Ordered A Fluke

rook

Reaction score
I just ordered the Lava Tenor Fluke with rosewood fretboard from flea market music.

I know it will be a bit of a wait for it to ship here to Ontario Canada as I understand it takes a minimum of 3 weeks just to leave CT.

I am planning to give FMM a call to arrange that they put Aquila Low G non-wound strings on it. I'm just wondering if anyone has a similar experience when ordering a fluke and if FMM will accommodate this request?

It's been a while since I bought my Lanikai Tenor which impresses me on a daily basis but UAS was too strong and the Fluke has always been at the top of my list.

So how many here have Flukes and how do you like them?

i love mine, but with the rosewood fretboard, mmmm bet that will be really nice congratulations

I have 2 tenor flukes, a natural fluke with a plastic fretboard and a SB walnut, as well as a concert Surf Flea. The plain tenor fluke is always out in the family room. The flea travels with me often. I don't play the SB much, but every time I think about selling it I play it and decide against letting it go. I love my flukes and flea and want to add a Firefly, but Mya-Moe beckons.

I have a custom painted tenor Fluke that I ordered from FMM. It was going to be an upcharge for them to string it with low G (not sure why as I was buying it new). So I got it with the stock Aquillas and put a Freemont Blacline low G string on it that I had on hand. Sounds great. Because this was going to be a uke that I could take camping with me and be out in the elements, I opted for the plastic fretboard. But I did spring for Pegheads, very worthwhile IMO.

Yes, FMM will meet requests. They have great customer service, and love to keep customers pleased and happy. Call them - they are very pleasant people.

Plus, they're in the Berkshires so you're supporting a great local economy! I was so psyched when they jumped the border over to Sheffield, MA...I'm from Amherst and it would be an hour and a half to drive there. So many Flukes around where I'm from. Alas...nothing out here in the midwest except for Lanikai and the occasional nice uke.

Thanks UU community for the great feedback about FMM and about the Fluke itself, much appreciated.

I have a custom painted tenor Fluke that I ordered from FMM. It was going to be an upcharge for them to string it with low G (not sure why as I was buying it new). So I got it with the stock Aquillas and put a Freemont Blacline low G string on it that I had on hand. Sounds great. Because this was going to be a uke that I could take camping with me and be out in the elements, I opted for the plastic fretboard. But I did spring for Pegheads, very worthwhile IMO.

Now you've got me thinking about the Peghead geared tuner. Is this an upgrade I should consider? Are the friction tuners decent?

I have a tenor Koa Fluke and I absolutely LOVE it!

Enjoy,

Scooter

Plus, they're in the Berkshires so you're supporting a great local economy! I was so psyched when they jumped the border over to Sheffield, MA...I'm from Amherst and it would be an hour and a half to drive there. So many Flukes around where I'm from. Alas...nothing out here in the midwest except for Lanikai and the occasional nice uke.

Dale and Phyllis and their staff are great - I was the first customer to visit when they opened the new shop in Sheffield, and bought my Fluke on the spot, as well as ordering my Firefly. (The drive from the Albany Area is about the same 1-1/2 hrs - and well worth it!)

While I don't see too many Flukes or Fleas around here (One of the local shops thinks that they are nice, but "too expensive for our buyers"), those that I do see are well played, and the owners are happy ukers.

-Kurt​

Now you've got me thinking about the Peghead geared tuner. Is this an upgrade I should consider? Are the friction tuners decent?

The friction tuners they use are Grovers - not bad, most folks I know have no issues.

But after using the pegheds, the $69 upgrade is VERY worthwhile! I love 'em!

-Kurt​

No flukes here, but a couple of fleas. Since I don't play low-G, I got the plastic fretboard. Regarding the Pegheds, both my fleas have them. There's no problem w/the friction tuners, but I've never regretted the choice of Pegheds. It only hurts once (per 'ukulele :p ), and they are so easy to use. Lighter than frictions, I don't know if they're as sturdy as them if dropped, etc. They look great.

Regardless, enjoy your new Fluke. I've been quite happy since I got fleabitten.

:D

I'm another Flea owner. I keep looking at Flukes online and really wish someone sold them locally. I'm going to try one the first chance I get and buy it if it feels comfortable. One thing about the Flea - the bridge slot for the G string isn't wide enough for a non-wound low G. You'd have to file it wider or have it done if you want to use low G tuning.

Since I got my Flea, I hardly play any of my other 5 ukes unless I want low G tuning on a song. The Flea sounds so sweet with Martin strings. I stuck with the plastic fretboard but upgraded to the Peghead tuners and really like them.

Good look with your Fluke purchase! Hope you love it as much as the rest of us on UU who have Flukes and Fleas.

Nix

Good choice. You're gonna love it.
I've got a concert fluke, a soprano flea and a firefly.
I think I've earned a Christmas card from FMM.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and recommendations with regard to the Fluke.

For this reason and after a lot more research, you tube surfing and bank account number crunching I have decided to go full boar with this purchase.

My Fluke will now be as follows:

•Tenor Lava

•Peghed geared tuners

•Walnut neck (thanks to Beth for the suggestion)

•B-Band Undersaddle Pickup w/preamp, t&v and tuner

•Rosewood Fretboard

•Aquila strings with Fremont Tenor Low G

•Hard Case

Definitely didn't come to this decision lightly but I love the look of the Fluke and ever since I first saw one I knew that I had to have one. With all the opinions and reviews not just here but all over, the final decision was clear to me.

The only bad 'reviews' I saw were on Uke Cosmos where some seemed to think the Fluke has no soul. I think I even saw one post where the individual thought the Fluke's very existence was offensive. Really? Cool, I'm gettin' one then :cool:

Just a quick point on the Fluke. If you are going Low-G, the stock saddle goes way sharp at the 12th fret on the G. I actually just ordered some blank saddles from stew mac and am planning on making a compensated saddle for Low-G. I got a Koa Tenor Fluke for low G with non wound Worths.

If you can get them to compensate the saddle for low-g, I would highly recommend it. I love my fluke and I have a flea that gets tons of play time. Great instruments.

Rook,

Sounds like a great combo. I have a Flea and a Fluke and my father owns a Fluke as well. I learned to play on my Fluke. Mine has the plastic fretboard and I wish it would have had the rosewood fretboard since it looks so much nicer. The walnut neck is also really sweet looking! Please post photos when you get this beast!

Just a quick point on the Fluke. If you are going Low-G, the stock saddle goes way sharp at the 12th fret on the G. I actually just ordered some blank saddles from stew mac and am planning on making a compensated saddle for Low-G. I got a Koa Tenor Fluke for low G with non wound Worths.

If you can get them to compensate the saddle for low-g, I would highly recommend it. I love my fluke and I have a flea that gets tons of play time. Great instruments.

Thanks for that grandpoobah, I actually spoke to the builder and quoted this to him yesterday, he didn't seem to think that would be an issue as he himself has a similar setup, but said that they would send extra saddles should I need to change anything down the line.

Rook,

Sounds like a great combo. I have a Flea and a Fluke and my father owns a Fluke as well. I learned to play on my Fluke. Mine has the plastic fretboard and I wish it would have had the rosewood fretboard since it looks so much nicer. The walnut neck is also really sweet looking! Please post photos when you get this beast!

ChrisRCovington, not too worry I'll definitely be putting up some pics (and vid(s)) :cool:

Rook. My Fluke definitely goes sharp with unwound low-G. If yours is being built for low-g you may not have the same issue, and I hope you dont.
That said, if you have extra saddle blanks. I'll gladly take them off your hands =)

Top Bottom