Mainland uke players!

BrittanyClark

Reaction score
Is everyone else as in love as I am!?! I own the Mainland mahogany tenor w/ slotted headstock. It's so beautiful, and looks & sounds more expensive than it really is. I am probably going to have to get the hook up with Mike to buy more.

What kind do you guys own? What do you think about it, alone, and in comparison to other ukuleles?

MAHALO! :D

I agree, I got a Mango concert a few weeks ago and although I havent had much time to play it I'm very happy with it. I can't wait to try some fluorocarbon strings on it, as I usually like them better than Aquilas on my solid ukes. But it is an absolutely beautiful uke, and I'm really loving the rope binding! Was unsure about the binding since it looks rather garish in photos, but it looks great in person. All in all a great uke at a great price!

I have the Red cedar/Rosewood Pineapple Soprano. Great full tone, beautiful build. Sounds best with Worth Medium Browns.

I am pleased with the look and sound of my mahogany concert with rope binding. I think the reason the rope binding looks better in person is because of the slightly brighter solid white binding which tones the rope look down a bit. Mainland and Uke Republic really need to get some better photos posted. The stock Aquila strings are a bit punchy (not sure why they put these on) so at some point I'll switch to some Southcoast mediums I have. There are a few runs of glue visible inside the body that I wasn't happy to see, but overall pretty nice.

I love mine too. Great loud sound. I don't play Concert much anymore so I am probably going to sell the Cedar but I will look at getting a Tenor Cedar at some point. I have a Mohag. too and had a boat paddle shaped at one point too. I have had a ton!

Just received a red cedar soprano with a bunch of small cosmetic defects but I guess it dosent really affect the sound or playability. I'd be a little more upset if I dropped more money on it but for the price you cant beat it with a stick :D

I got me a mainland honeybee...it is up there in a fun and comfortable ukulele and did I mention it sounds
great and stays in great tune..

Are all of you coming to UWC? That is the place to hangout with other Mainland uke lovers. Just sayin'

I have the same slotted headstock mahogany model. I bought it used and it came in strung low-G with a wound G string. It's the first uke I've really liked in low-g tuning. Also the first uke I've really liked with Aquila strings. It also has a MiSi pickup which is very convenient.

I've had a Mainland mango tenor with MiSi for about a year and a half and it's one of my two favorite ukes (the other is my KoAloha longneck soprano).

I have a Mainland red-cedar/rosewood concert that I converted to a coffee-can resonator. If I was a better slide player I'd play it more. :)

I had a Mainland red-cedar/rosewood tenor and it was the only one of the lot that I wasn't thrilled with. There was nothing wrong with it at all, it was just too "guitarish" and if I want something that sounds like a guitar I'll just grab one of my guitars - they don't get enough play time anyway. So, I gave this one to my son-in-law and he loves it.

John

i have a red cedar tenor and it is beautiful both in sound and in looks, i love the crispness and sustain of its unique voice, for the money these Mainlands are a fantastic buy

I started playing last summer and somehow ended up on this forum. With all the comments about Mainlands, I knew I had to try one. I got a Mainland Mahogany cutaway tenor. I was super impressed with the tone and resonance so I ordered a mahogany pineapple with a tenor neck. The tone, etc. on it is consistent with the tenor. These are really quality instruments at a very reasonable price. I'll bet they hold their value, too.

I'll bet they hold their value, too.

They don't hold their value the way a Hawaiian uke or luthier-built uke does. They do seem to hold their value better than Kala, Lanikai and the like, but it's hard to say for certain.

I don't look at ukes as an investment, anyway. For me the "dividend" is in how much enjoyment I get from them. And on that scale, dollar for dollar I don't think the Mainland ukes can be beat.

John

A shop near me is waiting on a batch of red cedar/rosewood's to come from mainland and my name is on one of them. I was going to get the soprano because it was less money but I got some money for my birthday which is in a few days so I'm thinking I might get the concert......or the tenor....Anyway! I will soon be a proud mainland owner. I've heard nothing but great things about them.

I got my red cedar soprano around Christmastime and love it. It was when Mike was offering a slight discount on cosmetic blemished ukes and I contacted him on more-or-less a whim. Everybody I know and play with thought it sounded beautiful. It took a good deal of searching to find the superficial finish issue that resulted in the discount.

Unfortunately, the honeymoon lasted 2.5 months. An improbable Rube Goldberg-type accident last month resulted in a gash in the soundhole when a big metal picture frame got knocked onto the uke as it rested in my lap. I was just sick when it happened, though it will be playable once I figure out who to take it to locally for repairs. I came very close to acquiring a 2nd Mainland to play in the meantime.

Is everyone else as in love as I am!?! I own the Mainland mahogany tenor w/ slotted headstock. It's so beautiful, and looks & sounds more expensive than it really is. I am probably going to have to get the hook up with Mike to buy more.

What kind do you guys own? What do you think about it, alone, and in comparison to other ukuleles?
Aloha Brittany,
Your hunch is right, mainlands is the big secret...what a fun and nice sounding uke...and it keeps it's tune well
you say you want more..what do you have already....

Hi Brittany

I have a Mainland Mahogany Concert Banjo Uke and just love it to bits - as do most of my friends & family, as I have now imported 12 into Australia for them as well!! That in itself is a recommendation of how good they are!!

I think us Mainland Owners are a little 'smug' at just how much bang you get for your buck with their Mainland Ukes - they play loud & proud & look good too - and don't bust the bank balance!

Hmm, that Pineapple with tenor neck sounds interesting ............

cheerio

Roberta

I have a mahogany tenor and recorded my EP on it. I love it so

Red cedar tenor here. I love it!

I own a Red cedar concert. Love especially the rope binding and the great sound/sustain.
Must be top of the pile uke in the under-300 price bracket.
I also "really" love the friction peg turners - if I think about it, I really love everything about the uke!

Top Bottom