how long would people wait when they think they might be getting cheated by seller?

smokemeister25

Reaction score
was just curious how long other people would wait to do something when they think they might be gettin cheated by a seller? at first i thought it was just taking a huge amount of time but no i can't get them to even answer correspondence.

it's been over twice the time it was supposed to take.

item was paid for in full. 4 figure money involved

he won't respond to emails, and i've sent several.

just curious how other members would react. was supposed to be weeks and is now several months. i get no correspondence. kinda hate to get nasty if it's just taking a LOT longer, but what would other do and be willing to wait?

Last edited:
If it was me....(I hope you paid with a credit card!!) contact either paypal, if used, or your credit card company and stop the transaction. It will save you your money and they will contact the seller and find out what the problem is.
Good luck and don't wait too long!!!

More info would be helpful but if it's several months, then you've been more than patient. I realy hope you have protection rights.

i paid with a credit card but through paypal....

just for peoples info, if you have a problem and used paypal they only will do something within 45 days of the transaction. so, if you make a downpayment and the seller takes over 45 days, the only part of the money they will guarantee to do anything about is whatever you paid within that 45 day period. they will ''possibly'' take the whole amount into consideration but transactions are only limited to 45 days. although i can attempt to do something through the card company.

first off, i feel bad having to think about doing anything, but feel worse about maybe being swindeled out of a rather large amount of money... as long as you talk to me about what's happening i'm pretty OK with things. but when somebody won't even respond to inquiries about what's going on after i've heard several reasons why they have effectively not lived up to the time frame originally quoted by such an overdue timeframe i don't know what to do. i intentionally haven't posted the name of the company, but if this doesn't get rectified and rather quickly i certainly will to protect forum members from being cheated and start some type of collection processes. the internet is a double sided sword. it can be a helpful thing to endorse people, but also can be really ruinous to people who want to stay in business and cheat people. all i want at this time is what i paid for. but i also don't want to have such a bad taste in my mouth about it that i can't enjoy it. if it ever shows up..... that's why i'd like to know what other would do. i'm not an unreasonable person. and i definitely paid every penny when i was told it was ready to be sent. and that is weeks ago and he won't answer me now....

Last edited:
by the way.... i'm pretty sure what i did, and the transaction i entered into and the way i paid, is probably exactly the same way all or most people would have done it.... and it's a known person and company albeit a small one, not some fly by night business people haven't heard of.... but almost all of the vendors we deal with are smallish. so i really don't think i did anything other people wouldn't do. how many of us have the luxury of buying by just driving down the street for our uke needs?

the only reason i'm not naming right now is i'm still hoping to get what i paid for and obviously if i start to fight with them it's just gonna make it worse... if it could be. but if things don't work out quickly like i said, i'll definitely help to protect others from this

Sorry to hear your uke has issues and not living up to your expectations...seller or uke.. I am sure it is a business you're talking about and it is a new uke...not a private seller..
I'd give them 4-5 days to respond...and keep pestering them...sometimes it is that they are busy or the office person is out. can you try and call them... yes being burned four
figures is extreme... what issues do you have..just wondering, feel for you....I always say buy from a reliable source even if you have to pay a little more..

You should not feel at all guilty about taking action at this point. Stopping your PayPal transaction isn't backing out of the deal, you're just trying to get someone's attention while protecting yourself. And you've been considerate enough not to smear their business name prematurely. Kudos to you.

I would definitely phone them, as Stan suggests. If you don't have the phone number track it down. Sometimes email addresses get fouled up so that it be a very unreliable means of communication.

Good luck.

i thought this was a pretty reliable source... i'm hoping it still turns out to be. but it's not been a LONG time. over twice the time i originally said i would be willing to wait and if i couldn't have it within that frame i wouldn't be interested. ''no problem....'' was the answer i got several times. if i would just not be ignored so many times i'd not be feeling so vulnerable.... it's too the point now i feel stupid asking what's going on? how many times can someone ask the same question????

Agreed; I too am sorry you are not having a good experience. Our whole business model is based off customer service, we want people to be happy with what they got regardless of who it comes from- I hope everything works out! If not; Ill have a coupon waiting for you with us.

It's not clear from your original post, but it sounds like you paid for something and you haven't received it yet. I had that problem once. I bought some Makala dolphin ukes online from a guy who had a shop in Florida as well as an website. Nothing happened for a long time. The seller responded to the first few emails I sent him and then stopped. After what I thought was a reasonable time (less than several months), I called the police in the town in which he had his shop. I told the intake officer my story, and told him that I was calling, in part, because I was wondering if somethng had happened to the seller. I said I didn't want to file a police report if something had happened to the seller, but I would if he simply had taken my payment without sending what I'd paid for. The officer called several days later to say that they'd send a police cruiser down to the guy's shop and had spoken to him, and that he'd be refunding my money. And he did.

Depending on the credit card issuer, a credit card issuer may not be of much help because the issuer paid PayPal, not the seller. So my other thought, if you think the seller's email address is correct and he's getting your emails and just not responding, and if you don't want to involve the police, is to send him, by certified mail with return receipt requested if you have a street address for him, and by email if you don't, a copy of the complaint you file with the district attorney for the area in which he lives. I hate to resort to threats, but people tend to respond when it looks to them like they're going to get into trouble. A little drastic? Yeah, but if the seller is not reposnding to you, you have limited remaining options for getting his attention.

Last edited:
Hopefully it's not those ukes MGM has stuck in customs! (kidding.)

Smokemeister, I hope you get it sorted out. I know you don't want to "out" the seller, but letting us know could potentially save some of us from the same fate if we knew who it was. Just a thought.

Is this in regard to the custom you said you ordered at the end of January?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...got-my-first-ukulele-and-it-should-be-a-honey

If so, then the retailer is at the mercy of the supplier/builder. By the very definition of "custom" wouldn't it be an item they don't normally stock and would presumably be made to order? Or an item they anticipated having available by a certain date, but it hasn't materialized yet?

Granted, that's no excuse for lack of communication on the seller's part, but you are the one who's already throwing around words like "swindled" and "cheated" as if they were deliberately out to rip you off.

I'm hoping there is a little action happening towards my getting my purchase. i hope so... all i want is to get my merchandise and be a happy strummer. hopefully we can chalk it up to bad customer service and nothing more....

So is this a custom order as itsme asked? You raised serious concerns and we all rallied behind you. You need to be up front with us.

If it were me I'd contact the police, also if the US mail was involved it may to contact the USPO because this may quality as mail fraud which may be a felony. I had to contact the local police as mentioned by another poster when someone refused to return a painting to me that they had on "approval". As long as you have appropriate written documentation then the police should be able to help. As for giving all the benefit of the doubt to the seller, well that person quoted you a delivery time that's well past and certainly knows that they have your money and haven't delivered. I say it's time to protect yourself. I don't necessarily think that you should "out" someone here on the board, you've handled this very tactfully and you can always say "contact me by PM if you want more details". You've given this seller way more slack than they deserve especially if they're not answering emails. Good luck, g2

As much as my curiosity wants to know who the seller/luthier/company is, I think you have handled this very well by not outing them. I remember there was a thread not too long ago about a Compass Rose. The buyer had been given a time period when the uke would be done...when that period had come and gone, he started emailing Rick Turner and didn't get much in the way of a response. Turns out that Rick was super busy and the buyer ended up getting his uke...just a couple of months late. Although disappointed by the lack of response and extra wait, the buyer said the uke was worth it in the end.

Could be a similar situation...seems like, in this case, it has been even longer than the other thread but if the seller/luthier/company is well known and has a good reputation, I sure there's a reasonable explanation as to why you haven't received your uke yet. The lack of response is worrisome though. Keep emailing/calling them and keep us updated!

Ever tried to call the guy...i would almoist always get a phone number if it was a custom or special order...If your emails aren't getting answered...it may be a computor or email problem....I would pick up a phone and try to call the party.

he started emailing Rick Turner and didn't get much in the way of a response. Turns out that Rick was super busy

Busy with what? Your primary obligation as a business person is to stay current with such things - after all you took their money. I can see delays happening with ordering ukes and custom building and quality problems, but ignoring an e-mail that takes 10-20 seconds to respond to?

Busy with what? Your primary obligation as a business person is to stay current with such things - after all you took their money. I can see delays happening with ordering ukes and custom building and quality problems, but ignoring an e-mail that takes 10-20 seconds to respond to?

I'm not condoning Rick's actions. Didn't mean it to come off that way. Just saying these situations happen...situations arise that can delay orders. Remember what MGM went through? I remember a thread in January about KoAloha not responding to emails...turns out the entire KoAloha staff was in California for NAMM. Just last week someone was complaining that Mainland wasn't responding to emails...turns out Mike was off at a uke festival. Being busy isn't a good excuse for missing the deadline by a couple of months but my point is that the seller is not necessarily meaning to cheat the buyer.

Top Bottom