a new aquila unwound string for the low G tuning

Will they be available as singles? Cost?

Good news! I'm going to convert the 1.07 mm tenor diameter into inches to make sure it will fit my nut slot.

Edit: Did the conversion, and 1.07 mm = .0421 inches. That would require a pretty healthy adjusment to the nut. Fremont's unwound low g is .036" and is too big to seat properly in my Kanile'a.

Last edited:
From the Youtube description:

Diameters: included in a range of 1.00 to 1.07 mm (Soprano and Tenor Ukuleles)

I'm definitely interested.

hello,
this kind of string is elastic so it fit quite well on all the ukulele bridge types because the gauge get thinner . I already tryed on different ukes without problem
availability: more or less around June. I am not totally sure if it is better to do a whole low G set nylgut set with this strings as 4th or just as sigle string G
I will keep the decision in relax.
Thanks, geetings from Italy
Mimmo

One skeptic, here. How does such an elastic string work with the nut slot? The string sounded pretty good but out of tune. I'm not a Nylgut fan so if we can buy just the one string, I'm sure I'll try it, but I can't imagine how one would get it in tune.

Last edited:
I'd certainly buy a set just to check it out. I'm consistently frustrated with low G options. Especially if the G lasts as long as the other strings.

I fugured Mimmo would do this one day. Congratulations if he's pulled it off. "Loading" a string is an ancient technique, and a student of string history like Mimmo would be the one to do it. That old red color is a tip-off.

As a matter of fact, he's done it before. I almost had my hands on a few of the earlier models, but then they were discontinued. From my understanding, this is a very tricky process, with the old formulae lost in the murky medieval history of string-making. There were apparently various methods of impregnating or even gluing metal particles to gut to give it more mass. In the end, winding metal around a gut core turned out to be more reliable, but the gut/particle string (or in this case nylgut variety/particle string) has always been intriguing, because it would have less of a metallic sound than a winding.

The elasticity is puzzling to me, but Mimmo is a bit of a mad scientist (in the best sense), and I imagine he's learned a lot, as he's kept after this for a good while. It would have been nice if the string could have had a slightly higher metal content, and therefore a bit less diameter, but no doubt there are other factors such as bond and tone that have gone into the make-up.

Once again, congratulations, Mimmo!

yes,
for those that would like to test just one: please send me a private message. I have some for Soprano, Concert and Tenor and... Baritone.
yes: yesterday I tried to do the 3 & 4 th for Baritone DGBE and they work properly.
a movie on youtube soon.
Mimmo

well, my intention is not to destroy the wound string's reputation. I would like to see if it is possible to offer something of alternative.
If you have an aple it is ok but if you have an aple an orange it is better!
Greetings form Italy
Mimmo

They should make a set of coloured strings, not just a G. That would be awesome!

Have you heard of Aurora strings? Its my understanding that they are made in collaberation with Aquila, and the come in awesome colors! I've tried a set on my Kanile'a tenor and thought they sounded really good. Much like Aquilas but perhaps a tad warmer. Here's a link: http://www.stringsbyaurora.com/index.php

Talk about finding a need & filling it! I, for one, have been waiting & wishing for just that!! Mahalo!

Top Bottom