, and there would be air conditioning.

Does anyone know of a location like that? Maybe a summer camp for use in spring, or a small college for use in summer.

Sounds alot like UWC

salukulady
03-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Sounds alot like UWC
Nothing could beat UWC. Best weekend ever.

Ukuleleblues
03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
After reading the negative feedback about Carnival, can I throw out this idea? Why not just do a 1-3 day ukulele event in Charleston?

It's a great city, nice weather in the spring, and we wouldn't have to deal with crazy cruise line policies. ;)We are putting on our 5th Blackwater Ukulele Festival on Saturday October 13 in the Charleston Metro Area. Maybe we could coordinate other events Fr-Sun or Sun-Mon.

Here is the URL.

http://blackwaterukulelefestival.charlestonhotshots.com/

The venue is a short 40 minute ride from the the center of downtown Charleston.

If we had enough folks we could charter one of the large sail sloops and have uke cruise of the harbor on Friday.

If anyone is interested in helping us do this let me know.

Ukuleleblues
03-20-2012, 01:26 AM
We are putting on our 5th Blackwater Ukulele Festival on Saturday October 13 in the Charleston Metro Area. Maybe we could coordinate other events Fr-Sun or Sun-Mon.

Here is the URL.

http://blackwaterukulelefestival.charlestonhotshots.com/

The venue is a short 40 minute ride from the the center of downtown Charleston.

If we had enough folks we could charter one of the large sail sloops and have uke cruise of the harbor on Friday.

If anyone is interested in helping us do this let me know.

The weather in October is cool like spring and the ocean water is still warm enough to swim in.

Skitzic
03-20-2012, 04:20 AM
I don't understand the Carnival hate. I was very satisfied with my Carnival cruise.

I would be down for this. :) I want to cruise again in the next few years anyway.

GinnyT11
03-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't understand the Carnival hate. I was very satisfied with my Carnival cruise.

I believe you're misusing the word "hate." Some UU posters said they preferred other lines; not one said they "hated" Carnival. I don't think ukers hate things--it's not mahalo. :)

nix
03-20-2012, 02:01 PM
A cruise would be a great idea for several reasons.
1. It has more than ukulele - if you have limited vacation and you want to spend it with your loved ones, there are a lot of activities to keep them happy while you are strumming away.
2. No driving - once you are on the cruise you can relax. Drink and get a little silly or jam until the wee hours and stumble back to your cabin.
3. The food - this is an area where Carnival shines. Of all the cruises I've been on, Carnival has the best non-gourmet type food. Can you say chocolate melting cake?
4. This is a hard one to put into words. Once you are on board you don't have to worry about anything. They take care of your room, food, entertainment and transportation. You get to go to new places every day and not have to unpack. It's just a wonderful experience.

I love the idea of an ukulele retreat and I'm going to the West Coast Ukulele Retreat this May. A uke cruise however is a different animal and I think it would be tremendous fun.

Nix

Plainsong
03-21-2012, 04:15 AM
If only I could get home, this would be awesome.

edit to add: If this is real, I'll beg, borrow, steal, and maybe save, to get there.

Uke Whisperer
06-24-2012, 02:29 AM
Any follow-up happening? It sure would be a fun trip for individual and/or entire family.

Travel agency usually works out special trips like this directly with cruise lines. I would think for a relatively large booking not only would they allow Ukes, but probably furnish a large meeting room for 0$ (or at least a good rate).

My wife has taken special group cruises out of Charleston with great service including special boarding, disembarking, etc. One special one was a "free style" that had no mandatory formal functions with several alternatives.

Anyway, I hope this trip can be worked-out.

hoosierhiver
06-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Still kicking around the idea, although that many ukulele players in the Bermuda Triangle could have unforseen consequences.

Uke Whisperer
06-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Still kicking around the idea, although that many ukulele players in the Bermuda Triangle could have unforseen consequences.

LoL! That may be worth considering! "Naw", I'd still chance it!

Plainsong
06-24-2012, 12:09 PM
LoL! That may be worth considering! "Naw", I'd still chance it!

I'm a skeptic, so I'd love the chance to prove me wrong. We have to now, for great science!

OldePhart
06-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Hmmm, you could schedule it for the week after UWC, with a stop in Bermuda - that way we could all escort E home from UWC...

"Honey, I hate cruising but I owe it to this guy to make sure he get's home okay..."

John

UncleElvis
06-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Hmmm, you could schedule it for the week after UWC, with a stop in Bermuda - that way we could all escort E home from UWC...

"Honey, I hate cruising but I owe it to this guy to make sure he get's home okay..."

John

Now yer talkin'!

As an update, though, my new gig is directly across the street from where the cruise ship lets out! We could take over all of Front Street!