Roy Smeck Vita Ukulele

Blaze_o_rama

Reaction score
Hello, I inherited a Roy Smeck Vita which I believe to be a very early one. It is in near mint condition with no repairs and only a very small nick on the top area, maybe 1mm. Other than that, it's in excellent, un-restored condition. My father bought it back in the 70's, and it has been in the family ever since, and rarely used. I don't play myself, but my daughter wants to learn. I wonder if I should get her a practice uke, and keep this one in the case. I don't even know what it's worth. Any ideas from someone would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I've seen the vita ukes listed on ebay for anywhere from $400 to $1000; I can't tell you what they actually go for.

Yes, get your daughter a good practice uke. When she shows proficiency (knows at least 4 songs and can play in 2-3 keys), give her the Vita. Before that, however, let her see what it feels like/sounds like, and see if she wants to play that vintage instrument. If the answer is yes, there's the carrot to learning. If she doesn't care, then send it to me - I'll take good care of it.

-Kurt​

+1 on what Kurt said...she needs a practice Uke for a bit, and I will gladly watch the Vita for ya

If money's not an issue, I would suggest getting her a Flea to learn on and have as her main Uke. Then when she's really into it the Vita can become one of the jewels of her (inevitable) collection.

The Fleas and Flukes are so consistently well built, rugged and most importantly easy to play that they are, IMO, the perfect first Uke.

Scooter

Practice uke!! Your father preserved the vita for al of those years. Save the vita for when she grows up (and play it in the meantime, which will make it more meaningful to her when you DO give it to her).

How old is your daughter, and is she a careful person? If she is a responsible 12 year old, and if she really likes the look and sound of the Vita, I would say let her play it, even as a beginner.
–Lori

Top Bottom