Trouble with the G string...

Valerie

Reaction score
My G-string has always played a little sharp. I mean, I can tune open to G, but from the 1st fret up it goes sharp (and is horribly sharp by the 4th fret.) The 12th fret (according to my chromatic tuner) is just barely recognizable as "g".

Anyways, so about a week ago I sanded down my saddle to lower the action and I was sooo happy because all of a sudden my G string was in tune! (yay!)

But that was because the G string kept on going flat (and thus everything else was no longer sharp...)

Now that the strings have settled down the same old problem has returned.

Anyone know a way to fix this? All other strings ring true.

I'm wondering if I should switch to low G strings (now that I've two ukes I was going to change one out to low G anyways...)

Would that help? I've also got a little strip of hard plastic that came with the saddle when I first bought the uke (and then took out from under the saddle...) But I thought raising the saddle up raised the pitch... Anyways, am I mistaken? Should I put that back under the saddle?

I know things like this have been asked before, but I feel like my personal frustration makes me special.

Last edited:
try changing the sadddle. just order one from hana lima i guess that could be an option. if your crafty you could probably get it.

but if you dont want to take the risk email G string ukulele and tell them your problem they should be able to help you solve it or theyll ask you to send it back so they can do it them selves. there is a warranty im sure =)

She doesn't have a G-String uke. The problem is with g string on her uke.

The uke is a Lanikai and I sent the company an email over two months ago and heard exactly ziltch from them. I do have a warrenty, though. So perhaps it is past time to get nasty and start complaining about "poor customer service" and "Tell everyone I know: Lanikai sucks!" (squeaky hinge and all that...)

The good news is there is a local lady who does uke repairs (the bad news is I think she's more into heavy duty repairs rather than intonation adjustments and I'm sure she's more than I can afford...)

I just spotted another, and recent, thread about this issue:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6157

He, too, is having intonation problems with just one string. But everything everyone told him (lower the saddle, change strings, etc.) I have already done and to no avail.

I love the sound of this instrument, I do. But the more I play it the more I find wrong with it. The nut is cut wrong (forcing me to turn the "A" tuning peg in the wrong direction to prevent buzzing.) And other various nit picks (such as glue in places there shouldn't be glue.)

I am having some serious buyers remorse and kinda wish I hadn't spent the 300 bucks I did on such a pretty looking uke and instead spent 300 bucks on a better made uke.

Blah blah blah.

This is quickly turning into a pitty session so I'll stop.

Last edited:
Did you get this from Rob? He has "ins" with Hohner/Lanikai. Call him and see what he can do for you.

Yeah, I got it from Rob (who is awesome!) And maybe I should contact him.

I'm a little worried, though, that by messing around with the saddle I've forfitted my warrenty (but could messing around with the saddle be considered the same as, say, changing out the strings? Too minor an adjustment to be considered tinkering?)

To be honest, I was just told the warrenty was lifelong and this is a problem I've had from day one. AND! I did send the company that bloody email blahever ago.

And this isn't a new problem. Just before (and if you watch my vids, you'll see) I just didn't play anything but open, 1st or 2nd fret on the "g" string. But now that I am trying to tackle pieces that require higher fretted notes on the "g" string stuff has started to sound like crap and I'm upset.

And now I'm typing in circles, so I'll stop for real, and plan on calling Rob this weekend... Or maybe tomorrow if he'll answer the phone...

Top Bottom