Waiting for my new Covered Bridge Concert!

mollys

Reaction score
My playing doesn't justify a new instrument, but I decided to go ahead and get one anyhow. I've ordered a redwood and myrtle concert from Covered Bridge.

Though waiting is hard, it's exciting to follow the build on facebook.

The Bullingers have been responsive and easy to work with. Can't wait for it to be finished and try it out.

Congrats on the upcoming new uke - it doesn't matter what your playing level is....just enjoy.

Sorry, not on Facebook so unable to follow but I would love if you shared some pics here.

you will really enjoy this--covered bridge instruments are excellent

I'm jealous! I've been following all the Covered Bridge builds on Facebook. They all look gorgeous!

@Mandarb - You should be able to look at the pictures by clicking on the link, I don't think you need to have a facebook account or log in.

Nice! I'm in the pipeline for a myrtle/redwood tenor from Brad Donaldson. Personally, I think your choice of woods is excellent! :) The grain on your redwood top looks great, nice and straight. I would really like to read your impressions of the tone, volume etc. after your instrument is delivered. I think Covered Bridge is putting out some exceptional instruments.

Cool!!!
Looks like a sibling to my myrtle/redwood concert. I'm thrilled with mine and am certain you will love yours! You may have seen this, but incase you did not here is a review with a few pics and a video I did with mine. Hope it wets your appetite. I find it incredibly responsive with great volume. The entire instrument truly comes to life as its being played.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?60803-New-Covered-Bridge

@Mandarb - You should be able to look at the pictures by clicking on the link, I don't think you need to have a facebook account or log in.

Nope - it is blocked at work. Oh well - congrats again.

jwietes, I saw your review and am so happy you like yours so much. I can't wait to get mine!

Scott, I'll definitely let you know my impressions after I recieve it, but it will still be a while. To be honest, I don't have much exposure to playing other ukes, so I can only really compare it to my current Samick CK-70.

Hi! Beautiful choice of tone woods, here is my new custom... just completed!

Stoked for you! I understand the feeling. It's nail-biting!!! Redwood is GREAT for tops. And you can't go wrong with Myrtle. Myrtle is the secret weapon the guitar world. Its getting more popular. My custom tenor is salvaged old growth Redwood, and Cocobolo back and sides. I designed this ukulele myself, and my luthier says that it has piano overtones. Check it out...

Attachments

• -3.jpg
    -3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 47
  • -4.jpg
    -4.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 35
  • -5.jpg
    -5.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 33
Wowee! That is beautiful! Nice to hear the comments about redwood. I've read that its like cedar, only a little cleaner and more robust. I also like the solid soundboard. What effect, if any, do you think the soundboard has on the overall sound? I'm going to have a custom tenor built, and am planning on it having two soundholes in the upper bout (double puka) like a Mele or Keola Beamer's guitar, to increase the solid portion of the top.

Last edited:
Wowee! That is beautiful! Nice to hear the comments about redwood. I've read that its like cedar, only a little cleaner and more robust. I also like the solid soundboard. What effect, if any, do you think the soundboard has on the overall sound? I'm going to have a custom tenor built, and am planning on it having two soundholes in the upper bout (double puka) like a Mele or Keola Beamer's guitar, to increase the solid portion of the top.

Mahalo! Redwood has the best of both worlds when it compares to Cedar, and Spruce. It's warm without losing projection. Think about pianos and grand pianos. The difference in tone and sustain between the two comes from the amount of sound board that is able to 'move, ring'. The grand have a larger surface (soundboard) allows for more the board to vibrate. Therefore increasing the volume, the richness of tone, and sustain. The soundboard is the most important part in dealing with sound. What I would recommend is keeping the area above and below the bridge free from vibration obstruction. So moving the sound hole out of the way should give you what you are looking for. So having the 'two puka' sounds great! How about having one puka on the bottom for the audience, and a side-port for you. I know guitars are different but check out McPherson guitars. They make top of the line instruments, and they took innovation to another level. Watch his video's, he can explain it better. Also if you noticed, I have a cantilevered neck. Can't wait to see your custom!!! Hopefully you can endure the wait...:D

What I would recommend is keeping the area above and below the bridge free from vibration obstruction. So moving the sound hole out of the way should give you what you are looking for. So having the 'two puka' sounds great! How about having one puka on the bottom for the audience, and a side-port for you. I know guitars are different but check out McPherson guitars.

Its funny, when I saw the pics of your instrument I thought of McPherson because of the neck. I do see the value in how you had your's built. The whole idea of the double puka on the top was to increase the area of vibrating soundboard. Very interesting idea... So when you say the listener's port could be on the "bottom", where exactly are you referring to? Thanks for the idea. I will have to ponder it.

Trying to add a few pictures here for those who cannot access facebook.
back.jpginside.jpgside.jpgtop.jpg

Sorry about that, let me clarify. Usually most luthiers put the off-center sound hole (the puka on the sound board) on the upper left hand corner of the top, nearest to the player. Then they'll put a side port right above that on the side nearest the player. But this design is not really a great idea since you have both puka's, the side port and the sound hole together. So my idea was for the sound hole to be on the other side of the sound board, putting more space between the pukas. But all of this would need to be worked out with your luthier because of the shape of his jigs/bodies. But having the two puka's on top will look amazing as well. You are getting a Tenor for this I presume. Mahalo and have an awesome weekend!

Once you get some finish on that back, that myrtle is going to look gorgeous! Have you decided on binding color and material? I'm still considering what will look best on mine, but thinking that I want a wood binding like walnut or rosewood.

So my idea was for the sound hole to be on the other side of the sound board, putting more space between the pukas. But all of this would need to be worked out with your luthier because of the shape of his jigs/bodies. But having the two puka's on top will look amazing as well. You are getting a Tenor for this I presume. Mahalo and have an awesome weekend!

Hello, and thanks for the clarification! I was thinking all last night about how much I would enjoy a soundport - I was playing in a contorted position so that my ear was in front of the soundhole. It would be really nice to have some sound directed at the player. I also appreciate how much more of the soundboard would be available to string vibration by moving the soundports. I'm intrigued. On your instrument I see only the soundport on the top side. Do you have a second port somewhere? Have a great weekend as well!

Yes, I'm using bloodwood for the binding - it just went on yesterday!

Wow, molly, that is lookn' good!

Top Bottom