Barre chords

ACT II

Reaction score
I am having problems holding the "E" string when I barre all four string. The e string sounds dead and does not ring. I've tried the tips on Uke Minutes and I'm still having problems.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Two tips, but not sure how to type them...

i. You can get a little more leverage for fretting barre chords cleanly by rotating the wrist of your fretting hand toward your body.

ii. Experiment with what part of your finger you use to apply the barre. Most people naturally use a fingertip to fret the G string, but this can be an ineffective position for fretting the remaining strings. If you're having trouble getting the E string to ring cleanly, try using the middle knuckle of your finger on that string.

Hope that helps. Good luck and have fun!

It just takes time - work on adjusting your index finger up and down until you find your "sweet" spot. As noted in the post above (i) - this help so that you are not just barreing with the flesh but the bony part of your index finger on the thumb side.

Here is one man's technique for Barring. At 2:55 he talks barre chord technique. As the previous posts suggest all finger shapes and sizes are different, look for more tutorials on technique and find what works for you. This is Gerald Ross,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YafhDexY6I
Good luck,
Don

Experiment with what part of your finger you use to apply the barre. Most people naturally use a fingertip to fret the G string, but this can be an ineffective position for fretting the remaining strings. If you're having trouble getting the E string to ring cleanly, try using the middle knuckle of your finger on that string.
Definitely try different finger positions by moving your finger parallel to the fret. The E string probably sounds dead because you aren't pressing it all the way to the fret. Unless the bottom of your finger is completely flat (unlikely), some spots on your finger will make better contact with the strings than other spots.

is the knuckle of your finger over the E string...if so slightly adjust the position of your finger so that a non "grooved" part of your finger is above the string. You can find a position where the "knuckle" groove is/ are not right above a string. That will improve your success as well as all the suggestions above!

I have tried some of the suggestion and having more success now. Thanx.

Top Bottom