8 string or 4 string?

Maritoze

Reaction score
Hello all,

I want to purchase a tenor uke, and I have been looking at the Lanikai LU-8E.
I was just wondering if there are any advantages of having an 8 string. Would it be just personal preference? What would you guys suggest?Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Maritoze

They're both good, but if you're new to the uke, I'd suggest a four string because it will be easier to learn strumming and picking techniques. Once you're comfortable with the instrument, you can get an eight (in fact, you can buy several ukes, as most of us seem to do).

The Lanikai eights are very nice ukes with a full, rich sound reminiscent of a 12-string guitar (as compared to a six...). I have one and review it on my own ukulele page.

Pendz on what you wanna do. Strum or pick? It's similar to playing a 12 string and playing an 8 will somewhat feel weird at first because of the double strings. As previously mentioned a more fuller sound but there are folks who pick with an 8. Hell, get one of each and enjoy!

Thanks for the insight...I like the get a 4 and 8 string idea haha... Im going to go check some out today.... Thanks again.

bought the 8 string :) ......wow....... thats all I can say.

Congratulations on your purchase. I don't know if you answered another members question, but are you new to the uke or a seasoned player? If, when you are playing your new 8-string and start to find that it's a little difficult or you start to get frustrated, please go try a 4-string. I seen so many a time when a beginner gets an instrument they are not ready for, they get frustrated and then ends up quitting all together. imp.

...when you are playing your new 8-string and start to find that it's a little difficult or you start to get frustrated, please go try a 4-string.
Or remove the extra four from the Lanikai and see how it plays.

I personally don't find the 8-string ukes any more difficult to play, but then I had some experience with 12-string guitars. You need to work on your fingerpicking technique so you can pluck two strings together to get that full sound (I suppose you might want to pluck just one of a pair now and then).

Congratulations on your purchase. I don't know if you answered another members question, but are you new to the uke or a seasoned player? If, when you are playing your new 8-string and start to find that it's a little difficult or you start to get frustrated, please go try a 4-string. I seen so many a time when a beginner gets an instrument they are not ready for, they get frustrated and then ends up quitting all together. imp.

No I have been playing for a year and a half now... Ive been using a concert and soprano since ive started and i wanted to purchase a tenor and have played them before the 8 string is actually quite simple and the sound is incredible...I purchased it here in San Jose at Guitar Showcase.

Top Bottom