soprano to tenor

1820takes2000

Reaction score
I've been playing for a little over a year with a soprano and recently bought a tenor and I'm finding that my fretting hand is getting tired a lot quicker with the tenor. I know that new strings need to be played with a bit to get "broken in" and hold a tune, but are new strings typically harder to fret as well? Both my ukes are Lanikai so I'm guessing the strings are all Aquila.

I never found new strings any harder to fret, just takes time for them to stay in tune. Aquilas are white/cream colored. Do they both have that same look?

With the longer scale, the tenor has higher tension on the strings. You are also stretching your fingers a bit more because there's more distance between the frets.

The action (distance from the bottom of the string to the fretboard) is higher on my tenor compared to my soprano. I believe this is what causes my fretting hand to become fatigued sooner when playing the tenor. Have been eyeing those nut files after reading the thread about it on here the other day.

Tenors typically have a higher string tension, and will require a bit more pressure.

My preferred size is concert, but I play my husband's tenors quite frequently. Playing the tenors is definitely more tiring for my fretting hand, although it has gotten easier over time.

itsme - the strings do look the same, both are white.
Thanks everyone! I think I'll divide my practice time between my two ukes until it starts to get easier.

You may want to look into something like a Gripmaster (http://www.gripmaster.com.au/). A friend of mine had one because he is a bass player and needs even more finger strength. They work each finger unlike a lot of grip tools. I got mine from REI and love it.

Top Bottom