Jakes Documentary

Ronnie Aloha

Mahalo Sen. Dan, R.I.P.
UU+
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just back from the premiere of Jake's documentary at the Castro in SF.

Wow. That's all I can say. I learned so much about the man behind the uke. It's a touching film that had many, including Jake, in tears. For those who can't see it on the film festival runs it will be on PBS in the fall.

Sorry that I can't post photos or videos right now since I only have an iPad with me. I'll try and get some up tomorrow when I return to LA.

Dom rocked too. Jake shared with the audience about how much Dom gives back to the uke community. Congrats Dom!

Last edited:
I saw the trailer and I was completely wowed. Did you hear anything about a DVD for those of us who don't live in the States?

DVD sales are usually available after the national release. They usually don't sell then before the film festival runs are over.

Thanks for a quick review. I have been looking foward to seeing it. Glad to hear that Dom rocked as we all knew he would.

Here's the trailer. It looks fabulous.

I'm glad to hear it was good, I've been excited to see it since that Blue Roses clip was released. I'm also glad to hear it will be shown on PBS since we don't know when a DVD will be released. (I'm still waiting on a DVD release of the My KoAloha Story film that was shown at festivals last year).

I'm glad to hear it was good, I've been excited to see it since that Blue Roses clip was released. I'm also glad to hear it will be shown on PBS since we don't know when a DVD will be released. (I'm still waiting on a DVD release of the My KoAloha Story film that was shown at festivals last year).
there is a vid on youtube about koaloha, very good its on for about an hour

I agree with Ronnie -- the documentary (which is currently being called the untitled Jake Shimabukuro documentary) was wonderful and surprisingly moving. Before the screening, SF Supervisor Jane Kim read a proclamation from the city declaring March 14, 2012, "Jake Shimabukuro Day," and the film's producer spoke briefly. After the film, Jake was introduced, and he was moved to tears as he talked about the film. Then Jake played a few songs before giving Dom a very complimentary introduction. Dom got a great reception and played "Me and Shirley T." Then Jake played again before calling his brother Bruce to the stage to play together. Then Jake and Bruce called their mother to the stage and the three of them performed a Hawaiian song that Jake said was one of his favorites when he was growing up. Jake graciously agreed to sign autographs after the event, but the line was pretty long, so I didn't wait (I already have a Jake-signed ukulele). It was a wonderful evening.

Until Ronnie posts photos and videos, here's my recording of Dom playing "Me and Shirley T." Sorry about the shaky camera; I was watching Dom instead of the screen on the back of my camera.

Last edited:
I agree with Ronnie -- the documentary (which is currently being called the untitled Jake Shimabukuro documentary) was wonderful and surprisingly moving. Before the screening, SF Supervisor Jane Kim read a proclamation from the city declaring March 14, 2012, "Jake Shimabukuro Day," and the film's producer spoke briefly. After the film, Jake was introduced, and he was moved to tears as he talked about the film. Then Jake played a few songs before giving Dom a very complimentary introduction. Dom got a great reception and played "Me and Shirley T." Then Jake played again before calling his brother Bruce to the stage to play together. Then Jake and Bruce called their mother to the stage and the three of them performed a Hawaiian song that Jake said was one of his favorites when he was growing up. Jake graciously agreed to sign autographs after the event, but the line was pretty long, so I didn't wait (I already have a Jake-signed ukulele). It was a wonderful evening.

Until Ronnie posts photos and videos, here's my recording of Dom playing "Me and Shirley T." Sorry about the shaky camera; I was watching Dom instead of the screen on the back of my camera.

Wow!!! Way to go Dom!!! GREAT, GREAT Job!!!!!

Wow, Dom, that is about as cool as it gets. You truly are the man! Congrats.

Lol. When Jane Kim gave her speech she mentioned two friends who were in town to watch the documentary and were crashing at her house. Guess who one of them was??? :)

Lol. When Jane Kim gave her speech she mentioned two friends who were in town to watch the documentary and were crashing at her house. Guess who one of them was??? :)

I'm as impressed that you crashed at Jane Kim's house as I am that you're a friend of Jake's. :)

Dominator was excellent, one thing that always strikes me with Jake is how humble the guy is, there are no 'airs' or 'graces' with him despite his incredible talent

P1030979.jpg

P1030980.jpg

VIP reception:

P1030986.jpg

P1030985.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom