Any UK members bought from Hawaii?

etf

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask if anyone here has bought an Ukulele from Hawaii? Just need to know how much customs added to the purchase. Been looking to buy from Hawaii Music Supply. They have some great prices compared to here in UK. But I have heard that customs add to the total inc P&P for duty plus VAT and then the couriers add a handling charge to the postage you have already paid for. Just wanted to know if anyone from UK here has bought from Hawaii so I can get good first hand knowledge of the actual cost of getting a great an Ukulele shipped over.

Many thanks,
ETF :cool:

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has bought an Ukulele from Hawaii? Just need to know how much customs added to the purchase. Been looking to buy from Hawaii Music Supply. They have some great prices compared to here in UK. But I have heard that customs add to the total inc P&P for duty plus VAT and then the couriers add a handling charge to the postage you have already paid for. Just wanted to know if anyone from UK here has bought from Hawaii so I can get good first hand knowledge of the actual cost of getting a great an Ukulele shipped over.

Many thanks,

As an Ukulele company we have shipped countless hawaiian ukes to europe and the UK, Ill do some checking and see what other customers paid. ;)

Thank you that's very kind of you.

I know I shipped to the UK and it was about about 38.00 for a soprano and then you have to pay the Vat and other charges when you pick it up...
Dealers may get a better shipping rate though

Last edited:
I've imported loads of stuff from the US, no ukes though. On average look to add 25% in duty and vat. Sometimes it's a little more sometimes a bit less but considering we pay £'s for what the Americans pay $'s often you can still be in pocket by a substantial amount (if the exchange rate is good). You're a bit up the swanny though if there are warranty issues and the supplier won't fulfil his obligations to someone on the other side of the planet.

Last edited:
Its 20% of the total cost including shipping is. I shipped in only a few weeks ago. Plus there is an £8 or £12 handling fee depending on who they ship with and who takes over delivery once its through UK customs. To be honest, my better half ordered mine and it was mainly because the particular Ukulele was not available in the UK. If it is, often there isn't much to be gained by shipping rom the US or hawaii. Initially I looked at the prices and thought, "WOW" but once you add it all up, it doesn't really work out any cheaper. Hope that helps. If you need any more info, feel free to pm me.

Hi

Just found this site which is quite good for helping to calculate the costs:

http://www.ukimports.org/

I bought from the states just a few weeks ago. You can work out your added costs exactly - I did it ahead of delivery, and the cost was bang on. Steep! Your instrument will stop in customs, and they will check it and charge.

Thank you that's very kind of you.

Sure! It looks like a couple of our customers paid about $40 on their ukes.

Besides that- let me know what your lookin for or chat me on the website and perhaps we have the tone and grain your lookin for :)

Hmm, a couple years ago, when I got my Kanile'a from MGM, the customs was at least €200, and it didn't cost what a dlx superconcert costs now. I'm in Finland, but it's EU, FWIW.

I have shipped thousands to Europe and Yes you will have a Vat ADDED of full paid price including shipping. once in awhile you can slip by customs but most preperly packaged and marked boxes will get hit with the charges...

Many, but not all, of the Ukes available in Hawaii are also easily available in Europe. It might be better to decide what you want first and then decide whether you can get it in the UK.

For instance, Kanileas are easy to buy in Europe. However, if you want one of Chuck's superb instruments, you would be better contacting him directly.

Top Bottom