UK fluorocarbons for a banjo-uke?

barefootgypsy

Reaction score
I've been recommended to put fluorocarbon strings on my little vintage banjo-uke, for the sound. Here in the UK the choice seems to be Worth, Martin or Fremont. Before I buy, any recommendations or caveats? I've searched the forum but nothing answers my specific question! Thanks! :)

I use regular Aquila nylgut uke strings on mine. No wound 3rd. I don't ever plan on changing. Can't comment on the fluorocarbons.

never tried flurocarbon strings on a Bu. i use aquillas or Galli strings.

Hi Strummin simon, I follow your blog already! I put a comment on there the other day......:D Thanks to all for your comments - I'm learning so much on this forum!

I use Fremonts on mine. They sound great and are really smooth to play, so finger noises are kept to a minimum. One thing to keep in mind though is that they have to be made for the right length (which isn't the same as for wooden ukes of the same scale because the strings don't stop at the bridge but continue all the way to the tailpiece) otherwise they'll snap (added tension to reach same note as shorter strings). I use tenor-length strings on my soprano banjo uke for instance. Don't know if there's the same problem with nylogut strings on banjo-ukes but the fluocarbonate ones definitely snap. And quite brutally!

I have no banjo uke experience, but I've been playing a uke set up by this person tonight; he did a lot to help and really knows his stuff! Plus £4 for two ukesworth of strings isn't bad!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UKULE-BAN...ts_Sting_Instruments&var=&hash=item61ccfc5654
Thanks for that, that's really interesting! I haven't seen those before and don't know anything about them...they're definitely a good price! I'm tempted to try those gut strungs.... I think I'll contact him for a bit more info. That's fantastic, Chris, thank you!:cool:

Top Bottom