Kanilea Story

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey all, last night I was fortunate enough to attend an event featuring Joe Souza (and family). It was an event organized by Smiley and Janet Kai of Ukulele Source in San Jose. Joe spoke about his background and interests that ultimately led to the founding of Kanilea, how it was named and the philosophy behind the company. Then he went through the build process and talked in great length about Kanilea's UV finish. To finish the night he played his eight string Kanilea and sang a few songs. The highlight was when he called Kristin to come up and dance a hula as he sang. I say "highlight" because it was obvious he was singing to her and not just performing a song, and she in turn was dancing for him. Very cute.

-Gary

joe souza.jpg

I was at Aloha Warehouse in SF Nihonmachi the other day and they mentioned that the Souzas were going to be there too. Could be this weekend.

Yeah, they said they were heading to SF today, and then to Berkeley tomorrow. Very nice family.

The highlight was when he called Kristin to come up and dance a hula as he sang. I say "highlight" because it was obvious he was singing to her and not just performing a song, and she in turn was dancing for him. Very cute.

I was there as well and I agree. The story & process was interesting, the Q&A was good, but Joe's singing and Kristen's hula was the highlight. Nice to see success coming to good people. Joe's 8-string was gorgeous, too.

Top Bottom