1920 JONAH KUMALAE No. 5 In Fantastic Condition

mrukulele

Reaction score
1920 JONAH KUMALAE Style 5 In Fantastic Condition

Hello Sports Fans. I have a Jonah Kumalae uke that I believe is a very early top end model (Model E, No. 25, or Style 5) - perhaps 1920 or earlier. I'd appreciate any help that you folks can offer to pinpoint the exact model number and year made.

As a footnote, the uke is in fantastic condition with no cracks, dings, splits or repairs. It retains its original finish and four original wooden friction tuners. Any info on this model is appreciated. Also wondering what it may have sold for back in the day and what the current market is like for these neat little instruments. Also curious how many of these are believed to have survived over the years.

View attachment 35250View attachment 35251View attachment 35254View attachment 35253

Last edited:
That is nice! I wouldn't mind taking it off of your hands...

I'm not sure what it is worth. Likely a pretty penny.

that is in nice condition...a deluxe model with the rope binding...Kumalae prices can differ in hawaii and in the conus....I've seen them for 300-400 for the regular models here in the islands
and outragous prices in the mainland and elsewhere... yours looks in a very nice condition and a deluxe model...I most I would pay 600-800 for it..but thats just me...

That is a spectacular Uke, I want one.

Thanks for the input so far. Does anyone know how to date these ukes? Were there any changes through the early years that differentiate early production models for later models? In terms of care, I have used a small humidifier from time to time to keep the wood from drying out and on rare occasion lightly wipe it down with wood oil. I've kept the strings fairly loose while stored. Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom