My dilemma: thumb pick or finger pick?

Bob-in-Alberta

Reaction score
I'm really new at this and I'm trying to get the hang of finger picking but it all sounds so much better when I just pick with my thumb. When I'm finger picking my fingers get all tangled up and confused and I'm concentrating so hard on which finger goes to which string and it all turns into a big mess. Meanwhile, if I just use my thumb you can even tell what song I'm trying to play. So here is a question for the experienced players on this forum: Is finger picking the best way to go? I'm willing to invest some time and keep plugging away but it sure sounds better at the moment if I just use my thumb to pick the strings.

I'm by no means experienced but keep at it with the fingers, it really does get better!!! You can practice with just the right hand -- not trying to play songs -- just concentrate on where your right hand fingers are, and be sure to go slow at first.

My fingers did the same thing, and it was very frustrating, but one day it was better. Not great, yet, but one step at a time.

Last edited:
Some of the better uke players I've seen seem to use only their thumb, or just their thumb and index finger, and they sound great!

When all is said and done, take any advice you get from here, teachers, websites, videos, etc and consider them with all the importance they deserve (meaning very little), and go with the way that feels best for you. It may not be technically correct, but if you are comfy and can play well with just your thumb, then that's the best way to do it.

For the most flexibility, I'd say continue to persevere with both. Most standard picking forms tend to use the thumb for the bass notes and one, two, three or even four fingers for the rest.

Personally, my picking is merely functional, but can't imagine picking without using my thumb for parts.

Some of the better uke players I've seen seem to use only their thumb, or just their thumb and index finger, and they sound great!

When all is said and done, take any advice you get from here, teachers, websites, videos, etc and consider them with all the importance they deserve (meaning very little), and go with the way that feels best for you. It may not be technically correct, but if you are comfy and can play well with just your thumb, then that's the best way to do it.

While he is not a ukulele player, Doc Watson plays thumb and index finger and does a pretty good job.
He is also a great flat picker.

Whatever works for you is the best.

I go with "whatever works"

I play one song that works beautifully with slow thumb strokes. It requires a lot of three string strums, stopping before the "A" string. It's just not feasible to use fingers. Fast strummed songs works best for me using middle and third fingers and "brushing" the strings. It give my strums a fuller sound. Down/Up strums? Fingers down and thumb up if I want a crisper nail sound. For softer pieces, I'll reverse it and strum down with the flesh of my thumb and up with fingers (two middle fingers again)

It's really up to you and what works best. That's one of the things I like about ukulele playing. Throw away the rules and just have fun with it!

When I'm finger picking my fingers get all tangled up and confused and I'm concentrating so hard on which finger goes to which string and it all turns into a big mess. Meanwhile, if I just use my thumb you can even tell what song I'm trying to play.
The problem with only using your thumb is that there are going to be passages where it's physically impossible for the thumb to jump between all the strings fast enough. Or at the very least, it's inefficient when you have other fingers that are idle.

Look at some of the vids by Ken Middleton where he uses the campanella technique of cross stringing. His site also has some really nice, not-too-hard, free fingerpicking arrangements.

Perhaps part of the problem is trying to tackle pieces that you're not really ready for yet? I know I'm guilty of this a lot and get flustered and go back to simpler pieces. Take Jake's book as an example. How many of us opened the book only to put it away a few minutes later with a mixture of awe and disgust because we're simply not at that level of playing yet.

Personally, I use the thumb and three fingers like I learned on classical guitar. If you persevere with simpler pieces it will eventually get easier.

But, as others have said, do whatever works for you. :)

It sounds like you're on the right track. I started out just strumming, then tried picking with thumb and forefinger. Now I can sort of pick with thumb and two fingers. Havne't tried three yet...
Just take it slow and don't expect to become Jake overnight, and it will come to you. Be patient with yourself, and keep trying new things. That's what people like Jake and James do....

Practice... And it will get better.

My guitar teacher gave me great advice on this. Practice 30 min a day, Play all you want. Playing and practicing are two different things, and you'll know the difference. Practicing needs to sink into your brain overnight, so 30 minutes of practice one day can make a real difference the next. Finger picking is tough and requires some new brain pathways to get fired up. It's definately worth learning, especially if you want to do quick bluegrass type stuff. You'll never be able to hit two strings at the same time when they are not next to each other using just your thumb. It's worth learning to fingerpick.

I was a big sloppy mess when I started finger picking. It took a few months to really become comfortable with it. I still have a long way to go though. Practice practice..

for me it really depends on the song. If i'm playing a tune that requires me to ghost the g and c string a lot I'll usually pick with my thumb, pointer, and middle finger. However, if I'm playing a song that's more chordial I'll usually use my thumb more. Most of this stuff is second nature though, and after a while of playing you stop thinking about what strings your picking and start just making music!

My advice as far as finger picking is to simply learn many different picking patterns. Knowing different picking patterns will prove very useful when you start wanting to arrange your own music. Good luck and keep practicing!

Here is a help. . . a standard guitar thumb pick is really too long on a uke, and will cause problems. Aldrine has a nice clip on this site under videos on the way to cut and shape a thumb pick for uke use. It works a lot better.

Top Bottom