frequently asked but search wont work: wide nut

I think LoPrinzi will build you a 1 1/2" for the same price as a standard model. And mine plays beautifully.

Kanile'a tenor has a 1.5" nut, as does the aNueNue O'ahu tenor.

Oscar Schmidt makes a wide neck but I don't know the exact dimensions. Ukulele Mike uses one in some of his teaching videos.

I researched this on the thread linked by vanflynn. Kanile'a and their Islander ukuleles apparently all have 1 1/2" nut width. I tried out the Oscar Schmidt OU6W (tenor) which has a 1 3/4" nut. The strings are very widely spaced. I liked the instrument, but the nut width seemed almost ridiculous. I've read here that Lanikai has the LQA-C with a nut width of 1 3/4" too, plus a couple of other exotic wood models (zebrawood and monkeypod),in tenor and concert sizes at 1 1/2".

I found one claim that the Koaloha tenor had a wide nut width, but I measured one and it was 1 3/8".

Other than the ones mentioned, I guess most builders will make one for you. Not a lot to choose from, but some very nice instruments, to be sure.

Thank you gents, Van, thanks for finding the link, for what ever reason the search function wasn't working at all, Steve thanks for the insight.

Top Bottom