"Vintage" Kanile'as

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
Some of you may have read that recently I have become a big Kanile'a fan. I am also a big KoAloha fan and I know that their earlier models, especially with round sound holes are hard to come by and popular/expensive.

So I am wondering- what is the market like for older Kanile'a models; the ones before the TRU bracing and the partially domed back? While researching this on Google, and finding not a whole lot, I did come across this article: http://www.oahuislandnews.com/Feb03/Home.htm

Were people "investing" in ukuleles and did they retain their value (the pre-TRU bracing ones)?

Mahalo for your thoughts.

Interesting article!
I don't know about the market for early Kanile'as, they don't come up for sale much. Given the evolution of instrument prices over the last few years, I would say that a lightly used one could easily sell for purchase price. I bought my K-1 tenor new (at a marked down price) a little over a year ago, it had been hanging in a shop for 4+ years.It was made in Sept 06 after the UV finish came in (July '06?). It is pre-TRU bracing, and has a blue label, and a gothic text "Kanilea" headstock decal. I think the "KU" was the original logo, and the text version was used for a brief period before the current logo..
The wood is not particularly flashy, which may explain how it survived on the wall at a guitar store for so long.
The sound is incredible though. Clear and clean and chiming. I would love to know more about the Kanilea timeline. Probably the best way to find out is to give them a call...they're still small enough that you can talk to Bill, Joe or Kristen.

Top Bottom