PDA

View Full Version : Kalei Gamiao - Funky Tango (cover)

ItsAMeCasey
03-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Hey guys, been working on this one for a few weeks and figured it's about at performance level. Definitely not perfect, but it's a pretty challenging song and I didn't wanna spend forever trying to get a great take.

I made this video primarily to give all you ukers a good view of the fret board. There aren't any videos of Kalei playing this song which give a clear view, so I figured I'd try to achieve that. Learning the song was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, but trying to get it as clean as Kalei is proving harder than I anticipated LOL!

But hope you folks enjoy! I'm thinking about doing a tutorial on the licks in this song, so let me know if that's something you guys would like to see. Thanks for watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nITvkqoOwRw

GX9901
03-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Whoa, you're awesome dude! That was pretty flawless. I'd love to learn this one, but it looks really hard!

smellofstrings
03-14-2012, 09:47 PM
WOW! Cool playing! :bowdown:

23skidoo
03-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Holy smokes, Casey, that's good. You just keep getting better, man.... you play so musically, really nice phrasing and feel - I'd rather listen to you play than a lot of the famous guys with record deals. Keep it up.

Mandarb
03-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Dude - that was awesome! A couple of weeks - I could work on that song a year and still not play it half as good as you. There were some sick bends in there as well. Good job Casey!

UkuEroll
03-15-2012, 03:39 AM
Casey that really really rocked. I would love you to do a tutorial of that, not sure if my worth browns would bend that far though, but I would like to try, love those licks!!

Trinimon
03-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Aloha Casey! Man, you got some crazy talent brah! Send some of that my way! lol

caukulele
03-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Incredible, I loved the rhythm and playing. Wonderful.....I really have so much to learn!

RyRod
03-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Casey, you are awesome!

ItsAMeCasey
03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
mahalo guys! I'm gonna work on the tutorial for the licks right now, so it should be up relatively soon. Glad you guys enjoyed, and thanks for all the compliments! Really means a lot coming for you all.

coolkayaker1
03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Casey--your videos are the bomb. I first learned of you from your Kalei G Strum lesson video. You have all the skills down pat. And I mean, pat. Now, I'm new to ukes, so take this lightly. Sometimes, in some vids, like Something, you push the tempo just a smidgeon. And in some of your Kalei vids. Just a tad, ever so minutely, fast, I think. Likely it's the zeal of a young player. But, with time, you will have the full nuances of varied pace, like Jake. So, now I will get skewered for being a novice and giving a skilled player like you an observation--not advice, b/c you can study it and see if you agree or disagree based on your thoughts on what I observe. I could be wrong. Adjust only if you thing you need to.

That all said, you should record a CD of original stuff. You're just as good, if not better than, some people I know on uke who are putting out CDs. You are that good, Casey. The next Jake? Maybe. Cheers, man.

benjoeuke
03-15-2012, 01:31 PM
As we say here in Cali, "Totally awesome!"
:cool:

ItsAMeCasey
03-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Casey--your videos are the bomb. I first learned of you from your Kalei G Strum lesson video. You have all the skills down pat. And I mean, pat. Now, I'm new to ukes, so take this lightly. Sometimes, in some vids, like Something, you push the tempo just a smidgeon. And in some of your Kalei vids. Just a tad, ever so minutely, fast, I think. Likely it's the zeal of a young player. But, with time, you will have the full nuances of varied pace, like Jake. So, now I will get skewered for being a novice and giving a skilled player like you an observation--not advice, b/c you can study it and see if you agree or disagree based on your thoughts on what I observe. I could be wrong. Adjust only if you thing you need to.

That all said, you should record a CD of original stuff. You're just as good, if not better than, some people I know on uke who are putting out CDs. You are that good, Casey. The next Jake? Maybe. Cheers, man.

thanks for the kind words man, and I agree, I have problems keeping time. I tend to speed up at harder parts, and slow down at easier parts (generally speaking). I think I've been getting better though, as I've been fortunate enough to play with some great musicians at my school. Also, I read somewhere that Aldrine had rushing problems, and he's friggin amazing now which is really encouraging haha! And I made a cd of my original stuff like 9 months ago, but I've improved a lot since then, and am planning on re-doing the songs this summer.

coolkayaker1
03-16-2012, 04:23 AM
thanks for the kind words man, I made a cd of my original stuff like 9 months ago, but I've improved a lot since then, and am planning on re-doing the songs this summer.

Looking forward to it, Casey!

edc175
03-16-2012, 01:35 PM
that was amazing!!!