Aquila Strings - Old vs. New Bionylon

brUKEman

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the Aquila strings. I know the new BioNylon strings have been out for a while now and I was wondering if people are switching over or just sticking with the original Aquila.

I am trying to decide which would sound better on a Vintage Martin Concert.

Would appreciate all opinions...

Vintage Martin Concert...in my estimation, Aquila (either formula) would be way to "boomy" for a Martin. I have a 1940 Martin type 3 Soprano and I tried Aquila on it...Nylgut, and did not like the tone- I prefer the chime of either Worth Browns or Southcoast mediums on it. I have to admit I have gone from Aquila in everything to Southcoast in everything because I like the chime and sustain they get...but I played the Bionylon in a few ukes (not the Martin) and while they had a little more of the tone I was after (less boom on the C string), I found I preferred Fluorocarbon strings in almost every uke I own (which is regrettably way too many). I also personally could not stand the way the Bionylon felt...just me probably, but I like the Nylgut much better.

Ken Middleton did a comparison between the two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ILpHArVKw

Based on the feedback he received, three times as many people preferred the nylgut strings.

I've never tried them so I can't really give you an opinion. On the uke Ken was playing, I did prefer the nylgut. You should try out a set and see how they sound on your ukulele.

nylgut for me, much nicer voice

Martin Flurocarbons or Svarez

I would recommend you try the Martin Flurocarbons or (a name you don't hear but I found out about it from a Uke luthier and once I tried them I have switched all my ukes to them except my Mya-Moe which has Worth Clears on right now) Svarez Reds, they make a soprano/concert uke set which is brand new to the market.

Svarez has been known in the guitar world and I played with those strings before they released their soprano/concert set. I use their guitar strings on my Tenors with a Fremont low G string and it makes my Kanilea sing like no other strings. Just a rich, full sound with tons of sustain. I learned from a good friend on UU that it does not matter what everyone else is using, it's what you find sounds the best and plays the best for you. I also use the Svarez Reds on my Collings with a wound low G as the concert does not have enough tension with the Fremont low G clear unfortunately (I love the Fremont low G on the tenors with the Svarez Reds as it has a completely even sound across all strings)

Just my .02 and good luck on the strings.

I too moved away from Aquila but I went to Savarez Red's on my concerts and tenors with a low G Fremont clear. Same thing, I love the chime and sustain they get and the warmer sound which blends the notes together for my ear a bit better. I did keep the Martin Flurocarbons on my Martin soprano as they just sound fantastic on it so I have just left that combination alone. Are strings like clothing for people? You put them on and if they don't do it for you, you take em off an put on another pair? Gives a new meaning to G string doesn't it?

Vintage Martin Concert...in my estimation, Aquila (either formula) would be way to "boomy" for a Martin. I have a 1940 Martin type 3 Soprano and I tried Aquila on it...Nylgut, and did not like the tone- I prefer the chime of either Worth Browns or Southcoast mediums on it. I have to admit I have gone from Aquila in everything to Southcoast in everything because I like the chime and sustain they get...but I played the Bionylon in a few ukes (not the Martin) and while they had a little more of the tone I was after (less boom on the C string), I found I preferred Fluorocarbon strings in almost every uke I own (which is regrettably way too many). I also personally could not stand the way the Bionylon felt...just me probably, but I like the Nylgut much better.

I tried Bionylons recently, and absolutely HATED them.
They really are one of the deadest sounding strings I've ever used. Even deader than the cheap, stock GHS strings that come on cheap ukes.

They really are one of the deadest sounding strings I've ever used. Even deader than the cheap, stock GHS strings that come on cheap ukes.

If someone is looking for a warmer Nylgut (Aquila), the Nyltech (D'Addario with help from Aquila) are a much better option.

My Kamoa E3-P came with Bionylons. Did not like thrm and switched them out for Worth Brown Mediums. Have never been a fan of Nylguts primarily because of the feel. Have pretty much settled on Worth or Fremont Blacklines.

I had the same experience - could not wait to get them OFF!! (Tho' I am a fan of their Nylgut for some of my ukes).....

Don't forget that the bionylons were never intended as a replacement for the Nylguts. They are for people who prefer the sound of nylon. Nylon are great for people who play plugged in most of the time.

Yes, I confirm
My intention was to introduce some of ecofriendly in the string- planet. Bionylon is of the Nylon- family so the performances are those of Nylon.
The difference is that we are spweacking of a 100% a plant derivate. Please do not confond the materials: Nylgut is bright, Bionylon is mellow.
Some people hate Nylgut and love Nylon, some people love nylgut and hate Nylon, some others hate both Nylgut & Nylon and love fluocarbon....
this is fantastic-
Ciao
Mimmo

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to say that I had the same experience as "guitarsnrotts". I got a Kamoa E5-T and it came with bionylons. I really like the idea of the environmentally friendly strings I can totally get behind that. The sound was softer than aquila nylguts, a more nylon sound like Ken said. It wan't a bad sound though for my Kamoa, which a cedar top low g and sounds dark and mellow anyway. My issue with the bionylons was the texture of the strings, I just couldn't deal with my fingers squeaking on the strings as I was playing. It was like nails rubbing softly on a chalkboard. If the texture of the strings was fixed I would definitely opt to trying the bionylons again. Just my two cents.

So the texture is like typical black nylon strings, right?
How's the sound. And the tension?

Not sure what you mean by black nylon strings, but the sound of the bionylons was balanced and soft it was a good sound for my Kamoa. The low g string that it came strung with is wound and it sounds humongous almost too big if that can be said. It tends to drown out the other strings. It matched better and sounded less out of place though with the bionylons. I have some aquila nylguts on the bottom three strings right now to try to them out and the wound low g is way to much. I'm going to have to order some oasis warm low g strings later today probably to try those out. (I couldn't find anyone selling ukulele low g strings locally in San Antonio.) :/ Anyway I think I prefer the brighter sound of the aquilas for strumming, and the mellower bionylons for fingerpicking at this point. Tension wise I noted little difference, other than that I did notice the bionylon strings seemed a bit thicker than the aquilas.

Top Bottom