Kumalae Uke Plans

weerpool

Reaction score
ok so heres another stupid question:

i have researched a little bit about some vintage Kumalae uke copys and repro works and i havent stumble across any viable build plans available on the interweb.im aware that these buggers are from the 20's and i know that Bradford have his Vintage-S ukes roughly modeled after the Kumalae ( not 100% sure on this so i apologize in advance) and i love the tight waist design and traditional peanut shape. so far ive been basing my dimensions on pictures of broken ones and some youtube videos. so have anyone of you went this road and if yes, i need help with pretty much everything. so far ive gotten only to this point:

all Koa construction
total length: 20.5"
body length: 9.125"
lower bout: 5.75"
upper bout: 4.75"
13" scale
nut width: 1-3/8"
2.125 body thickness "
ohia tuning pegs

just how paper thin is the top/soundboard? and would bookmatching the top and back as suppose to one piece matter?
where can i buy those rope binding?
is the back radiused at all?
and whats with this KONY 2012 bullshit? j/k

thanks,

johnny

Last edited:
Yes, my Vintage model ukuleles are based on a 1920 Jonah Kumalae soprano loaned to me by David Maltby who wanted me to produce a modern version.
Here are my measurements taken from it.
Body length 9.25"
Scale length 13.00" (.062" compensation)
Upper bout 4.625"
waist 3.375"
lower bout 6.0"
Max. body depth 2.5"
Min. body depth 1.875"
nut width 1.375"
width neck at 12th fret 1.69"

Notes, no fretboard, frets set directly into neck, which is flush to top, 12 frets total. Back has a single brace, with pronounced arch (7/32"). Sound hole is 1.75" in diameter, centered 3.32" from front edge. Thicknesses of top and back were 1.5 mm or less. There was no bridge patch in the originals, I recommend adding them. The top also has two transverse braces above and below the sound hole.

Brad

You are right Chuck, I use a 13.5" scale with 1/8" compensation on mine. The measurements provided are what I took off the Kumalae soprano, not necessarily how I would build it.

Brad

Yes, my Vintage model ukuleles are based on a 1920 Jonah Kumalae soprano loaned to me by David Maltby who wanted me to produce a modern version.
Here are my measurements taken from it.
Body length 9.25"
Scale length 13.00" (.062" compensation)
Upper bout 4.625"
waist 3.375"
lower bout 6.0"
Max. body depth 2.5"
Min. body depth 1.875"
nut width 1.375"
width neck at 12th fret 1.69"

Notes, no fretboard, frets set directly into neck, which is flush to top, 12 frets total. Back has a single brace, with pronounced arch (7/32"). Sound hole is 1.75" in diameter, centered 3.32" from front edge. Thicknesses of top and back were 1.5 mm or less. There was no bridge patch in the originals, I recommend adding them. The top also has two transverse braces above and below the sound hole.

Brad

thank you for the help/info Brad.

I'd guess the top and back thickness to be below 1.5mm. I don't have a micrometer to measure my Style A, but it weighs in (wooden pegs) at 240 grams.

If it helps, the bridge is a single piece of koa, no saddle but just a 2-3mm lip at the front. The nut is very narrow, probably ohia as it looks like the pegs, and no thicker than 2mm.

The Style A (and I think B as well) were unbound.

Is that enough compensation Brad? I'd be thinking at least twice that figure for a 13" scale.
Chuck!..My 1930's Martin style "O" has 1/16" (.0625") compo and it's spot on at the 12 th :) the fret crowns are very shallow tho...I believe this is a factor to consider.

This pic should be of some help to anyone building a copy of this uke.
KumalaeRoyalHawaiianUke4.jpg

DSCN2671.jpgDSCN2675.jpgstarted the vintage Kumalae- inspired Soprano uke today. i opted for mango for the first try. the final one will be of nice figured Koa.

Last edited:
thanks, what i did was i searched for a decent looking photo, went to Kinkos and blew it up to size.very crude but it worked for me. i also noticed that the shape slightly varies with each uke.

im aware that no one cares but here's another update anyway: glued on the neck( african mahogany) and first 2 coats of west systems epoxy sealer. its a cute looking uke with an awesome tap tone .DSCN2716.jpgDSCN2717.jpgDSCN2718.jpgits getting there

Last edited:
DSCN2755.jpgDSCN2758.jpgDSCN2761.jpgDSCN2767.jpg
Of course we care. It's looking really nice.

I'm curious, how do you slot the neck? I had a hard time coming up with my jig:
http://argapa.blogspot.se/2009/12/fret-slots-with-new-jig.html

Sven

thank you Sven, no i havent got around building a fretting jig like yours and yours looks pretty nifty. i make em' the tedious way ( i use a stewmac fret saw with straight edge rule) i use a makeshift knife made out of a surgical scalpel to score the line first. the uke is done and already debuted at the Reno uKE Fest.will post pics soon

Last edited:
Top Bottom