It's Official: Mim's Ukes is Moving

Mim

Reaction score
OK yall,
Since closing my ice cream shop I have been working out of my dining room... then it slowly leaked into my living room... and then it slowly leaking into my family room. In looking for a commercial space in Charlotte, I stumbled upon our dream house near where a lot of my family lives in the mountains of Virginia. I am from Williamsburg Virginia, but the mountains was my second home. We went at least once a month. It is beautiful and I always wanted to live there, but there was never a house and property that met our needs. But this house is big enough for my large family PLUS a detached 2 car garage with an 800 sq foot workshop on top! And it was a foreclosure and a hot-mess (and we are do-it-yourselfers, so being a hot-mess does not scare me). The point is:

THE NEW MIM'S UKES LOCATION WAS BORN!

It is a foreclosure and they put it on hold, so I did not want to crow about it except on facebook until we finally closed. WE CLOSED! But then I did not want to crow until we got the power on and made sure it works... IT WORKED! Then we had to turn on the water pump... IT WORKED! One leak, one sink does not work, one faucet needs replaced... WAY better than we thought and with a little elbow grease I will have the Mim's Ukes space ship-shape in about 3 days starting tomorrow. Eventually I will be adding a deck (aka pickin' porch) to the front, proper sinage, and a front enterance... gotta love the county, no zoning laws... woot woot!

So, Mim's Ukes coming soon to 6235 Buffalo Mountain Road SW, Meadows of Dan Virginia, 23120. I will let you know when we are official up and running and ready for visitors. I will be ready to ship out orders Monday, but wont be ready for on-site customers for a few weeks.

It is right off the Blue Ridge Parkway 1 mile from a major stop called Mabry's Mill. It is also off the Crooked Road, a Bluegrass Highway that spans the length of Southern Virginia. It is in Floyd County and Floyd Fest is held 3 miles from where I live. Also, the town is cute, quaint, and hosts jams every night of the weekend.

Call me and let me know you are coming if you are ever in the area!

Here is the new shop:

2012-03-09_18-15-58_752.jpg

I know, I know it does not look like much, but I have big plans. The inside has some great tall ceilings, half is finished into a front room that will be the showroom. The "warehouse" area is bare, but we are getting it finished this weekend. I will divide a room off to be a recording studio (which is basically my Mac and a USB mic, but is sounds fancy).

We are on 15 acrea and our front yard is a gentle sloping hill. And I cant help but think the bottom looks like it just might be the perfect place for A STAGE! Tee hee hee. That will be in the future, but it just might have to happen.

So, please keep in mind that until Monday 3/19 I may be a little hard to reach (that is when my internet gets turned on). I will answer any questions you have once a day until then and also I will have to rely on my phone (which has a terrible and embarrassing autocorrect problem). So calls may be the best. I will be fully functioning, in the space, and ready to send orders out again on Monday. The weekend is a wall painting, slat wall hanging, ceiling painting weekend. I can not wait to have it done! The inside is a hot mess, but should look awesome when I am done. Dark Blue, Orange, and white and SPACE!!!

I will show you some pics here and I get parts completed and on facebook (if you guys want to see pics there, be my friend! I have some before pictures of the hot mess that is my shop right now :) )

As always, thanks for your support and being an awesome community! UU is my sanity! I thought yall would like to know what is going on!

Congrats!

Where are the closest uke clubs in that area? Ric

I am seriously in the middle of nowhere. No uke clubs ... yet! Tee hee hee! I am hoping to bring the uke back in to bluegrass and get involved in the locals jams and maybe start one of my own :)

I have heard about this Crooked Road and want to check it out. Now I can check your place out as well.

Congrats on the new place!!

I am seriously in the middle of nowhere....

Yes, you are!! Beautiful country, though.

I lived up in Virginia for a few years. Brought a little bit of ukeism to the central part of the state - great luthiers in Virginia, and the ukulele is not completely unknown.

Congratulations on the new place. Sounds like you'll have it hummin' in no time.

Awesome post Mim!!! Yay!!! Thanks for the update and the story. Sounds like a fab location and just the kind of place me and eugenie would be into. Gorgeous looking workspace too...plenty big enough and you can't have too much orange decor for my liking. Just pleased that the business is going so well for you...and the freedom and peace of mind that comes with having some land of your own is hard to measure. Congratulations. A pickin' porch??? Too good. You got all the boxes ticked mate. Here's to more good things ahead for you guys. all the very bestest from us to you :)

Congratulations Mim, look like a perfect uke paradise.

Only 11 hrs away... And I am going to VA in July. Hmm!

Brilliant! Congrats on your awesome new space!

Congrats Mim! I remember when you were just talking about selling ukes on the side while the ice cream shop was the main enterprise! You've come a long way! I'm happy to see great things happen to great people!

Way to go Mim! Follow that dream.

Aloha MIM,
Congrats on the new diggs....just love the rural life....hope you have safety precautions up there or intend to install some...for safety reasons in an isolated spot..
Thank you for letting us all know and sharing your current status with us....You go girl...By the way that would make a good ukulele calendar photo once you get
the sign up and you are holding a couple ukes... woo hooo

Conga Rats! ;)

This is just too cool for words and I am SO tickled for you. It looks plenty awesome to me!

:smileybounce:

Top Bottom