PDA

View Full Version : a new aquila unwound string for the low G tuning

mimmo
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Hello to everyone
I would like to show you a new string (not wound) for the low G 4th
it is a special elastic and loaded ( with copper powder) Nylgut.
Deep red brown coloured....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evy5rdJyvAU

Ciao
Mimmo

Kanaka916
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Will they be available as singles? Cost?

PedalFreak
03-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Sounded great! When can us dealers start ordering them?

Scott S.
03-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Good news! I'm going to convert the 1.07 mm tenor diameter into inches to make sure it will fit my nut slot.

Edit: Did the conversion, and 1.07 mm = .0421 inches. That would require a pretty healthy adjusment to the nut. Fremont's unwound low g is .036" and is too big to seat properly in my Kanile'a.

JimmyRoberts
03-15-2012, 11:32 AM
From the Youtube description:

Diameters: included in a range of 1.00 to 1.07 mm (Soprano and Tenor Ukuleles)

I'm definitely interested.

mimmo
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
hello,
this kind of string is elastic so it fit quite well on all the ukulele bridge types because the gauge get thinner . I already tryed on different ukes without problem
availability: more or less around June. I am not totally sure if it is better to do a whole low G set nylgut set with this strings as 4th or just as sigle string G
I will keep the decision in relax.
Thanks, geetings from Italy
Mimmo

dnewton2
03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Looks like you had a whole mess of the strings. How about a little market research with UU members?:D. I would love to try one out.

Kanaka916
03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
+1 . . . UU Testers

stevepetergal
03-15-2012, 02:35 PM
One skeptic, here. How does such an elastic string work with the nut slot? The string sounded pretty good but out of tune. I'm not a Nylgut fan so if we can buy just the one string, I'm sure I'll try it, but I can't imagine how one would get it in tune.

grandpoobah
03-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I'd certainly buy a set just to check it out. I'm consistently frustrated with low G options. Especially if the G lasts as long as the other strings.

southcoastukes
03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
I fugured Mimmo would do this one day. Congratulations if he's pulled it off. "Loading" a string is an ancient technique, and a student of string history like Mimmo would be the one to do it. That old red color is a tip-off.

As a matter of fact, he's done it before. I almost had my hands on a few of the earlier models, but then they were discontinued. From my understanding, this is a very tricky process, with the old formulae lost in the murky medieval history of string-making. There were apparently various methods of impregnating or even gluing metal particles to gut to give it more mass. In the end, winding metal around a gut core turned out to be more reliable, but the gut/particle string (or in this case nylgut variety/particle string) has always been intriguing, because it would have less of a metallic sound than a winding.

The elasticity is puzzling to me, but Mimmo is a bit of a mad scientist (in the best sense), and I imagine he's learned a lot, as he's kept after this for a good while. It would have been nice if the string could have had a slightly higher metal content, and therefore a bit less diameter, but no doubt there are other factors such as bond and tone that have gone into the make-up.

Once again, congratulations, Mimmo!

mimmo
03-17-2012, 06:43 AM
yes,
for those that would like to test just one: please send me a private message. I have some for Soprano, Concert and Tenor and... Baritone.
yes: yesterday I tried to do the 3 & 4 th for Baritone DGBE and they work properly.
a movie on youtube soon.
Mimmo

Jake Wildwood
03-17-2012, 07:23 AM
This is awesome. It also means that for players that like 5ths tuning -- GDAE -- on soprano, we'll finally have a string that sounds right.

mimmo
03-17-2012, 07:44 AM
well, my intention is not to destroy the wound string's reputation. I would like to see if it is possible to offer something of alternative.
If you have an aple it is ok but if you have an aple an orange it is better!
Greetings form Italy
Mimmo

TheUkulelePanda
03-17-2012, 08:17 AM
They should make a set of coloured strings, not just a G. That would be awesome!

Scott S.
03-17-2012, 08:29 AM
They should make a set of coloured strings, not just a G. That would be awesome!

Have you heard of Aurora strings? Its my understanding that they are made in collaberation with Aquila, and the come in awesome colors! I've tried a set on my Kanile'a tenor and thought they sounded really good. Much like Aquilas but perhaps a tad warmer. Here's a link: http://www.stringsbyaurora.com/index.php

TheUkulelePanda
03-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Ahhh thanks for that!

UK Paulie
03-17-2012, 09:32 AM
+1 . . . UU Testers

Me too, I mean, for the good of the ukulele community...

J'Ukebox
03-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Talk about finding a need & filling it! I, for one, have been waiting & wishing for just that!! Mahalo!

mimmo
03-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Hi,
I received a lot of private comunications.
Thank you so much for your help to test these strings.
I have no more possibility to give samples to others.
availability: probably June .
Thank you again
Mimmo

blue_knight_usa
03-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Sounds flat to me compared to something like a D'Addario wound G. Hard to tell on Internet videos but did not sound very clear with sustain. Then again the uke could be the reason why as well.
Interesting.

Found this on the strings:

Main Features:
Technical solution adopted: Nylgut made firstly very elastic and then added with red copper powder in order to increase the density to about twice that of standard white Nylgut

Color: red-brown
Surface: smooth
Elasticity: excellent
Intonation: perfect at the 12th fret. Pressing strongly the string on the frets, the note does not became sharper
Density: about twice than standard white Nylgut
Diameters: included in a range of 1.00 to 1.07 mm (Soprano and Tenor Ukuleles)

mimmo
03-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Yes, they do not sound like the wound strings because this was done intentionally. In other worlds this was the goal
For those that like brilliant and persistent performances they are not suitable: there are the traditional wound strings for that
These strings are for those that prefere a different presence that fit better with the upper strings.
Now it is possible do a choice while before there was'nt any different possibility.
The only option is fluocarbon: I tested it of course but I found out some problems (weak power, the note became sharper on frets, weak working tension)

Ciao
Mimmo

GVlog
03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evy5rdJyvAU

In June of 2012, Aquila will be releasing their Red Series unwound Low-G strings (http://www.aquilacorde.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=1656&lang=en). It will be interesting to see how these compare to fluorocarbon (aka "carbon") strings from Worth.

The video doesn't seem to be a very good sampling of these strings though. Maybe Mimmo should consider a do-over.

http://www.aquilacorde.com/images/stories/tuttefoto/low4.JPG

Look at how the 4th is tied at the bridge. I wouldn't use that kind of tie with any nylon or carbon string no matter what the gauge. I'm suspecting that the texture of the string has to be coarse enough so as not to slip with a simple D-shaped loop that I would normally use with a wound string.

arashi_nero
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
totally excited. can't wait to get rid of the wound low g string on my 8 string.

the.ronin
03-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Look at how the 4th is tied at the bridge. I wouldn't use that kind of tie with any nylon or carbon string no matter what the gauge. I'm suspecting that the texture of the string has to be coarse enough so as not to slip with a simple D-shaped loop that I would normally use with a wound string.
I see a lot of classical guitars tied like that for all strings not just the wound ones.

Interesting they used a Leolani for the background uke.

Hobo
04-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Mimmo was very kind to send me a couple of his new low G strings. I installed one on my Kamaka HF-3 tenor and was amazed at how well it sounds. It's perfect -- and just what I was looking for! It fits the nut perfectly and, while being a bit elastic, it tuned up well and seems to hold tune. Congratulations to Mimmo for his kindness and craftsmanship! Grazie mille!

stevepetergal
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
I was a skeptic and I have now had one of these new strings for a couple of weeks and am surprised how nice it is.

As far as sound is concerned, it balances out volume-wise with the D'Addario classical strings I currently have on the instrument. But, the classical strings are a little quiet for my taste. It might not cut the muster with anything much brighter or louder. But, in general, the new, non-wound string sounds very much like any other non-wound low G string. Kind of thuddy sounding. Not enough vibrance for me. To be fair, I am comparing it to wound strings. But, it has excellent sustain.

It does fit in the nut slot of my high G tenor and slides smoothly without widening the nut slot. That's a real plus.

It is a little difficult to get it to tune because of its elasticity, as I had expected. Even though it fits the nut slot very nicely, it takes extra work to get tension of the speaking and non-speaking lengths of the string to even out. But, it is not as hard as I had expected. (Not like pulling a rubber band through the eye of a needle, but you get the idea.) It takes a little longer. This is not a real negative.

The sustain definitely puts it a cut above the other non-wound strings I've tried (including Aquila Nylgut). It may be as good as the wound strings, in this one regard. If I was looking for a non-wound low G string, I'm sure this would be on my short list. I give the string a B+ for sure, maybe an A-. If I preferred a non-wound low G, it would be an A+.

Plainsong
04-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I fugured Mimmo would do this one day. Congratulations if he's pulled it off. "Loading" a string is an ancient technique, and a student of string history like Mimmo would be the one to do it. That old red color is a tip-off.

As a matter of fact, he's done it before. I almost had my hands on a few of the earlier models, but then they were discontinued. From my understanding, this is a very tricky process, with the old formulae lost in the murky medieval history of string-making. There were apparently various methods of impregnating or even gluing metal particles to gut to give it more mass. In the end, winding metal around a gut core turned out to be more reliable, but the gut/particle string (or in this case nylgut variety/particle string) has always been intriguing, because it would have less of a metallic sound than a winding.

The elasticity is puzzling to me, but Mimmo is a bit of a mad scientist (in the best sense), and I imagine he's learned a lot, as he's kept after this for a good while. It would have been nice if the string could have had a slightly higher metal content, and therefore a bit less diameter, but no doubt there are other factors such as bond and tone that have gone into the make-up.

Once again, congratulations, Mimmo!

So when some local players were telling me of an unwound low g Aquila string, then that was actually a thing that existed at some previous point in history?

I'm looking forward to trying this one out. :)

dnewton2
04-13-2012, 02:14 PM
I got a sample of the new string in the mail today. Unfortunately, for me, it was a tenor string and I do not own a tenor ukulele. So I will send to the first person to quote this message in this thread and send me a pm with their address, US please. I would however ask the recipient to provide a review/feedback as that was my intention.

Mimmo thanks for the string. I will buy one when they are available to try out.

Some one got it!

GVlog
05-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm rather impressed with the sample that I received from Mimmo! (I'm also impressed by the lengths he went to send it to me quickly!)
:)

I'm now wondering if it might be possible to make a classical guitar string set with these as basses!
;)

stevepetergal
05-06-2012, 03:09 PM
well, my intention is not to destroy the wound string's reputation. I would like to see if it is possible to offer something of alternative.
If you have an aple it is ok but if you have an aple an orange it is better!
Greetings form Italy
Mimmo

In this respect, this string is a resounding success.

Kanaka916
05-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I installed the low g string from Mimmo on my HF3 (replaced the Southcoast Med gauge 4th) and I really like it. Gave the Kamaka a very balanced low end and seems like more timbre to the trebles. A friend of mine played my Kamaka and he was amazed at the sound of it. It's gonna be a toss up because I still like the Southcoast linears. I will definitely keep a few spares when it becomes available as well as Southcoast spares
. Thanks Mimmo.