PDA

View Full Version : LACK OF RESPECT??? you tell me...

ukeninam
10-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I truly hope that this isn't a uke that was donated by the program UKES FOR TROOPS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4WPFFev3kQ

I understand that if you are given a ukulele or anything for that matter, you can do whatever you see fit with it. But if this was donated IMO I would totally use it or at least pass it on to someone else who would benefit from it.

I totally respect people who donate to causes such as UKES for TROOPS or UKES for Kids or any other charitable organization, I have a lack of respect for people who are ignorant and those who disregard OTHER PEOPLES GENEROSITY!!!

ukusaurus
10-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I would probably cry if someone took my uke and did that. :(

ONYX
10-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I truly hope that this isn't a uke that was donated by the program UKES FOR TROOPS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4WPFFev3kQ

I understand that if you are given a ukulele or anything for that matter, you can do whatever you see fit with it. But if this was donated IMO I would totally use it or at least pass it on to someone else who would benefit from it.

I totally respect people who donate to causes such as UKES for TROOPS or UKES for Kids or any other charitable organization, I have a lack of respect for people who are ignorant and those who disregard OTHER PEOPLES GENEROSITY!!!

highly intelligent yong men, quite obviously :uhoh:

Kaneohe til the end
10-08-2008, 12:17 AM
a-holes will be a-holes. they dont know what theyre doing. its like peeing on a grave for some people

deach
10-08-2008, 02:45 AM
If it was donated, yeah, that's pretty messed up otherwise I see nothing wrong with a couple guys who put their lives on the line everyday, blowing off a little steam in a non-productive manner.

UKISOCIETY
10-08-2008, 03:50 AM
It's got 6 peg tuners on it. Could it be a toy guitar?

SaxManiac100
10-08-2008, 04:23 AM
If these guys are some of the Marines that have risked their lives for our country I'll let this type of behavior slide. Rounds from a AK-47 wizzing by your head, and being on constant watch for roadside bombs and RPGs gives some people a different perspective on what's important in life. I will agree that they are dumbasses.

nikolo727
10-08-2008, 05:00 AM
im gonna have to go with deach.

When people join the marines...they dont come out whole. if you know what i mean. In the marines they make you want to kill. the drive your blood lust way high, so thats why you see marines and even army people alike doing stupid shit. they have fun the only way they know how in there situation. put yourself in their boots. every day they either have gunfire over there heads or they have their commanders yelling into their ears. boredom is one of the biggest things that can break a marine. they really are not themselves. Im not agreeing with them, but I feel sorry for them because they are driven to this primal stage.

nikolo727
10-08-2008, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=SaxManiac100;66616]If these guys are some of the Marines that have risked their lives for our country I'll let this type of behavior slide. QUOTE]

anyone whos a marine risk their lives for the country once they sign on the dotted lign. 4 years of it or more. its a sad but at the same time its a very honorable life. I think the sense of pride that they get from doing their job is one of the main things that keeps them pulling the trigger.

ricdoug
10-08-2008, 05:33 AM
im gonna have to go with deach.

When people join the marines...they dont come out whole. if you know what i mean.

Sorry you feel that way, Nikolo. Master Gunnery Sergeant Ric Douglas, United States Marine Corps

deach
10-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Sorry you feel that way, Nikolo. Master Gunnery Sergeant Ric Douglas, United States Marine Corps

Just to clarify, I never said "When people join the marines...they dont come out whole. if you know what i mean.".

NukeDOC
10-08-2008, 06:33 AM
two sides to this.

being a musician, i dont like to see any musical instrument destroyed like that.

being prior military, i know what its like to be bored out of my mind like that.

so point 1... what classifies something as an instrument? if they used a chair to do the same thing, would it matter? ive seen chairs used as musical instruments.

point 2... ignorance and stupidity is not an excuse. but having been there and done that... read on.

my favorite marines of all time are some marine corps fighter pilots whose airwing was attached to the carrier that i was crew on. while in port (i will not say where), they got drunk, stole a bus, rammed it into a light post, got arrested, thrown in the local jail, and was bailed out by the admiral. it was stupid, i agree, but this is also the type of marine i want fighting for me. it may sound weird. i may not make sense to most. but this shows me that they have no mind for politics. if one of my marines next to me hesitated to take someone out because they didnt know whether they should open fire, the first bullet might come from the enemy... and hit me.

so i dont condone that type of behaviour. but i aint mad at em! haha

UkEdman90
10-08-2008, 06:46 AM
If it was donated, yeah, that's pretty messed up otherwise I see nothing wrong with a couple guys who put their lives on the line everyday, blowing off a little steam in a non-productive manner.

i agree looks like one of thoze ukes u get in Mexico n e ways

ukeninam
10-08-2008, 10:12 AM
two sides to this.

it was stupid, i agree, but this is also the type of marine i want fighting for me. it may sound weird. i may not make sense to most. but this shows me that they have no mind for politics. if one of my marines next to me hesitated to take someone out because they didnt know whether they should open fire, the first bullet might come from the enemy... and hit me.

I totally agree. I would totally want guys who have the nothing to lose mentality and are FEARLESS. But at the same time they are bordering the line of bravery and being impetuous.

I also agree that those in the military are on the front lines surely something like the behaviour shown should be disregarded because they put their lives in danger to save ours right!

But also think about this would you possibly DONATE to say for example a charity to fund music education in a small town only to find out that these people are using the money to gamble or do other NOT so relevant things. I'd say they were rude,disrespectful and I would be pretty upset:mad:. That idea kind of goes with the video. We really don't know the circumstance of it all but on the forefront the word "donate" means to give to a good cause.

If it wasn't a good cause I'd probably go on to another worthy charity.IMO!

SuperSecretBETA
10-08-2008, 12:56 PM
That's definitely a cheap "paracho" mexican roadside guitar. I have the same exact one. You can't play those things at all. It has friction tuners don't work, glue all over the fretboard, thick sloppy paint everywhere (probably lead based), and steel strings worth getting a tetanus shot for. These marines aren't the type of people I would hang out with, but I wouldn't mind destroying mine either if I got bored.

ichadwick
10-08-2008, 01:19 PM
It's got 6 peg tuners on it. Could it be a toy guitar?

It's not a uke. Judging by the damage done, I'd say the wood was balsa...

deach
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Sammy - what made you think it was donated? because the comments other people, not the original poster, left?

ukeninam
10-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I heard about the Ukes for Troops awhile ago as well as Ukes for Kids. Somehow I was on another forum and I got to this YT vid. I don't know whether it was donated and I didn't say it was (i don't think i did..hmm) anyways but I automatically thought about Ukes for Troops and since technically they fit the bill I had to comment on it. Most of the comments are the same as here but I find the comments about how people don't want those guys serving for them quite interesting.

Like I said these guys are quite FEARLESS anyone who risks their lives for others needs to be commended...i live in canada and i am not from a military family or social network (i know all but 7 people in the military and all of them are no longer serving) but I do have the utmost respect for those in the military.

ukeninam
10-08-2008, 02:27 PM

:(My sincerest apology if people were offended by this thread. This was supposed to be really about donating and donations in general and I used the vid as an example yet not knowing if it is or isn't donated (i didn't say it was) my mistake totally.

I have the utmost respect for those in the military. They are brave and unselfish and I'm hoping that others can see that!!

Pete Howlett
10-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't understand war, I don't understanding xenophobia and I certainly don't understand patriotism. Anyone who joins any 'forces' is going to have as the main or part of their training practice in killing people whether it is face to face or remotely. Let's face it - that cannot be a good thing. You have to be thoroughly desensitised to be able to pull the trigger or launch the missile. That it is an essential thing is the worse endictment of this savage society inwhich we live. Curiously enough, the ukulele brings much happiness even to these marines - but did you notice? They had to destroy it to truly appreciate it... now that is only mindless, scary and immature - not the sort of people I would like to meet on a dark night having consummed copious amounts of alcohol.

RON<>VA
10-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Looking at the big picture of world events and social issues facing us, this ain't a big deal! It's all a matter of proportionality.

ChamorroDT
10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
...He bit the wood :uhoh:

Personally, if you're going to break an instrument...might as well be like that...

It was exciting, my heart was kinda like thumpin' like, "are you seriously going to smack someone on the head with a wooden instrument, and they're going to be fine with it"

If I were there, I'd play a song first at least

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-09-2008, 06:34 AM
i wud try if somebody took my uke and did that :)

Guting
10-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Its not even a uke, they definately gave that novelty justice, a bit too quick there.

HumbleSounds
10-09-2008, 12:08 PM
This thread highlights the relative nature of our existence here on earth. Your experience created through the perspective that you hold around the event. In this case if one factors in the instrument is donated one might feel this lack of respect. If one has worn a uniform in service they practice understanding and compassion.

There are a myriad of lenses through which one might view the video, or any experience. Personally, I stay out of any perspectives which create drama or dis-ease in the mind.

I do not abide in eye's that lie, and deny the fact that were all in this together.

Peace

SuperSecretBETA
10-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I vote for locking this thread. It causes too much controversy over a worthless novelty guitar tourists buy in Mexican markets. Again, I have the same exact one. I paid $6 for it and still think of it as a rip-off.

seeso
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM
I vote for locking this thread. It causes too much controversy over a worthless novelty guitar tourists buy in Mexican markets. Again, I have the same exact one. I paid $6 for it and still think of it as a rip-off.

I'm locking this thread. Not because it got out of hand, but because I believe that you've discovered the exact instrument that those guys smashed.

It isn't an ukulele at all, it's a guitar. A cheap, toy guitar.

Ukeninam started the thread thinking that it may have been a donated ukulele. I think it's safe to say that it's not. Therefore, discussion closed.