I'm following my passion now thanks to the Ukulele

ItsAMeCasey

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just thought I'd share a bit about how the ukulele changed the direction of my life. You see, I've had a passion for music ever since I first started playing the tuba in 7th grade. I loved music, and was a band geek all throughout intermediate and high school. I've always dreamed of making music into a career. However, it never seemed like a realistic possibility because of the lack of jobs for music majors and such.

So up until very recently I was going to college to become an elementary school teacher. However, I began to realize that the only thing that brings me TRUE happiness is playing my ukulele. You see, truth be told, I don't have much of a social life. I spend 95% of my free time playing the ukulele or doing other music related things. I guess I have a very obsessive personality, because honestly I play the ukulele 6+ hours a day. I know this is on the verge of unhealthy, but I really can't help it.

So right now I'm at that crucial point in my college career where I have to declare a major, and thanks to the ukulele I've made up my mind that I'm doing music. The ukulele has shown me a different side of the musical spectrum, and it is allowing me to express myself in the only way in which I feel I can truly do so--through music. And at this point I really can't imagine doing anything else.

I owe a sincere thanks to the ukulele. In a very real sense I found myself through it.

Sorry for the life story haha! Just had to get this out, and I figured all us UU'ers share the same passion. Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Hey, Congratulations! The most important thing in life is how we treat ourselves (and others) and part of that is finding and pursuing our true purpose. Go for it, and best wishes, mate! The details will work themselves out, they always do.
And there is nothing perverse about playing for 6 hours a day. I only wish I could!

Music teacher!!!

Ho, Brah!

I have to say that you are one very talented individual! You definitely made the right decision by following your heart, your dreams, and your passion. I believe in you Brah! And I know you will achieve great things through music! I always say, "ALWAYS CAN!!!" Keep a positive mental attitude, work hard, and you will reach and exceed all of your goals. Wishing you the best and much success!

Aloha,

Kimo

Well making that career making decision is never an easy one to make always wondering in the back of your mind if this is the right thing blah blah blah. Congrats on choosing a major and some advice for later on; no matter the outcome of your decision, don't ever look back and think "what if" 'cause we don't got no crystal ball to see into the future so live it up and enjoy the ride. :)

@ Nickie: Thanks for the kind words Nickie! Really appreciate it.

@ Gyosh: That's the current plan haha!

@ Kimo: Thanks braddah, really appreciate it. I'm prepared to work my arse off, and am ready for the diffult road that lies ahead. Thanks for believing in me!

Well making that career making decision is never an easy one to make always wondering in the back of your mind if this is the right thing blah blah blah. Congrats on choosing a major and some advice for later on; no matter the outcome of your decision, don't ever look back and think "what if" 'cause we don't got no crystal ball to see into the future so live it up and enjoy the ride. :)

that's the exact reason why I'm doing music, because I know that if I do anything else I'd looks back in 20 years and think "what if" and what not. Thanks for the kind words.

... I play the ukulele 6+ hours a day. I know this is on the verge of unhealthy, but I really can't help it....

One of my favorite musicians is the guitarist Joao Gilberto. So dedicated, and with so little to show for it at the beginning, that for years he lived in a series of friends' houses and apartments, with just a few clothes and a donated guitar.

The famous story from one place is that he found the bathroom of one of his friends had inspiring acoustics. He would apparently spend up to 8 hours a day in the bathroom, playing just one note over and over, trying to get all the nuances of the sound.

I wouldn't worry about "unhealthy" because of your practice time. It's bound to lead to something good.

Last edited:
Way to go! Casey. Quote this for you: Love what you are doing, so you won't be working another day in your life.

Many never persue their loves, in whatever they do..and always have this question..I wonder if I took that path in
my life...follow your dreams and passion and you'll find happiness.. go for it brah..thank you for sharing.

its always uplifting to read about someone actually doing what they want to do in life because as Stan has mentioned most people don't get the chance or fail to take the chance when it presents itself, good luck for the future Casey

Hello ItsAMeCasey,
Decisions decisions. Congratulations on your choice. I once had that ambition also but wife and family and feeding all of us every day got in the way.
1931jim

Good luck with you choice!
I've managed to make a degree in music into a career. Though, it is good to know ahead of time that it can be a challenge to do this.

I remember the t-shirt my school gave me when we all started our music degrees. They had this written on the back:

"Would you like fries with that?"

Casey - as others have said, you've definitely got the talent to do what you want with music. Also - most people I know who actually make a living as a musician supplement their income as private instructors - something you seem to have the capacity to do. Your general demeanor and the way you present yourself in your tutorial videos shows that pretty clearly, I think.

I was a band geek as well (saxophone) and I've always enjoyed playing music. I've played guitar casually for years. I've only started seriously practicing in the last year, trying to get my chops up enough to do something more with the guitar and ukulele than just sit around with my buddies and drink a few beers and strum a few tunes (not that I don't enjoy doing that immensely.....) I'm practicing several hours a day myself, trying to be a 'real' musician - I just wish I'd had the foresight and motivation to do it when I was 19 instead of 37, with two kids and two mortgages and not enough time. I think you're fortunate to have the opportunity and wise to give yourself a chance to pursue what you really love. Even if you end up doing something else, you'll know you tried and you'll be one hell of a ukulele player (not that you aren't already....) Good luck with it, man - keep us posted. And be sure to include Atlanta in your first world tour.....

Casey - congrats on the decision! Good luck.

I am curious about your 6+ hours a day practice time. You seem to learn covers very quickly and they are always amazingly clean. So, how do you spend your practice time? Do you just work on songs or parts of songs?....technique, scales, theory? Is there a structure to your practice?

Hey Casey, follow your passion... Life is really very short and you have a passion and talent. I have always been an artist...I have not always been able to make a living just doing my art, but it has always been vital to me, has kept me focused and creative...the challenge as one grows older is sometimes finding the time to do everything.

Good for you Casey.

Coming from a family of musicians myself, and not having taken that path 30 years ago, I now regret that decision.

I think you will do great, and perhaps as a college trained musician, you will make a huge impact bringing the Uke to the forefront as the great musical instrument that it is.

I wish you all the best, and know that you will do great!

Ivan

Hey Casey thanks for sharing that. I feel exactly the same way. I'm older than you and a short whiloe ago I found out that I can't work again due to an injury and life seemed pretty crappy. I guess I was in a bit of a dark place. About 2 or 3 months ago somebody bought me a ukulele (I played guitar already) and I just fell in love with it. It has brought me Joy. Real Joy. I probably practice for a similar amount of time and I love it! Actually, I learnt that technique Kalei uses from your tutorial video so nice one for that! You clearly have alot of talent brother, keep strummin!! Oh and keep the tutorials coming! I'm gonna get good enough to play 'Mach 4' if it kills me! Lol

You use very harsh terms to describe yourself, and it's a pity. Shall I tell you what we see from the outside?
I've had a passion for music ever since I first started playing the tuba in 7th grade. I loved music, and was a band geek all throughout intermediate and high school.
Passionate
I don't have much of a social life. I spend 95% of my free time playing the ukulele or doing other music related things. I guess I have a very obsessive personality, because honestly I play the ukulele 6+ hours a day.
Dedicated.
I know this is on the verge of unhealthy, but I really can't help it.
Unnecessarily hard on yourself.

Ignorant people write off humanities graduates, but let me assure you in the real world that isn't the case. Music is a language, and people that can speak more than one language have skills that are highly prized by employers. Out of all of my peers, the one who has done the best financially (he's now IT director for a large company) is a music graduate. His job has nothing to do with music, but he has better communication skills than the technical people that work for him so organisationally is more useful.

So don't go thinking you've burned all your bridges by making this choice. Opportunities are always there, people who tell you otherwise are losers.

Good decision Casey! You definitely have the talent to back up that choice. Don't believe that notion some people hold that if you choose a life in the arts you have to starve. That's only true for people who believe that. I went from making my money as a banker (years ago) to making my money as a comedian. I'm much happier for that career change. That doesn't work for everyone because some people are delusional about their abilities and talents when they choose their art, but as I said before, I think you're more than talented enough to make the move to a career in music. It would be a waste if you became an insurance agent or something, so well done!

Top Bottom