Where to place strap button?

ukemunga

Reaction score
I have put strap buttons on my Kala SLNG and now want to do the same on my Mainland concert.

I put the "top" strap button on the Kala directly into the heel of the neck straight on from the back which works well, but gets in the way when I want to lay the uke down on a flat surface.

Would it be a bad idea for any reason to place one into the curve of the back of the neck as indicated in the attached pic? would it cause any structural problems - be more likely to split the neck or anything?

Thanks!

Attachments

• UkeNeck.jpg
    UkeNeck.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 30
Hi ukemunga

As long as it's done carefully (drill a pilot hole, wet the button screw with soapy water, and screw in slowly), you shouldn't cause the split. I do not like the button on the heel as the ukelele (guitar in my case) tends to rotate if not supported. I prefer the middle of the neck but I use the treble side not at the very middle.

Cheers
Chief

Most straps I see are at a 45 degree angle facing down. However, the luthier gets a round sander or some other bit and makes a round flat surface to attach the screw. Most of the time, a felt washer is between the screw and wood.

I would suggest this method:

dscn5549.jpg

Most straps I see are at a 45 degree angle facing down.

Yes, place the button on the Underside of the neck (not the heel), or the ukulele will tend to flop forward when let go of.

Also, I see many with straps tied to the headstock under the strings. Wouldn't that cause stress on the neck with downward strumming... then again, I guess you're supporting the neck anyway with your fretting hand.

Also, I see many with straps tied to the headstock under the strings. Wouldn't that cause stress on the neck with downward strumming... then again, I guess you're supporting the neck anyway with your fretting hand.

I used a strap on my Koaloha head and didn't like it at all so just put a strap button on the neck. I had to get some warranty work done so it was installed at the factory

I am a strap maker for far longer than I have been connected with PEGHEDS. The underside of the heel of the of the neck is where it should go as shown in bynapkinart's illustration. Tying around the neck by the nut won't warp the neck, because it will warp your neck first. There are a couple or reasons why a tie at the far upper end has some drawbacks. #1 it holds the back of the instrument tight up against your body and destroys any sound which might come through the back. It does not allow one to swing the neck away and free up the sounds which really do come from an exposed back. #2 it gets in the way when fretting around the first fret.
Drilling and setting a button on the front sideputs it into end grain wood with less strength and more cance of splitting if it were bumped/jerked severely.

I've only got 1 uke with strap buttons, and I decided to put it in the neck block on the back of the ukulele. I saw James Hill's ukes up close and they all had them in this location. The strap never gets in the way of playing, where even on my acoustic guitars that little button can get in the way. I don't play with straps too much anymore, but if I ever had a custom built and needed buttons I'd always go with this location on ukes :)

IMGP0641.jpg

Pedalfreak, do you have a hardcase? How does it fit with the button on the back?

Top Bottom