Homemade Case/Pegheds/Lanikai Strings

AncientMatingCalls

Reaction score
Hey folks, Ive got a few things I'd like to share.

First off here are some pics of a homemade case I made for my Lanikai banjo uke. It turned out pretty well but its a little over sized and heavy as a boat anchor. So its its not completely practical, but it was fun to build. I'll likely try again in the future. Hopefully I can find a lighter build material. I just ended up using plyboard.

I've also got some pics of the Pegheds (courtesy of Bill otherwise known a the Crafted Cow) I installed on my Lanikai. I originally bought them to put on my Koaloha Concert, but its going to the marketplace to fund a Mya Moe resonator (can't believe its happening). So I decided to throw them on my banjo uke.

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

It looks really nice! Is that a faux-leather paint job or is the exterior covered in something?

As far as reducing weight: have you considered starting with an old suitcase? All the hardware is there, and it's both lightweight and strong, though it may still be a bit oversized. My 1st project involved re-fitting a broken, smelly chipboard violin for my Mainland, but I doubt I'll find another. The search is on for a small old Samsonite-type suitcase to make a custom case for my new Makai. (As a bonus, my favorite charity thrift store just gives luggage away occasionally. With spray foam and the craft foam/batting/velvet I already have, the whole thing will cost me around $10.)

Top Bottom