mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
When I started over again over 4 years ago, my second uke was a
Oscar Schmidt OU5 and I played it just a few times...and it sat dormant
in it's case ever since..this morning I picked it up and opened the dusty
case and played it..now alot more experienced, I enjoyed and appriciate
it alot more..before I thought it was was too muted but it had great intonation..now I see if I attack the strings a little harder, it's better..
My question to you all, have you ever overlooked a uke because you
got caught up in the snobby uke craze "I want a more better and expensive uke"? lesson learned..:)

I have. But, I try to beat it, and play "Iz" & Ku'u poki'i every week or so. I still love those two Ohanas, and they play so nice, and sound good.

When I started over again over 4 years ago, my second uke was a
Oscar Schmidt OU5 and I played it just a few times...and it sat dormant
in it's case ever since..this morning I picked it up and opened the dusty
case and played it..now alot more experienced, I enjoyed and appriciate
it alot more..before I thought it was was too muted but it had great intonation..now I see if I attack the strings a little harder, it's better..
My question to you all, have you ever overlooked a uke because you
got caught up in the snobby uke craze "I want a more better and expensive uke"? lesson learned..:)

Aloha Stan. Nice topic. But I can never go back and play my first uke, it sounds that bad. As a matter of fact, I named it Dog s**.

Aloha BigT,
Yeah Bruddah, I remember dat uke..Yes Yes cannot foget...ahhh
Aloha Bruddah D,
Ha Ha...wen you git 3 moore bettah's ..I guess it's so hard to go back..eh Ha ha that name..really..
I'm sure Bruddah Tony or I can make it sound way better ...give Bruddah Tony a holler..he can save her..

Last edited:
I bought a Lanikai electric acoustic with Low G. I have always liked that uke.

Its interesting the comment about attacking the strings. I did that after some of my used ukes I bought had serious marks on them so what the hell - play it hard and wow, fun and a real musicality sound to it .

Nice one, Stan. After reading the thread, I pulled out my Hilo soprano that I got at a gas station in Kauai. It's been sitting in the closet for months and the darn thing was still in tune. Intonation is absolutely horrible up the scale, but as a 1st fret strummer... it's great. It was the uke that started it all for me. Been through a lot of ukes since then (and more to come for sure) but that one will never go. Thanks for the reminder!

have you ever overlooked a uke because you
Hey Stan! I think my tendency is more to overlook ukes that I don't find as 'good looking'. As far as price goes, no. One of my fave ukes is one of the first I ever bought...a Les paul copy mahalo soprano. was $65 and to this day is still one of my nicest sounding ukes. actually this one gets plenty of love even though to me it's ugly. For some reason eugenie loves this one lots too...she likes to take strays under her wing...that's why she tolerates me I guess. nice thread Bruddah. I guess as we improve as players we must also get better at extracting the most from our instruments, eh, whatever be their cost or drawbacks in construction.

lol, my first uke is a Mahalo Les Paul copy and it is also one of my best sounding uke. It gets plenty of strum time with junior. :)

My 1st uke still gets played regularly. I had trouble bonding with a uke I had gotten later in "uke-life". Put it away for a few months and when I pulled it out I found my tastes had changed. I played more music/different kinds and this little uke had a very nice personality for certain songs. Gotta say I have to play before buy now. The only winner I got that I purchased without playing is my Koaloha concert sceptre I got from dkcrowne. That baby is a winner.

I bought a Lanikai electric acoustic with Low G. I have always liked that uke.

Its interesting the comment about attacking the strings. I did that after some of my used ukes I bought had serious marks on them so what the hell - play it hard and wow, fun and a real musicality sound to it .
Yes Frankie,
you learn how to manipulate your uke and strings to get the best out of it with experience...Yes Yes..

Nice one, Stan. After reading the thread, I pulled out my Hilo soprano that I got at a gas station in Kauai. It's been sitting in the closet for months and the darn thing was still in tune. Intonation is absolutely horrible up the scale, but as a 1st fret strummer... it's great. It was the uke that started it all for me. Been through a lot of ukes since then (and more to come for sure) but that one will never go. Thanks for the reminder!
Aloha Bill,
I still got two old hilos that I need to revisit too...I plan to do set up and string changes on them..you know my OU5 was still in tune ....amazing...just a little fine tuning..

Hey Stan! I think my tendency is more to overlook ukes that I don't find as 'good looking'. As far as price goes, no. One of my fave ukes is one of the first I ever bought...a Les paul copy mahalo soprano. was $65 and to this day is still one of my nicest sounding ukes. actually this one gets plenty of love even though to me it's ugly. For some reason eugenie loves this one lots too...she likes to take strays under her wing...that's why she tolerates me I guess. nice thread Bruddah. I guess as we improve as players we must also get better at extracting the most from our instruments, eh, whatever be their cost or drawbacks in construction.
Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Yes it was easy for me to blame my cheap ukes for my lack of experience back then...and feed my UAS... makes you think after going full circle.. you can play any uke and be happy...
then you reached there.. Yup, it was a very expensive lesson ..and thank you to all the wives and girlfriends who supported us and continue to through our ukulele journey...

lol, my first uke is a Mahalo Les Paul copy and it is also one of my best sounding uke. It gets plenty of strum time with junior. :)
Yes Wmboy, I too have a first uke I still to this day play daily...and it is my go to uke...Rogue soprano... makes you think about life and other things you cherish too...

My 1st uke still gets played regularly. I had trouble bonding with a uke I had gotten later in "uke-life". Put it away for a few months and when I pulled it out I found my tastes had changed. I played more music/different kinds and this little uke had a very nice personality for certain songs. Gotta say I have to play before buy now. The only winner I got that I purchased without playing is my Koaloha concert sceptre I got from dkcrowne. That baby is a winner.
Aloha Rem50,
Yes it is important to try before you buy, another is buy from a musician...they always go through the litter and pick the best...I love my KoAloha concert too...played many sceptres and
certain ones really sound nice and rich...I am waiting for one too..woo hoo... Yes DK is a really cool guy and good friend... you know it stands for "Da King" Crown..

I sold my 1st two ukuleles. Couldn't play one, and the other one wouldn't stop buzzing, even after two visits to the shop, and a proper setup. I don't regret it, I love the one I replaced them with.

First one was a koaloha soprano pineapple, from bob's down in Waikiki. Still play it a lot, still sounds great!

@Nicky... sorry your two first ukes didn't work for you..wonder how you'd would feel about them now with proper
setups...hmmmm

@Kapahuluu50, wow you started off with a winner, you lucky bugga..ha ha I'm sure it still gets alot of playing time

Aloha Bruddah Stan,
You know all about what I have and I play and love them all. I do have my favorites of course. Forgot what the count was, something like 25 in 16 months and STILL looking for deals,hehe.
I do play my first when I see it, gave it to my daughter....................................BO..........................

Top Bottom